ronwagn

Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy

Sims – Get America Moving Again: Why Trump Is Right to Re-Open the Economy

2,712 US President Donald Trump gestures as he arrives to speak during a rally in Manchester, New Hampshire on February 10, 2020. (Photo by JIM WATSON / AFP) (Photo by JIM WATSON/AFP via Getty Images)
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2
  • Rolling Eye 1

14 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

How come we never see ‘Stupidity’ listed? I’m sure it ranks towards the top somewhere...🤔

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Haha 8
  • Upvote 2

Trump is basing his decisions on anti-scientific wishful thinking of his crony oligarch friends, of course their profits are vanishing, so it's back to work for the american slave citizen. How easier it all was for these plutocrats before damned Lincoln came around, right?

Meanwhile, WHO warns that USA has the potential to become the new epicenter of the pandemic, with New York showing signs of unmitigated exponential growth of cases among the inhabitants. Trump is on a good course to make this a trainwreck of epic proportions, unfortunately, and as always (remember 2008), those responsible for the crisis won't be those who will suffer the most - those will be the common citizens dying from treatable causes like heart attacks, other infections, strokes, etc. because the healthcare system will be overwhelmed and there will be nobody to treat them. The super rich, of course, won't be waiting in any queue. 

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4
  • Rolling Eye 4

The rest of that list is this forums beloved whataboutism.

Pretty sure those chronic conditions don't come and go each election cycle...If anything they will be more fatal now as people either avoid hospitals or get poor treatment due to overcrowding.

• Upvote 3
  • Rolling Eye 1

7 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

If I ever start to feel worried I listen to your President and obvious my own PM who might have got off to a bad start but I think he is following Trumps lead to a degree especially after recently announcing they will re-evaluate the partial lock-down we have in place in just 3 weeks time (similar to Trump's plan). You guys have an amazing president (probably the best for decades), he has a very calming effect and shows true leadership. There is still massive panic and people spreading fake stories about what you can and cannot do but maybe that was needed for the less intelligent to start listening and stop overcrowding the shops and going on holiday etc making things worse.

I've lost all my work now for the forseable future but strangely I feel very positive. I think this virus will pass as will the hysteria and once the medical services get the extra support they need the restrictions on what people can do will be lifted.

I've snoozed anyone on facebook who posts anything about this virus, I have stopped paying attention to the hysterical media who gleefully report each and every death to gain clicks. I've started on the garden now the weather is nice and started to think about ways to improve my health after years of severe stress and worry caused by the volatile oil industry.

Now they are getting a handle on the virus and economy I have full faith they're going to work on rebalancing the oil market whether it be by carrot or stick. US energy independence is not a gift that should be thrown away.

Best of wishes to all of you including those that will not agree with me. I am sure things will get better eventually.

Uh what?

"I've lost all my work now for the forseable future but strangely I feel very positive. I think this virus will pass as will the hysteria and once the medical services get the extra support they need"

Where will the medical support services get the extra help exactly?  Why are you so happy about being broke, dying, or both?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

If I ever start to feel worried I listen to your President and obvious my own PM who might have got off to a bad start but I think he is following Trumps lead to a degree especially after recently announcing they will re-evaluate the partial lock-down we have in place in just 3 weeks time (similar to Trump's plan). You guys have an amazing president (probably the best for decades), he has a very calming effect and shows true leadership. There is still massive panic and people spreading fake stories about what you can and cannot do but maybe that was needed for the less intelligent to start listening and stop overcrowding the shops and going on holiday etc making things worse.

I've lost all my work now for the forseable future but strangely I feel very positive. I think this virus will pass as will the hysteria and once the medical services get the extra support they need the restrictions on what people can do will be lifted.

I've snoozed anyone on facebook who posts anything about this virus, I have stopped paying attention to the hysterical media who gleefully report each and every death to gain clicks. I've started on the garden now the weather is nice and started to think about ways to improve my health after years of severe stress and worry caused by the volatile oil industry.

