Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Prometheus1354

The President is 'all in' on US Space Resource exploration & development

(edited)

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Trump-Backs-Moon-Mining-Initiative-With-Executive-Order.html

From day one the President has been an active, vocal Leader of & for US Manned Space action.  He reconvened the National Space Council (NSC) under the very capable and enthusiastic leadership of VP Pence. This quickly resulted in Space Directive 1; which established the primary goal of NASA and other Manned Spaceflight activities as: Resumption of Manned spaceflight too the Moon. Establishment of a sustainable permanent presence on the Lunar surface. Followed by Manned missions too Mars.  And the country will do these things in a timely manner. No longer will we accept the decades long 'time tables' of the past. No longer will we say We're going too the Moon in twenty or more years. No.  Hence forth we will enter into activities that are driven by need, technological adaptation and speed.  

The President has also been very supportive of our friends and allies being a strong part of these objectives.  With this new executive order, he has put an undeniable stamp upon his intent that the US not only move out into the cosmos. We do it with the intent of identifying resources and Developing said resources.  More importantly, he is doing this to send a clear message too those (UN) who do not care for or share in the vision of US Greatness; that they cannot and Will NOT stand in our way. 

CIS-Lunar space will be the new 'West' where companies will stake their claim and grow new industries. Grow new technologies. Launch humanity outward enabling us too become a true Spacefaring species.  It's in our DNA to explore. It's in our interest economically and socially. It's in our interest for the survival of Humanity.  Make no mistake; the big rock that fell upon the face of the earth wiping out the dinosaurs. It can & Will happen again.  Unlike T-Rex, humans have the ability to do something, giving us the chance at survival. 

adAstra!

Edited by Prometheus1354

7 hours ago, Prometheus1354 said:

CIS-Lunar space will be the new 'West' where companies will stake their claim and grow new industries. Grow new technologies. Launch humanity outward enabling us too become a true Spacefaring species. 

I'm not against going back into space. Far from it. But its also good not to get carried away with ideas about the commercial side. The reason there has been so little commercial activity in space to date is that no-one has been able to think of any commercial venture that requires a venture into space. There is no advantage to manufacturing in orbit and no materials/minerals that cannot be obtained on Earth and, despite decades of doomsaying about resource shortages, no real indications of fundamental limits of any resources.. About the only commercial suggestion I've heard that makes any sense is that if fusion generators really get going, then the moon will be a major source of the Helium3 required. Good if it happens. I won't hold my breath. This problem is evident in the talk about going to Mars. Scientists would investigate in depth a whole new world, and come home again after a year or so. Getting settlers out to a whole new world where you can't go outside is another problem entirely. And, not incidentally, what would they do once they got there?

47 minutes ago, markslawson said:

I'm not against going back into space. Far from it. But its also good not to get carried away with ideas about the commercial side. The reason there has been so little commercial activity in space to date is that no-one has been able to think of any commercial venture that requires a venture into space. There is no advantage to manufacturing in orbit and no materials/minerals that cannot be obtained on Earth and, despite decades of doomsaying about resource shortages, no real indications of fundamental limits of any resources.. About the only commercial suggestion I've heard that makes any sense is that if fusion generators really get going, then the moon will be a major source of the Helium3 required. Good if it happens. I won't hold my breath. This problem is evident in the talk about going to Mars. Scientists would investigate in depth a whole new world, and come home again after a year or so. Getting settlers out to a whole new world where you can't go outside is another problem entirely. And, not incidentally, what would they do once they got there?

I understand your view, but I might address part of it with:  Low cost launch options.  Up until the last half decade, it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per pound to get anything up outta earths gravity well to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) thus it took govt;s to do those types of thigs. Not to mention, few rides to orbit.  

