Rodent

I vote for Exxon

Which "dirty oil" company could use a rebrand?   18 members have voted

1. 1. The name of the company that has the worst reputation is:

• Exxon: synonymous with disaster
    • BP: they should shift back to Amoco to sever its ties to the Horizon disaster
    • Aramco: The name is associated with the oil embargo and frowned upon by the western world
    • Enbridge: Pipelines already have a bad name, but Enbridge's ties to the largest inland oil spill in the US makes it ripe for rebrand
    • PDVSA: no explanation needed
    • Schlumberger: Some nicknames just roll off the tongue, don't they? Also tied to Horizon disaster "SlumberJ"
    • Other: explain below

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exxon's name has been drug through the mud most of all, I think. 

• Upvote 1

It was a tough choice but I went with BP.

From a purely phonetic point of view I like Enbridge, Kinder Morgan, and Schlum to never change their names.

As sullied a name as BP does have, which would have been my second choice, I think Exxon still has the worst wrap.

I vote for PDVSA. But now that I did that, I think it is silly because no matter what they change their name to, they're going to ruin it as well.

• Upvote 3

I guess I always think of Shell because of Nigeria, but BP pops up immediately in my head as well. 

• Like 1

BP, just because they surveyed me about a month before the disaster in the Gulf, and were trying to position themselves as the eco friendly big oil company. 

• Like 2

There was some interesting testimony of the president of BP before the US Congress.  When asked point-blank:  "Was anyone fired over this complete disaster?", the President replied, "No."  Tony Hayward eventually was "discharged"  from BP over this mess, which cost BP some 54 billion.  Some of that was recouped by lawsuits against the other participants on the oil rig, and with partnerships, especially Andarko Petroleum.  

BP is so massive that even 54 billion did not slow it down.  Now, that is impressive!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's interesting to watch the different naming philosophies of these super majors, for instance after BP swallowed up Arco and then Amoco in quick succession their name didn't change (except for about one year around 1988-1999 when they did call themselves BP Amoco, but their email addresses remained strictly "bp.com", which was a good indicator of their longer term intentions). ExxonMobil and ConocoPhillips on the other hand kept the names of their most recent acquisitions which was good for the morale of the "acquired party" and no doubt, at least internally, they could more genuinely use the word "merger". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Tough call but BP had always cut corners and the Horizon disaster or something similar was almost inevitable. Then Exxon still had to live down the Valdez disaster. Both companies had to deal with almost insurmountable PR problems and as they are "big oil" they are targets for the environmentalist organizations. Still, my vote goes to PDVSA because of the political mess in Venezuela has lead to a greater disaster for a country that should be an economic powerhouse in South America but instead become an economic basketcase due to its spiral into Communism. The effects are spreading across borders into neighboring countries as the fleeing mass of humanity pressures its neighbors. Meanwhile, PDVSA has falling production to 30 year lows, crumbling infrastructure, unsafe pipelines and an death trap of a refinery, piss poor management under the direction of incompetent lackies for the tyrannical dictatorship. It would not be surprising if we see more disasters and perhaps much death and destruction as PDVSA falls further into disrepair and skilled staff and workers flee.