BB

What is the opposite of oil prices?

(edited)

Dear users, 

I hope I am asking a logical question and hope to receive an answer. What commodities price does rise specifically just because oil prices dropped down. Regardless of any other factors out there. What is the opposite of oil prices? No matter it's rising and the other one declining or the other way around. 

Thank you 

Edited by Tom Kirkman
Moderator edit - changed thread title from "Mr" to "What is the opposite of oil prices?"
  • Like 1

Crude oil prices are too volatile. Nothing can increase with crude oil prices decreasing and vice versa except shorts and hedging prices for contracts.

• Like 1

Historically, the dollar index.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JoMack said:

Crude oil prices are too volatile. Nothing can increase with crude oil prices decreasing and vice versa except shorts and hedging prices for contracts.

Thank you. I thought maybe gas prices or any  other commodity moves the opposite direction of oil prices. 

3 hours ago, surrept33 said:

Historically, the dollar index.

Thank you 

Jet-fuel is the big factor in air carrier operations.  I think you will find that, when oil prices drop, jet-fuel prices will drop, and then after the air carriers burn off their hedging contract fuel purchases, they  will be buying cheaper fuel, have higher profits, and their stock values typically increase.   That seems to have been the historical pattern, although now we are into new algorithms!

You will likely see the same correlation in ocean shipping.  Fuel is the biggest expense by far for large ships. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:35 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Jet-fuel is the big factor in air carrier operations.  I think you will find that, when oil prices drop, jet-fuel prices will drop, and then after the air carriers burn off their hedging contract fuel purchases, they  will be buying cheaper fuel, have higher profits, and their stock values typically increase.   That seems to have been the historical pattern, although now we are into new algorithms!

You will likely see the same correlation in ocean shipping.  Fuel is the biggest expense by far for large ships. 

Thank you. Didn't see your reply sorry. I just added another question regarding physical commodities trading companies top ten kind of list. If you have any suggestions I am all ears.