Now that we are seeing viable options for a ride up hill we will start seeing companies look for ways to operate in space.  There are also companies who see a need for on orbit facilities.  Bigelow was one such company. Not so much now it seems. But there are others who have done or are researching the 'need' with an eye to fulfilling that need.  Space tourism is the one area that will 'take off' first. Virgin Galactic has a wait list of over 600 people who've already put down the $25K Deposit against a $250K ticket for a 12-15 min sub orbital hop.  Which BTW is exactly how long Adm. Shepard's flight was that set us on a course for the Moon. And that is but one company out of many who are setting themselves up as a space tourism provider. 

I understand your skepticism. I've always said as long as govt's are the only way to space, we will never really get off the planet.  Now we have low(er) cost access to space.  I also have felt for quite some time; the minute Caterpillar figures out a way to "make a buck In space" you'll see the fuse has been lit.  The matchbox has been opened.  CAT is working on just such equipment as we speak...

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Prometheus1354 said:

I understand your view, but I might address part of it with:  Low cost launch options.  Up until the last half decade, it cost hundreds of thousands of dollars per pound to get anything up outta earths gravity well to Low Earth Orbit (LEO) thus it took govt;s to do those types of thigs. Not to mention, few rides to orbit.  

Oh sure, no argument about launch costs. I have a friend who bends my ear about that stuff .. so I suppose some commercial activity will follow. However, I am curious on one point if companies want orbital facilities what do they want them for? Satellites, sure.. but a few micro-satellites is plenty of orbital fire-power. Do individual companies want much more?

20 hours ago, markslawson said:

Oh sure, no argument about launch costs. I have a friend who bends my ear about that stuff .. so I suppose some commercial activity will follow. However, I am curious on one point if companies want orbital facilities what do they want them for? Satellites, sure.. but a few micro-satellites is plenty of orbital fire-power. Do individual companies want much more?

I'm glad you asked, there was a joint NASA/Caterpillar program (2004-13) which saw them work together on design and concepts for Lunar surface excavation/regolith moving equipment.  They also looked at how adaptable those designs were for use on Mars.  Then in 2019 they restarted those discussions in greater detail.  NASA & John Deere have also worked together.  In Deere's case, they turned too NASA for help with their 'self steer' program which incorporates GPS into the onboard computers which run the various tractors. Providing the farmer the ability to 'map' a field and tell the tractor where to go without driver input.  Nothing is in the works at the moment but my guess is they will collaborate on future programs.  Toyota has already signed on for Artemis via JAXA (Japans version of NASA) to build multiple pressurized lunar rovers.  The rovers will carry up to 4 astronauts on transits of up too 2 weeks in duration away from the colony/base. They would be in a 'shirt sleeve' environ inside the cabin with a pass through system allowing the astronaut to 'step into/out of' their pressurized surface activity suits.

I also came across this article about CAT & NASA

https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a29587959/caterpillar-space-mining/

Seems they are certainly looking at this in serious terms.  I like the quote by Angel Abbud-Madrid, director of the Center for Space Resources at the Colorado School of Mines when asked about the viability of bringing raw materials extracted from Luna back to Earth:

Bringing all these materials back to Earth? That's unlikely.

“The economic analysis doesn’t make sense,”

In addressing your question about what would they do?  Build the infrastructure to move beyond the Earth Moon system. Out to Mars. Out into the 'Belt. It costs too much to keep lofting everything we need up outta Earth's gravity well.  Not too mention, the logistical nightmare of having to 'wait' for a lunch of (X) when it's already at your finger tips on the lunar surface etc...

3 hours ago, Prometheus1354 said:

I'm glad you asked, there was a joint NASA/Caterpillar program (2004-13) which saw them work together on design and concepts for Lunar surface excavation/regolith moving equipment.  They also looked at how adaptable those designs were for use on Mars. 

Okay, thanks for that.. although I see most of is still really in the discussion/planning phase and still don't quite see what the commercial impetus there would be but never mind, I personally hope it all works out. let's move on to another debate.. thanks for the references..