Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TS

What is going on with solar stocks?

I missed the boat on the solar stocks today. Slept in and missed the market open. FSLR is at $67.50 right now, up 6.74% this morning. SunPower is up the same, and Vivint by about 2%. Really should have bought them on the dip. 

Yeah, so much for the tax bill scare, I guess. Was looking at $FSLR last night and it was looking good. Closed yesterday up 3.32% and there's plenty of upside. Q3 was great, but ... before this morning I would have said it's better to wait to buy until after Q4 earnings come out because analysts expect a worse quarter and shares will probably dive. Everyone still thinks it's undervalued, but after this morning's uptick, I'm not sure. I missed it, too.

Agree! Great catalyst here: financials will get a boost with the launch of the Series 6 next year so I would get in on it beforehand, but maybe wait for the expected Q4 dip.

How does it compare to its peers?

Top three are $FSLR, SunPower and Vivint ... FSLR is way more expensive, and I'm kicking myself now because it's still climbing. Other two are up today, too, but Vivint is high-volatility. Don't see the same catalysts for the other two. 

$FSLR's Series 6 is the key because it is supposed to be cheaper and more efficient and will improve the bottom line ... next year. Still debating whether to buy now on the upswing but I smell the short sellers coming...

Would have been a great day trade for anyone who wasn't sleeping ...