Now they are getting a handle on the virus and economy I have full faith they're going to work on rebalancing the oil market whether it be by carrot or stick. US energy independence is not a gift that should be thrown away.

Best of wishes to all of you including those that will not agree with me. I am sure things will get better eventually.

Opioid for the ignorant masses.

• Great Response! 3
  • Downvote 6

50 minutes ago, Daniel Ryslink said:

Trump is basing his decisions on anti-scientific wishful thinking of his crony oligarch friends, of course their profits are vanishing, so it's back to work for the american slave citizen. How easier it all was for these plutocrats before damned Lincoln came around, right?

Meanwhile, WHO warns that USA has the potential to become the new epicenter of the pandemic, with New York showing signs of unmitigated exponential growth of cases among the inhabitants. Trump is on a good course to make this a trainwreck of epic proportions, unfortunately, and as always (remember 2008), those responsible for the crisis won't be those who will suffer the most - those will be the common citizens dying from treatable causes like heart attacks, other infections, strokes, etc. because the healthcare system will be overwhelmed and there will be nobody to treat them. The super rich, of course, won't be waiting in any queue. 

The WHO is run by a Chinese intelligence asset. His country, Ethiopia, is a Belt and Road Initiative client. Heavily in hock to China. The WHO is simply an arm of the Chinese ministry of propaganda.  

The only train wreck is the one that China sent our way while lying about every aspect of the disease and denying US access to samples of the virus. CDC and FDA tripped up the process for testing as they prohibited companies and hospitals from developing their own tests while the CDC bungled its own version and didn't allow the Chinese test kits to be used. Trump had to intervene in person to get them to do anything useful at all. The state Dept. flew in two plane loads of infected Americans without coordinating medical nor CDC liaison. They just sent them home. All of the decision makers were Democrats from the top end of the permanent bureaucracy. 

Trump is entirely correct. There are several useful treatments already used on thousands of covid 19 patients around the world. The ones in intensive care are unlikely to benefit from anti viral treatment nor vaccines, the damage to their lungs is done. But early treatment of the disease is resulting in few or no new critical illnesses among those treated. That despite the FDA's resistance. 

Only in dense central metro regions like NYC is the disease spreading so rapidly. In the spreadout smaller cities and suburbia the spread is slower and nobody has been overwhelmed. Cuomo Newsom and the other governors who put their entire states into lockdown are criminal incompetents. Their rural and suburban areas are not at risk. And the damage in their dense metros is done already. The big rise in infections occurred 2 weeks ago when they were partying like its 1999 and believing the drivel from the Chinese "authorities". The average time from infection to the appearance of the patient at the hospital with severe symptoms is about two weeks, So the people in the hospitals now were infected 2 weeks ago. The lockdown had meaning if it were done then. Fortunately, many companies already sent their workers to work from home and divided up their employees into alternate crews so that they don't all get infected at once if one is infected. By now, the lockdown is too late since the disease is broadly spread, and all Cuomo is doing is hand waving and distributing misery on people who don't need to suffer through it. 

The lockdown has to be perpetual in order to stop the disease. Otherwise it will breakout every time we take the lockdown off. The goal is to let the virus infect everyone but at a slow rate so that it does not overwhelm the medical system and all can be treated so that the mortality rate is below 1% rather than the 5% mortality for the untreated.

What we need are effective treatments that are safe enough to administer at the early stages of the disease and vaccines. We already have them and production of the cheapest and most tested one (HCQ+Zpak) are already ramping up. No thanks to any Dem governor or mayor with his hair on fire.  

You are barking up the wrong tree.

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4
  • Rolling Eye 2

(edited)

16 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

The WHO is run by a Chinese intelligence asset. His country, Ethiopia, is a Belt and Road Initiative client. Heavily in hock to China. The WHO is simply an arm of the Chinese ministry of propaganda.  

The only train wreck is the one that China sent our way while lying about every aspect of the disease and denying US access to samples of the virus. CDC and FDA tripped up the process for testing as they prohibited companies and hospitals from developing their own tests while the CDC bungled its own version and didn't allow the Chinese test kits to be used. Trump had to intervene in person to get them to do anything useful at all. The state Dept. flew in two plane loads of infected Americans without coordinating medical nor CDC liaison. They just sent them home. All of the decision makers were Democrats from the top end of the permanent bureaucracy. 

