Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
James Regan

Breaking News - Strategic Strikes on Chinese Troll Farms

(edited)

Would this be acceptable?

Make this fkr work until his fingers drop off, just get him off latest discussions, there are more of us,

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

wow that was a quick and direct hit.......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mods ban spammers as soon as we see them.  They are persistent.

After I ban a spammer, I also additionallu prevent that specific IP address from accessing this forum.  Hasn't seemed to help though. 

Flooding forums with spam is a specific Chinese troll farm strategy, to drive away viewers of forums that do not comply with glorifying CCP / Xi.  I remain unrepentant.

B9xpmcw.jpg.0cae59e20f8db8a7d8cd6e7e6960bfd0.jpg

ka92ft8vfcj41.jpg.120a4d67da08c03f4304356a6245ba35.jpg

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

After I ban a spammer, I also additionallu prevent that specific IP address from accessing this forum.  Hasn't seemed to help though. 

Flooding forums with spam is a specific Chinese troll farm strategy, to drive away viewers of forums that do not comply with glorifying CCP / Xi.  I remain unrepentant.

B9xpmcw.jpg.0cae59e20f8db8a7d8cd6e7e6960bfd0.jpg

ka92ft8vfcj41.jpg.120a4d67da08c03f4304356a6245ba35.jpg

China loves TIBET, TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET TIBET & TIBET

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3un58d.jpg.22e4de6f44360461c486d253d8067e7e.jpg

(Tip of the hat to the Mel Brooks comedy movie "The Producers")

• Haha 3

On 3/30/2020 at 11:58 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Flooding forums with spam is a specific Chinese troll farm strategy, to drive away viewers of forums that do not comply

My observations:

1.Spam could be blocked by small changes to existing procedures: a/ check the message for Chinese characters ( if they are Chinese, could be Korean or Japanese, so check them too) b/ in case YES and thread is started by new user/that has not published anything before at oilprice : stop publication until it is moderated.

2. If you want to be super prudent about free speech Please add button with category: New threads under review : there anybody can find all the spam until it is taken care of.

3. I think the spam could be effect of troll farms from China OR by people that want this spam to appear as such. This site is openly anti-Chinese.

I do not have anything in particular against Chinese language but After watching so many spam Messages I noticed that I get irritated when just look at Chinese characters at oilprice forum - this means spam at Lost time.

So i think these spammers could be just Chinese in deliberate appearance.

4. Another argument for anti-Chinese , racist way of the spam: Why spam would be generated in Chinese for English speaking audience, we do not understand the message, whether they are advertising sth or it is political.

14 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

1.Spam could be blocked by small changes to existing procedures: a/ check the message for Chinese characters ( if they are Chinese, could be Korean or Japanese, so check them too) b/ in case YES and thread is started by new user/that has not published anything before at oilprice : stop publication until it is moderated.

Bayesian filters such as "Dspam" exist that tokenize text and after being told what mail is a spam and what mail is not, they learn the characteristic sequences and patterns of those tokens that mean Spam themselves, and a well trained filter has over 99 percent success of auto-flagging spam, but you have to train it. 

It is however far more efficient than doing it manually and crudely such as deleting everything Chinese, etc. I don't know if the particular software these forums use can employ a Bayesian filter as a module, an admin (Tom?) would probably know. 

“3. I think the spam could be effect of troll farms from China OR by people that want this spam to appear as such. This site is openly anti-Chinese.”

Patently incorrect. This site is openly anti the CHINESE GOVERNMENT. It is actually quite pro in regards to the Chinese people.

Hence the spam attacks.

• Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, Marcin2 said:

My observations:

2. If you want to be super prudent about free speech Please add button with category: New threads under review : there anybody can find all the spam until it is taken care of.

3. I think the spam could be effect of troll farms from China OR by people that want this spam to appear as such. This site is openly anti-Chinese.

I do not have anything in particular against Chinese language but After watching so many spam Messages I noticed that I get irritated when just look at Chinese characters at oilprice forum - this means spam at Lost time.

4. Another argument for anti-Chinese , racist way of the spam: Why spam would be generated in Chinese for English speaking audience, we do not understand the message, whether they are advertising sth or it is political.

@CMOP

2 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

Bayesian filters such as "Dspam" exist that tokenize text and after being told what mail is a spam and what mail is not, they learn the characteristic sequences and patterns of those tokens that mean Spam themselves, and a well trained filter has over 99 percent success of auto-flagging spam, but you have to train it. 

It is however far more efficient than doing it manually and crudely such as deleting everything Chinese, etc. I don't know if the particular software these forums use can employ a Bayesian filter as a module, an admin (Tom?) would probably know. 

I'm not Oil Price staff, and I'm not an admin.  Strictly a volunteer moderator.

Moderators have a separate control panel, where spammers can get banned with 2 mouse clicks, and all of their posts and threads get hidden.

Mods can also follow up and issue further warnings to spammers, including banning access to the site, and add an additional note.  This morning I amused myself by issuing 666 warning points to one of this morning's spammers, as well as adding in 2 of my memes in a note to the spammer.  May as well well have some fun poking back at the spammers.  One spammer recently had almost 300 threads, and I gave him 19 million warning points.  Just because.

Untitled.png.190c6da47541addc70b95deea4db1728.png

edict.jpeg.6793c084ff67642ac0e5af264c0b5ff1.jpeg

springtime.jpg.54674089c574812f2cf414bf70a56936.jpg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Marcin2 said:

My observations:

5. Look for obvious grammar and spelling, or abnormal words used, phrases that don't just look right.

Caution - Be careful doing this as you may ban half of the forum, Dougie pay attention now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

14 hours ago, Yoshiro Kamamura said:

Language of this forum is English. It is about manually moderating Thread start that has Chinese characters. You can use English characters to start a thread and then immediately add comment below WITH Chinese characters.

At times I get a feeling that Tom to some extent enjoys or at least is personally proud about his crusade against spammers.

And on the basis of Tom's many previous comments about being uncompromised defender of free speech (mentioning about these sites with satire/parody that are being banned as fake news) I think that lack of preventive censorship at this forum is valued by Tom, even if at times it is causing disturbances for users.

12 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

“3. I think the spam could be effect of troll farms from China OR by people that want this spam to appear as such. This site is openly anti-Chinese.”

Patently incorrect. This site is openly anti the CHINESE GOVERNMENT. It is actually quite pro in regards to the Chinese people.

Hence the spam attacks.

But how you can separate one from the other.

According to independent polls, vast majority of Chinese are proud about how the country is run.

Even if they are brainwashed, over 1 billion people back this authocracy slash dictatorship.

So if you are openly anti CCP, for Chinese people you are also anti Chinese.

Both beliefs: anti CCP = anti Chinese (from Chinese point of view) or anti CCP <> anti Chinese (from outsider, but rational point of view) have merit.

Personal note: If Polish communist authorities where only half as capable in economic matters as their Chinese comrades are, we would be still under the red banner, prizing Lenin and the pack.

Nearly all civil uprisings against communist rule were just after prices of meat and vodka were increased.

My observation is that humans are animals that could be easily coerced if you give them panem et circenses

• Upvote 1
  • Rolling Eye 1

1 hour ago, Marcin2 said:

At times I get a feeling that Tom to some extent enjoys or at least is personally proud about his crusade against spammers.

Nah, spammers are an annoying pain in the butt. 

Had a similar problem with spammers on the old Oilpro forum.  The IT guys were able to block most of them.

• Like 1

Trolling pandemic out of the land of Xi- TIBET is the BEST