ronwagn

Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy

1 hour ago, Gerry Maddoux said:

Vis a vis the all-important concept of herd immunity, we may have just seen the striking results of close-contact contagion. The entire 4,800 member crew of the U.S. aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt has been tested. Only 600 tested positive, and of those, only 40% have shown symptoms. That's 240 in a crew of 4,800. But only 12.5% infectivity! 

This is quite a bit lower infectivity than I would have thought. Perhaps they're better cordoned off than I am imagining. However, those are close quarters and when you consider interaction in work, dining, recreation and general assembly, it's pretty amazing to me that only a 12-13% contagion rate has occurred thus far. One might interpret this as a sign of preconditioned immunity to the virus--perhaps by enduring many previous coronavirus infections. Since most of the common colds are now due to coronaviruses, this would make sense. 

So, it may be that herd immunity--of a very unique nature--already existed in densely-packed communities even before this Covid-19 hit them. Wouldn't that be grand? I'm sure that some smart people are on this. ORO has been our standard-bearer and overall knowledge bank for this whole fascinating chapter--I'd be interested in his view. In fact, I'm beginning to think that ORO may be a polymath, and I'm pleased to learn from his thoughts. (I would strongly urge him to put these various streams of consciousness--geopolitics, Covid-19, epidemiology, the resistance to use anecdotal miracles, the oil wars, the egos of men--all down in a book.)

Those are very interesting data points. I wonder if the herd immunity will look more like SARS-CoV-1 (which is long lasting) or the common cold coronaviruses (which last about 10 months). Some modeling in a paper published in Science: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/04/new-model-looks-at-what-might-happen-if-sars-cov-2-is-here-to-stay/

On 4/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, Ward Smith said:

Are you purposely obtuse, or does it just come naturally? I'm obviously talking about the US here, and you're talking about the world? I've seen racist attacks of black groups against whites, in fact there used to be entire sections on YouTube showing these. But the democrats don't want to talk about that, it doesn't fit their whites are the cause of all evil narrative. I stand by my earlier statement. If the Demoncrats are promoting it, it's fake. 

Ward,

Ok so no attacks on blacks by whites in the US, is that your claim?  Although I was intitially talking about racist attacks on Asians.

You live in a very warped world if you think this never occurs.  Perhaps there are attacks of Asians on whites in the US as well.

I do not doubt that whites have been attacked by Blacks.

Not much point in talking to someone who only listens to those who share their point of view.

See ya.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:33 PM, D Coyne said:

Ward,

You are a funny guy.

So no racist attack has ever occurred anywhere in the World?

Do I have that right?

Obviously every single one has been staged.  :)

That is not what he said...but you already knew that...

• Upvote 1

(edited)

Funny old thread bump.

Shall we go through it and point out all the stuff that did not, or could not, happen?

Trump had no powers.

HCQ was well known over a month ago by oil forum folks, let alone physicians, yet the virus is still killing.

The economy is still closed.  

Not sure how he can be "right" about something that never happened and he has no power over.   Like, "we will build a wall and Mexico will pay for it."

Edited by Enthalpic

Can we start a #gofundme site to see if we can pay for the surgery required to pull  Enthalpic’s head out his butt?

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

That is not what he said...but you already knew that...

Doug,

Well he did say if a Democrat said it, it could not have happened, or that he would not believe that it had happened.

I believe that Democrats are opposed to racism, and thus report these incidents everywhere they occur in the World.

Take a look as to how democrats have approached racism in America, say since 1865 onwards.

Are you insinuating that republicans are NOT opposed to racism?

Very long article, well worth reading:

Coronavirus Lockdown and What You Are Not Being Told – Part 2

In Part 1 we looked at the reasons why questioning the coronavirus lockdown, despite the ever present allegation, does not demonstrate a callous disregard for human life. We are going to expand on why it doesn’t in this article.

I am based in the UK so much of this discussion relates to the decisions of the British State, but this is a global policy agenda and similar policies are found across the developed world. Effectively a small group of policy decision makers have placed an estimated 3.5 billion people under house arrest. It is only possible for them to do so with our consent. Consent is carefully cultivated by controlling the information we are given.   ...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Very long article, well worth reading:

Coronavirus Lockdown and What You Are Not Being Told – Part 2

In Part 1 we looked at the reasons why questioning the coronavirus lockdown, despite the ever present allegation, does not demonstrate a callous disregard for human life. We are going to expand on why it doesn’t in this article.