Trump is entirely correct. There are several useful treatments already used on thousands of covid 19 patients around the world. The ones in intensive care are unlikely to benefit from anti viral treatment nor vaccines, the damage to their lungs is done. But early treatment of the disease is resulting in few or no new critical illnesses among those treated. That despite the FDA's resistance. 

Only in dense central metro regions like NYC is the disease spreading so rapidly. In the spreadout smaller cities and suburbia the spread is slower and nobody has been overwhelmed. Cuomo Newsom and the other governors who put their entire states into lockdown are criminal incompetents. Their rural and suburban areas are not at risk. And the damage in their dense metros is done already. The big rise in infections occurred 2 weeks ago when they were partying like its 1999 and believing the drivel from the Chinese "authorities". The average time from infection to the appearance of the patient at the hospital with severe symptoms is about two weeks, So the people in the hospitals now were infected 2 weeks ago. The lockdown had meaning if it were done then. Fortunately, many companies already sent their workers to work from home and divided up their employees into alternate crews so that they don't all get infected at once if one is infected. By now, the lockdown is too late since the disease is broadly spread, and all Cuomo is doing is hand waving and distributing misery on people who don't need to suffer through it. 

The lockdown has to be perpetual in order to stop the disease. Otherwise it will breakout every time we take the lockdown off. The goal is to let the virus infect everyone but at a slow rate so that it does not overwhelm the medical system and all can be treated so that the mortality rate is below 1% rather than the 5% mortality for the untreated.

What we need are effective treatments that are safe enough to administer at the early stages of the disease and vaccines. We already have them and production of the cheapest and most tested one (HCQ+Zpak) are already ramping up. No thanks to any Dem governor or mayor with his hair on fire.  

You are barking up the wrong tree.

Ha trump is never entirely correct - if he ever was we wouldn't be in this situation. He is a man and men are fallible.

We hope that HQC plus antibiotics will work but there is too little evidence to start running down that road.  We Know social distancing works; abandoning that at this time for money is outright foolish.

Please people - listen to the doctors, not the politicians.

Love him or hate him but trump knows nothing about how to handle this.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

President Trump hopes to reopen the economy by Easter if possible. We now have treatments and plenty of equipment that can be used. We need to throw all our resources at the critically ill but most patients will recover on their own and without hospitalization. The aged need to stay home but the rest need to get back to work as soon as possible. Otherwise we will have more damage to our economy than it can take. One is as important as the other in keeping us all healthy physically, mentally, economically, and emotionally. 

New York Post:  Coronavirus turning point in US will be earlier than predicted, Nobel laureate says

The US will see a turning point in the battle to contain coronavirus sooner than expected, according to the Nobel laureate who correctly predicted when China would get through the worst of its crisis.

Stanford University biology professor Michael Levitt, who won the 2013 Nobel Prize in chemistry, said his models don’t support predictions that the virus will wreak months or even years of social disruption or cause millions of deaths, the Los Angeles Times reported.

“What we need is to control the panic … we’re going to be fine,” assured Levitt, who correctly predicted early on that China would get through the worst of the outbreak by mid-February.

His optimistic report on China said the country would peak with around 80,000 cases and 3,250 deaths. He was not far off: China has reported 81,588 cases with 3,281 deaths as of March 24.

Now Levitt is looking at 78 countries that have reported more than 50 new infections each day.

He said he focuses on new cases — as opposed to overall totals — and sees “signs of recovery” in each of the places.

“Numbers are still noisy, but there are clear signs of slowed growth,” Levitt said, without offering a concrete date for when the US may see its turning point.

The US has confirmed more than 46,000 cases, resulting in at least 593 deaths as of Tuesday afternoon, according to figures from Johns Hopkins University.

Levitt acknowledged that not all cases have been detected in some countries, but their death tolls are on track with his findings, the outlet reported.

