Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SM

EPA's Pruitt cites Bible to justify administration policies

Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) head Scott Pruitt said his desire to use the Earth’s resources like oil and coal is grounded in the Bible. In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network published Thursday, Pruitt said that God commands us to take care of the environment and that also means to use what He has provided. “The biblical world view with respect to these issues is that we have a responsibility to manage and cultivate, harvest the natural resources that we’ve been blessed with to truly bless our fellow mankind.”

off source. God gave us this planet, so Pruitt thinks we can destroy it and make profit. It’s what Jesus wanted after all. 

What’s the biblical defense for polluting the air and water? For introducing more harmful chemicals in the environment? 

I am neither shocked nor surprised. All this is practical political move. Religious right eats it up because this administration can do no wrong for a large number of white evangelicals who make up the Trump administration’s base.

Then again, God also gave us sun and the wind so we ought to protect the planet and rely more on renewable energy.

As a Christian in America, I believe we are incredibly privileged to live in our world of relative abundance, and while we are called upon to do a much better job of sharing what we have with those who are less fortunate both in this country and throughout the world, we are also called upon to serve as trustees of all that is good and useful about our planet for the thousands of generations yet to come.  

• Upvote 2

Let's not pretend this is shocking in any way. Certainly, it's by far the first time someone's invoking the Bible to justify their means to an end. 

2 minutes ago, WaytoPeace said:

As a Christian in America, I believe we are incredibly privileged to live in our world of relative abundance, and while we are called upon to do a much better job of sharing what we have with those who are less fortunate both in this country and throughout the world, we are also called upon to serve as trustees of all that is good and useful about our planet for the thousands of generations yet to come.  

And I appreciate this comment about not only using our abundant gifts, but being responsible about them, because they aren't just ours. 

What happened to separation of church and state? He's just using the Bible as an excuse because obviously the only God he believes in is money. 

Definitely not my definition of Christianity or any other religion. I think God of all faiths charge us to be good caretakers of the Earth. 

This issue about what the Bible says is a basic one and deserves careful thought. Looking at resource exploitation in terms of the big picture, I would say that Mr. Pruitt is viewing the world from branches of the Tree of Knowledge, a kind of no-go in the Bible. What does the view from the Tree of Life say?.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Transition said:

This issue about what the Bible says is a basic one and deserves careful thought. Looking at resource exploitation in terms of the big picture, I would say that Mr. Pruitt is viewing the world from branches of the Tree of Knowledge, a kind of no-go in the Bible. What does the view from the Tree of Life say?.

it is open for Pruitt's interpretation