I am based in the UK so much of this discussion relates to the decisions of the British State, but this is a global policy agenda and similar policies are found across the developed world. Effectively a small group of policy decision makers have placed an estimated 3.5 billion people under house arrest. It is only possible for them to do so with our consent. Consent is carefully cultivated by controlling the information we are given.   ...

I tried, Tom, but it was too long for me.  How about you give us a summary?  You're really good at that, and I'm sure it would get more eyes.  Of course, you don't have to, I'm just sayin'.........

Anyone else like to see a summary?

• Like 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

I tried, Tom, but it was too long for me.  How about you give us a summary?  You're really good at that, and I'm sure it would get more eyes.  Of course, you don't have to, I'm just sayin'.........

Anyone else like to see a summary?

It covers in detail a lot of the points I've gently (or not so gently) tried to hammer home.

I'm out and about now, but can try to distill this long *ss article down to a summary later if you wish.  

But this writer is far better than my pithy little commenting style.

Edited by Tom Kirkman
added link to article
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, D Coyne said:

Ward,

Ok so no attacks on blacks by whites in the US, is that your claim?  Although I was intitially talking about racist attacks on Asians.

You live in a very warped world if you think this never occurs.  Perhaps there are attacks of Asians on whites in the US as well.

I do not doubt that whites have been attacked by Blacks.

Not much point in talking to someone who only listens to those who share their point of view.

See ya.

Read This book, open your eyes for a change

Over a hundred highly publicized racist attacks shown to be complete hoaxes. Someone like you, who can't get past the headline probably never figured out that Smollett was never assaulted. 

Meanwhile, only a millennial would be ignorant enough to be unaware of the atrocities committed by the Demoncrats over the years. It was the Democrats who passed and enforced the Jim Crow laws, sitting high ranked democrats were high poobahs in the KKK. The list goes on and on. 

But yeah, you're likely 30 years old, so you know everything. Good luck with that. 

3 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

Read This book, open your eyes for a change

Over a hundred highly publicized racist attacks shown to be complete hoaxes. Someone like you, who can't get past the headline probably never figured out that Smollett was never assaulted. 

Meanwhile, only a millennial would be ignorant enough to be unaware of the atrocities committed by the Demoncrats over the years. It was the Democrats who passed and enforced the Jim Crow laws, sitting high ranked democrats were high poobahs in the KKK. The list goes on and on. 

But yeah, you're likely 30 years old, so you know everything. Good luck with that. 

Well aware of racism of southern Democrats, now they are Reagan Republicans. 

Yes there can be hoaxes, but many times those that claim "hoax" are not to be believed.

Of course for you only a Democrat could commit a hoax.  :)

1 hour ago, D Coyne said:

Well aware of racism of southern Democrats, now they are Reagan Republicans. 

Yes there can be hoaxes, but many times those that claim "hoax" are not to be believed.

Of course for you only a Democrat could commit a hoax.  :)

The "Reagan Republican" is itself a hoax, under the sobriquet "the Southern Strategy", which has itself been debunked multiple times. All based on the supposed word of a dead man long after the fact. 

So, you personally believe Smollett was attacked? How about the cadet? The university students? What's your gullibility quotient? Have any money, like to play poker? Asking for a friend…

14 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

The "Reagan Republican" is itself a hoax, under the sobriquet "the Southern Strategy", which has itself been debunked multiple times. All based on the supposed word of a dead man long after the fact. 

So, you personally believe Smollett was attacked? How about the cadet? The university students? What's your gullibility quotient? Have any money, like to play poker? Asking for a friend…

Ward,

No idea who Smollet is, not familiar with the story.  I agree many southern Democrats were racists and part of the KKK, that is well known, most Southerners are now Republicans, though many are not fans of the best Republican president, in my opinion.

26 minutes ago, Ward Smith said:

What's mythological about the southern strategy? Atwater pretty clearly dished out the goods:

https://www.thenation.com/article/archive/exclusive-lee-atwaters-infamous-1981-interview-southern-strategy/

I don't think Atwater was even racist, but the Republicans definitely saw it as a once in a generation opportunity to flip the solid democratic south by courting former segregationists.

• Upvote 1