Though fatality rates are higher than the flu, Levitt said the pandemic is “not the end of the world,” according to the outlet.

The real situation is not as nearly as terrible as they make it out to be,” Levitt told the newspaper.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Ha trump is never entirely correct - if he ever was we wouldn't be in this situation. He is a man and men are fallible.

We hope that HQC plus antibiotics will work but there is too little evidence to start running down that road.  We Know social distancing works; abandoning that at this time for money is outright foolish.

He isn't supposed to know, he is a real estate guy and resorts businessman. He does understand how business works and how to pick people that are more likely to tell him like it is and not hoodwink him or upstage him or control him. Obviously doesn't always work his way and mistakes are close together in clusters. I have a personal dislike of him, but appreciate the "business cloud" that advises him. 

Lockdown costs >$2 Trillion a month. $10 Trillion a month globally. HCQ+Zpak costs <$50 per course. $50 million to treat 1 million symptomatic cases.  

We know that social distancing does not work. It slows the disease propagation by reducing probability of infection. Not eliminating it.  As Fauci constantly says, it bends down the curve A better mask (N95 and better yet HEPA level N100) + gloves or a wet soapy rag, and constant sanitizing of all public surfaces is what works. It is why doormen and elevator operators existed, and everyone wore gloves, because it reduced the chances of infection. It is also why copper and silver door knobs were used and why silver plates were used to serve food. All are anti microbial or minimize contact with public surfaces. It is also why doormen, porters and elevator operators as well as waiters wore gloves. And why they were white. It has been so since the discovery of pathogenic bacteria and Pasteur and Florence Nightingale fighting cholera and diphtheria. 

Since the advent of antibiotics and refrigeration we have disregarded old hygiene practices but for fast food operations. 

The drugs already tested so far are looking VERY good. It is not  a matter of hope but probability. Thousands have already been successfully treated by doctors "off label". The stats are very powerful. But not structured by the FDA's standards, which are most often useless, particularly in phase 3, which is the most costly and usually provides no new information but gives you greater statistical certainty. 

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

4 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

He isn't supposed to know, he is a real estate guy and resorts businessman. He does understand how business works and how to pick people that are more likely to tell him like it is and not hoodwink him or upstage him or control him. Obviously doesn't always work his way and mistakes are close together in clusters. I have a personal dislike of him, but appreciate the "business cloud" that advises him. 

Lockdown costs >$2 Trillion a month. $10 Trillion a month globally. HCQ+Zpak costs <$50 per course. $50 million to treat 1 million symptomatic cases.  

We know that social distancing does not work. It slows the disease propagation by reducing probability of infection. Not eliminating it.  As Fauci constantly says, it bends down the curve A better mask (N95 and better yet HEPA level N100) + gloves or a wet soapy rag, and constant sanitizing of all public surfaces is what works. It is why doormen and elevator operators existed, and everyone wore gloves, because it reduced the chances of infection. It is also why copper and silver door knobs were used and why silver plates were used to serve food. All are anti microbial or minimize contact with public surfaces. It is also why doormen, porters and elevator operators as well as waiters wore gloves. And why they were white. It has been so since the discovery of pathogenic bacteria and Pasteur and Florence Nightingale fighting cholera and diphtheria. 

Since the advent of antibiotics and refrigeration we have disregarded old hygiene practices but for fast food operations. 

The drugs already tested so far are looking VERY good. It is not  a matter of hope but probability. Thousands have already been successfully treated by doctors "off label". The stats are very powerful. But not structured by the FDA's standards, which are most often useless, particularly in phase 3, which is the most costly and usually provides no new information but gives you greater statistical certainty. 

Exactly, so it doesn't overrun health services.

I was into social distancing and excessive hand washing before it was cool....

Jan thinks he invented brass in another thread.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Enthalpic said:

Exactly, so it doesn't overrun health services.

I was into social distancing and excessive hand washing before it was cool....

Jan thinks he invented brass in another thread.

