Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
J Owens

Martin Shkreli Sentenced To 7 Years In Jail

Is Martin Shkreli's 7-year sentence too harsh?   7 members have voted

1. 1. Is Martin Shkreli's 7-year sentence too harsh?

• Yes, 7 years for securities fraud is far too much
    • No, 7 years is exactly what he deserves
    • Only 7 years? Is there no justice in this world?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know it won't have much of an impact on energy markets - but there are some bits of news simply worth discussion.

Dirt bag - it's what he deserves. Hoped he would have received more. 

12 minutes ago, J Owens said:

I know it won't have much of an impact on energy markets - but there are some bits of news simply worth discussion.

I am satisfied with whatever the justice system has decided to dish out. As for what he deserves, that's an entirely different story. Restitution. 

Seven years. In light of the hundred of thousands of young Americans that was sentenced to thirty years for dealing little more than a ounce of crack cocaine, what a slap in the face... This is not to undermine the ravenous nature of drug dealing, but gee whiz...  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, lilloff said:

Seven years. In light of the hundred of thousands of young Americans that was sentenced to thirty years for dealing little more than a ounce of crack cocaine, what a slap in the face... This is not to undermine the ravenous nature of drug dealing, but gee whiz...  

While crack ruins lives and even ends them, and the other is merely financial ruin, I'm okay with knowing that the drug dealers are safely stowed away in prison for more than the seven years discussed here. Securities fraud is hardly life-threatening. That said, I'm not entirely sure here if the drugs that were withheld from people who couldn't afford the huge markup for a much-needed drug, resulted in death. 

I'm going with 7 years largely because of the lighter sentences much worse financial crimes have earned. I think the pharma industry needs to be made an example of, definitely. It represents a lot that is wrong with our society. However, we can't barrel into it with a 25-year sentence right off the bat. There are worse cases. This is a starting point. We can have as much disdain for Shkreli personally as we like, but at the end of the day, we have to think rationally. Not that I'm not hoping he has 'fun' in prison ...