Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Daylight Derrick hand

Sharp real pure true hard working roughneck needing work..

Knowledgeable with plumbing pipe electrical equipment manual labor mechanically smart from small motors to big C16 cat motors an so forth can any one help an yes I know I'm not the only one looking...

• Rolling Eye 1

When did they start having ‘daylight derrick hands’? Does this mean there is now a night derrick hand?

The drill crews offshore, and in remote locations onshore USED to work 12 hour tours, changing mid-day/mid-night, so everyone worked part of a day and part of the night.

Seriously, this is news to me!

@James Regan Jimmy, Did you see this?

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

When did they start having ‘daylight derrick hands’? Does this mean there is now a night derrick hand?

The drill crews offshore, and in remote locations onshore USED to work 12 hour tours, changing mid-day/mid-night, so everyone worked part of a day and part of the night.

every job I have done shift change is at 6 in morning or 6 in evening so may have changed, still 12 hr shifts tho

1 hour ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Never heard of a Daylight Derrickman, must be a Shale Position, however many land jobs run 8 hour shifts, a Tour is Midnight to Midday due to the IADC report, short changes would happen and we would flip to midday to midnight or vice versa.

Only staff or maintenance would work days or nights.

But Douglas remember your an oilfield hand its changed days now, the oilfield is most definitely not what it was, and my journeymen told me the same when I started, so I guess we need to not project our hardworking values onto the new generation, they have done a good job so far of running amock in the sand box. No more beatings behind the draw works this I think is the main issue 😂 

• Upvote 1

Guys, your comments are not helpful!   Our boy needs some work.  I would suggest trying a trucking company, those guys always need men to fix things, especially when the trucks and trailers get beat on by the drivers....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cbrasher1 said:

every job I have done shift change is at 6 in morning or 6 in evening so may have changed, still 12 hr shifts tho

Usually SOME ‘disciplines’ relieve each other 6 to 6. Others, 12 to 12. When I was ‘subsea-ing’ I worked the night tour, 6pm to 6am. The drill crews changed out at midday/midnight. Electricians, mechanics, toolpusher, worked ‘days’ (6am to 6pm) unless things were going to shit, then everyone worked as long as it took to sort things out.

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Never heard of a Daylight Derrickman, must be a Shale Position, however many land jobs run 8 hour shifts, a Tour is Midnight to Midday due to the IADC report, short changes would happen and we would flip to midday to midnight or vice versa.

Only staff or maintenance would work days or nights.

But Douglas remember your an oilfield hand its changed days now, the oilfield is most definitely not what it was, and my journeymen told me the same when I started, so I guess we need to not project our hardworking values onto the new generation, they have done a good job so far of running amock in the sand box. No more beatings behind the draw works this I think is the main issue 😂 

Jimmy, the 8 hour ‘shifts’ on some dirt rigs are still referred to as tours...

Nobody ever got pummeled behind the drawworks! Just ask anybody!😂

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Ggg

27 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Jimmy, the 8 hour ‘shifts’ on some dirt rigs are still referred to as tours...

Nobody ever got pummeled behind the drawworks! Just ask anybody!😂

Here we go we all learned something

Tour (pronounced “tower”)

A working shift for drilling crew or other oilfield workers. The most common tour is 8 hours; the three daily tours are called daylight, evening (or afternoon), and graveyard (or morning). Sometimes 12-hour tours are used, especially on offshore rigs; they are called simply day tour and night tour.

15 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Sometimes 12-hour tours are used, especially on offshore rigs; they are called simply day tour and night tour.

In Asia on offshore oil platforms, I've only ever seen 6am to 6pm shifts.  Never heard of 12am to 12pm shifts before this thread.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

In Asia on offshore oil platforms, I've only ever seen 6am to 6pm shifts.  Never heard of 12am to 12pm shifts before this thread.

Very common Tom on DRILLING UNITS. It keeps continuity of the operation during a 24 hour period. You really do not want everyone coming off tour at the same time.

• Like 2

Things get ‘dropped in the cracks’ if everyone familiar with the days activities comes off tour at the same time.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

See we are all learning, this is real forum stuff 👏

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We had 3 tours on our rig.  8 Hours each tour.  When we worked daylight we called it a daylight tour.  

Mr. Daylight Derrick hand

While I am unable to offer you any specific information to help in your current situation, I will state a few pertinent observations that emanate from a 40+ year time span as owner/operator  of several small successful businesses ...

Good for you to reach out. This simple act alone displays a degree of humility - so often misconstrued as a symptom of weakness. Quite, QUITE the opposite, I assure you. Those of us who have traversed from the abyss to the heights, often repetitively, are rock solid evidence of the ephemeral nature of events.

The core qualities of honesty, integrity, determination are eternally sought after in all commercial endeavors, time/location/industry specific being the only variables.

When (not 'if' by my reckoning) you re-engage in Da Bidness, your future employers will be the bigger beneficiaries of your talents. (Marcellus/Utica regions may - say again, may - offer relatively more attractive economical environment.)

In the short term, virtually any display of industrious may show quick results as these current economic disruptions are unprecedented.

Best wishes to you, sir.

For folks discussing the always-enlightening particulars of work scheduling, those who have engaged in "holy shit" situations well recognize how ... flexible ... set hours can become.

My personal 52 straight hour shift occurred during a 'rig move from hell' event when the anchors for our semi fucked up 8 ways to Sunday over a multi day period off the Campos field in Brazil.

Mercifully, my tender allowed me a 3 hour snooze while straddling an anchor in about 10 feet of water.

Hang in there Mr. Derrick.

• Like 1