Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DD

2020 - Electricity From Renewables Will Be Cheaper Than From Most Fossil Fuels?

Based on projects that have been auctioned and will be in development over the coming years, renewable energy will end up being competitive or even cheaper than fossil fuels by 2020. 
“Electricity from renewables will soon be consistently cheaper than from most fossil fuels”, the noted International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA)  in their executive summary.  In my opinion it is realistic, but not as fast as they say.

In many of countries they told the story over and over again since more than ten years. But it hasn't become true.

• Upvote 1

Nice, but it's near the fantasy... Utopia, for now. 

The problem is that they only work when they want. All the time you have a old coal generator as stand by... 

9 minutes ago, franco said:

Nice, but it's near the fantasy... Utopia, for now. 

I agree. Too early, and too optimistic. When they make solar panels and wind turbines produce power 24/7 than they can expect result. Good luck until then :) 

C'mon guys, easy with this process...

Well, it's a nice thought. And I guess I'm not saying it won't happen, but... Actually, yes. I'm saying that won't happen. 

The subject is too general and vague. For example, does the comparison includes the cost of storage for intermittent sources?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMZ said:

The subject is too general and vague. For example, does the comparison includes the cost of storage for intermittent sources?

Well, yes, I suppose it's helpful to keep it vague--gives you more opportunity to achieve your goals when you can change the parameters halful through. 

Progress in renewable energy very seems slow when you look at today's percentage of all energy contributed by wind and solar.

The view is different when you look at the percentage of new additions to electric power supply. In many areas, it's mostly wind and solar. This trend will add up over time.

Of course everyone is watching the transportation sector where oil still reins and electric power is minuscule. But we literally do not know what the next day may bring in storage or fuel cell technology. Stay tuned!

One thing is for sure, real transition away from fossil fuel dependency is looking very possible. Transition is in the air for most of the world. Our federal government is due to lag quite a bit compared to other contributors. However, major corporations and rich investors and entrepreneurs in the U.S. are making it look like we don't need as much government as maybe we thought!

• Upvote 2

On ‎12‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 5:27 PM, Pavel said:

The problem is that they only work when they want. All the time you have a old coal generator as stand by... 

Please, not dirty old coal as stand-by. Rather gas, even fuel oil, or nuclear. You are right. Renewable can be as cheap as it likes but while it is intermittent, depending on wind, wave or sun it needs something else for base-load generation until there is a major breakthrough in battery technology and cost. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1