Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BB

Chinese Communist Party

On 4/11/2020 at 1:24 PM, PTakacs said:

This is neither here nor there. I wasn't even aware that China Telecom operates here. How many customers does it have here? 500? Could this be just another political statement with little substance? Could we be barking at the wrong tree again? Did China Telecom cause all the deaths? Maybe that's it! 

But I guess if one has nothing better to say ... 

OR, maybe someone is purposely trying to divert our attention from finding a set of real solutions. Hmm, quarantining NYC right now or perhaps just banning China Telecom! Brilliant!

The correct phrase is ‘...barking UP the wrong tree’

This refers to hunting with dogs that chase the prey up tree and then bark to keep it treed until the hunter shows up.

That said, keeping Chinese telecommunications out of the US network is wise.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:37 AM, Douglas Buckland said:

I think you are missing the ‘economy of scale’ here. What is the population of Taiwan compared to the US? What is the physical size (area) of Taiwan compared to the US? And do not forget that Taiwan is an island, much easier to isolate.

Why let non-US citizens in at all?

There would be a much greater financial cost to implement your plan in the US as opposed to Taiwan, who pays for that? Perhaps AOC and the New Green Deal?

The fact is, given the information from China, and THEIR failure to cancel all international flights, this virus was spreading in the States before anyone had any idea as to how contagious, or deadly, this virus was.

It nos economy of scale. It's people management, because all you need to manage are inbound people that may be infected, and Taiwan had more to manage. As to economics, who is the no.1 trading partner of Taiwan? It is China, but Taiwan was decisive enough to know when to cut off an arm to save the body.

If you expect China to have canceled all international flights, wouldn't that run against your economy of scale argument? I mean most of those returning to the US from China are US citizens. My company in fact chartered a flight to bring back 250 expats from China.

Shouldn't we be cancelling all international flights now since our "international" cities like NYC have become epicenters? Like I said before, a sick New Yorkers can still legally (and easily) leave the state or the country to infect other places -- and they certainly do.