Tell that to Cuomo and co. who don't seem to understand that the R0 of the disease varies substantially with the natural "distancing" that suburbia and rural conditions provide. The main transmission modes are schools and crowded events and insufficient sanitation in offices and retail. The cities have dense public transport, common areas for hundreds or thousands of office tower workers and residential high rises. 

I walk around in public with a soapy wet rag and wipe everything before I touch it. Besides which, I am long term on colloidal silver for a chronic infection - only had one cold since I started, and that was because of an incorrectly made brand that had not been tested by a 3rd party. It was cheaper for a reason. I used to get colds all the year round + at least one and up to 3 pneumonia or bronchitis cases a year. 

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

How come we never see ‘Stupidity’ listed? I’m sure it ranks towards the top somewhere...🤔

Unintentional injuries?

• Haha 2

(edited)

6 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

How do we know social distancing works?  We can't say if it is or isn't working any faster than the virus gets weaker on it's own.  Prove that it has worked anywhere.  Remember A before B doesn't mean A caused B.  

Here is a perfect example of a key component of social distancing not working.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/586612/six-amazon-warehouses-have-coronavirus/

If everything has to be delivered and therefore touched and it's infected first, how does social distancing work?  Wiping everything down all the time is just ridiculous.  When I go to the store and pick fresh vegetables, how many others have touched them?  If you are really paranoid you can use a hydrogen peroxide and water solution to wash them but that's a lot of work.

It's inevitable that the virus will spread, that is what is scientific.  All the juju about social distancing is hocus pocus and not scientific because it's really not proving to help that much or do anything more than give govt more unearned authority and make people even stupider as they believe what they can't understand because they have been trained to all their lives.  Science is just another religion with it's own appeal to authority for enforcement.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/italy-may-set-heavier-fines-for-coronavirus-lockdown-violations/ar-BB11D4NI

Edited by wrs
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Uh what?

"I've lost all my work now for the forseable future but strangely I feel very positive. I think this virus will pass as will the hysteria and once the medical services get the extra support they need"

Where will the medical support services get the extra help exactly?  Why are you so happy about being broke, dying, or both?

The use of HCQ + Zpak looks promising.  I think we might need a few more weeks after Easter before we return to work. 

The report that the virus survived in the Princess Cruise Lines cabins for 17 days before it was sanitized demonstrates the difficulty to control the spread of the virus.

Two cautions learned from the 1918 Spanish flew.  

1. The Spanish flew mutated twice .  After the first mutation the flu became extremely deadly and fast acting. The time from first symptoms to death was in many cases less than a day.  

2. The Spanish flu did not affect the young or elderly to any extent.  It actually targeted those in their late 20's, thirty's and forty's.  They think for some reason these individuals had never built up an immunity that the elderly had. 

One never knows. 

Edited by BLA
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Opioid for the ignorant masses.

Chicken Little

At the end of this people who used this for political gains or fear mongered will have zero credibility to say the least.

I'll remember posts like this and bring them back up at the appropriate time ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I seriously doubt the medical community is lying to us. My step brother is a doctor in a semi-rural part of North Carolina, where as of Sunday there was only one case in the two counties he serves. How serious does he take this? He has split his house into two zones, and has avoided directed contact with his wife and family.

Personally I suspect the mortality rate is both higher, and lower, than we think. Because this virus spreads so effectively, and many people have mild, or no, symptoms, we don't really know the denominator for establishing the mortality rate, but I suspects it's far lower than we read. However, of those who develop serious symptoms, if they have access to excellent medical care, I think the mortality rate is low, less than 1% for those without compromised immune symptoms. But if you don't have access, now the rates for the Over 60 and compromised health is going to be north of 10%. And there is enough data out there to suggest without social distancing we will short term overwhelm the health care providers, there just isn't that much spare capacity. Young healthy people sometimes develop serious symptoms, they just typically have the strenth to survive.

Now maybe our leadership is viewing this like WW2 bomber command, we'll take the losses  because it's overall the smart choice. I doubt that's been established with any sort of mathematical modeling. But even if it has, a lot of people good with this approach won't seem so happy when it's their Grandma. On a macabra note, found a way to buy the social security system a few more years of solvency.

