Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

Space-Based Internet: Can Musk Pull This Off?

"Musk’s Space Exploration Technologies Corp., Greg Wyler’s OneWeb, Boeing, and Canada’s Telesat are among the companies that have asked the Federal Communications Commission for permission to offer broadband service using satellites. SpaceX’s plan calls for 4,425 satellites but it has also applied for another 7,518. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai has given his backing to the proposal, making it likely to win the agency’s clearance to provide broadband via low-earth orbit."

Apparently, this is fraught with problems and companies trying it are going bankrupt. Interesting to see if Musk succeeds where no one has. Again.

Why not? He got everything he needs for this, a good plan, money, determination and brilliant mind. As you already said he has done it many times before even when almost everyone was skeptical about it. 

• Like 2

Hmm, I doubt this could be cheaper than optic cables, but it sounds pretty cool.

As I sit here and wait for my pages to load like I used to when the world was tethered to dial-up, I'm going to try not to be bitter.

for you millennials, it sounded like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

And this was a real thing. image.jpeg.8c9e1de574dd9eaf8093a3cf24d8b5ee.jpeg

Ah, the bad old times!

What I wonder is won't there be too many satellites with these low-orbit ones? There are currently less than 5,000. Don't know much about satellites, though. Could be alright.