Interesting times.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

The latest information shows that "herd immunity" is what is ending these breakouts and "flattening the curve". We need to continue to shelter and protect those who are old and/or infirm. Sometimes younger and vigorous people will also get it though so everyone needs to be observed carefully. Life must go on though, the economy must function well in most classifications. Everyone's job is important to their well being. 

This article explains the effectiveness of herd immunity https://www.dailywire.com/news/prevention-expert-data-suggests-our-fight-against-coronavirus-may-be-worse-than-the-disease

For all my CCP Wuhan Coronavirus/Clovid 19 stories see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXY8T0j7k0oUBsHW4BfjJM__DRIyzqrDf_FSlV4hHpw/edit#

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, ronwagn said:

The latest information shows that "herd immunity" is what is ending these breakouts and "flattening the curve". We need to continue to shelter and protect those who are old and/or infirm. Sometimes younger and vigorous people will also get it though so everyone needs to be observed carefully. Life must go on though, the economy must function well in most classifications. Everyone's job is important to their well being. 

This article explains the effectiveness of herd immunity https://www.dailywire.com/news/prevention-expert-data-suggests-our-fight-against-coronavirus-may-be-worse-than-the-disease

For all my CCP Wuhan Coronavirus/Clovid 19 stories see https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MXY8T0j7k0oUBsHW4BfjJM__DRIyzqrDf_FSlV4hHpw/edit#

Absolutely right.

The entire lockdown response was idiotic from the start. You locked down the entire population instead of protecting the elderly and old that are at high risk. For everyone else, getting the disease over with is the greatest protection. Not designating protection for the high risk group and not even slightly focusing the action on their protection is truly counterproductive. You eliminated the resources of the economy in order to protect the high risk group instead of directly protecting them. 

At an average lifetime income of US individuals at $2.7 mil, the current economic shutdowns are equal to killing appx. 200,000 people a month in the US. 

That is not a proper balance of trade offs. 

The only reason we are doing this is because China did and we believe it made a difference. It did slow down the disease, but I would be surprised if it didn't infect at least 20% of the population if not all of it before the quarantine started. Thus the pandemic stopped because so many people became immune to it. Not because its spread was halted. 

Katz is absolutely right. 

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Wednesday has been deadliest day in reported coronavirus deaths in US

(CNN)More than 200 deaths from Covid-19 were reported Wednesday in the United States -- a new high for fatalities recorded in a single day.

The dramatic spike brought the number of novel coronavirus deaths since the outbreak reached the United States in late January to at least 928. Sunday morning -- less than four days ago -- the nationwide total was 326 deaths, according to CNN data derived from state reports.
Officials reported 223 deaths Wednesday, an increase higher than any other day. Tuesday saw 164 reports. Experts have said numbers will rise dramatically as more tests are administered and analyzed.
Listen to Dr. Sanjay Gupta's podcast
At the White House coronavirus task force news conference, President Donald Trump said: "The more aggressively we commit to social distancing ... the more lives we can save."
More than 65,000 people in the United States have now had a positive test for the novel coronavirus.
Faced with many new cases, leaders make exceptions to rules
With the number of positive coronavirus tests increasing sharply each day, states and local communities are having to break or bend the rules to increase the resources to fight the deadly disease.
In Texas, for instance, the state will allow medical facilities that are awaiting their licenses or those that have closed in the past 36 months to come online.
"By waiving these rules, we can quickly bring many of these facilities online to help Texas communities maximize their hospital capacity and provide care to Texans in need," Gov. Greg Abbott said.

There have been almost 1,000 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Texas and 12 deaths.
Abbott said the hospitals coming online will be administered by medical centers that have licenses. One rule being temporarily waived is the need for a facility to have a fire marshal's report to get a license.
The measures put into effect by governments also include releasing people in jail early.
At least 200 detainees will be released by Wednesday night from jails across New York City if the people don't pose a threat to the public, Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal told reporters Monday the state will initiate a process by which low-level offenders will be released from jail due to Covid-19 concerns.

--------------------

Health official: US doesn't have to become epicenter
There's still time to stop the United States from becoming the next epicenter of the coronavirus pandemic, a World Health Organization spokeswoman told CNN.
"The potential is there, but you've still got time to turn it around," WHO's Margaret Harris said.
Your coronavirus questions, answered
Though the number of cases and deaths continues to grow in the United States, it's possible to reverse the trajectory, she said.

"You've got the best public health brains in the world," Harris said. "You've got people who can harness technology brilliantly. You've got people who can really think out of the box."
The formula for success is testing people, finding each case, identifying people who have come into contact with those who have been infected, isolating those who are ill or who have been exposed and quarantining, she said.
"Finally, getting the people who are ill to treatment -- and when you do that, really, really protect your health workers," she said.
Harris previously said the United States had the potential to be the next epicenter based on the "very large acceleration" in its number of cases.

'We have overwhelmed our stocks'
California Gov. Gavin Newsom, who issued a stay-at-home order last week, said it's likely the measure will remain in place over the next two or three months.
"I think April for California would be sooner than any of the experts that I talked to would believe is possible," he said.

The state reported a teenager may have died from coronavirus Tuesday. While the Los Angeles County Public Health Department said there may be another explanation, the teen could be the first juvenile to die from Covid-19 in the United States.
A 12-year-old in Atlanta, meanwhile, is showing improvement after her family said Sunday she was fighting for her life. Wednesday, she was coming out of sedation and "responding well" to her parents, cousin Justin Anthony said.
In Louisiana, which Gov. John Bel Edwards said is experiencing the fastest growth rate of cases in the world, residents have been ordered to stay home until April 12.
"We have overwhelmed our stocks of key resources needed for our hospitals, first responders and emergency managers. There will be a long-lasting impact on the state of Louisiana," he said.
Trump on Tuesday approved Edwards' request for a major disaster declaration, which will provide more federal aid for the state, where two parishes -- Jefferson and Orleans, in metro New Orleans -- are among the hardest-hit in the country.

US studies Italy's path
As more states implement stay-at-home orders, Trump isn't planning on a nationwide quarantine, he said.
Social distancing guidelines set forth by the federal government this month will expire next week. Among other guidelines, the "15-day pause" urges Americans to avoid public gatherings with more than 10 people.

Trump foresees a rapid recovery and "packed churches all over our country" on Easter, he told Fox News on Tuesday.
"I'm not sure that's going to be the day, but I will love to aim it right at Easter Sunday," he said.
The US has turned to Italy to understand how social distancing measures can help slow the virus' spread, a health official said Tuesday.
"We're looking very closely around the world, specifically Italy right now, because they are reaching their two weeks of clear social distancing -- and looking at the impact, we are seeing the number of deaths starting to decline," Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House coronavirus response coordinator, said on the "Today" show on NBC.

'This is your future'
New York's surge in cases should serve as a warning for the rest of the country, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.
"Where we are today, you will be in three weeks or four weeks or five weeks or six weeks," he said. "What we do here will chart the course."
New York has a tally of more than 30,000 cases, several times that of any other state, and the majority of the state's cases are in New York City. Cuomo said 12% of New Yorkers who have tested positive are in the hospital and 3% of those people are in intensive care.
Cuomo attributed the high numbers to international tourism and the fact that New Yorkers live and work in close proximity to each other.

Anyone who has left New York over the past few days should self-quarantine, Birx said.
The state and city are making appeals to the federal government for more medical supplies.
New York's hospitals have enough personal protection equipment for only the next two weeks, Cuomo said. The state also needs about 30,000 ventilators. As of noon Wednesday, the state had 4,000 ventilators in hospitals, had 4,000 more on the way from the federal government, had purchased another 7,000 and is "still shopping," the governor said.
The ventilators are the "difference between life and death for thousands of New Yorkers," de Blasio said.
In addition, the state needs another 140,000 beds and 40,000 intensive care beds, on top of the roughly 53,000 beds it already has, Cuomo has said.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1