Hotone

Herd Immunity Vs Flatten the Curve

1 minute ago, El Nikko said:

Why do you think everyone will get it?

Colds and flus (the latter has vaccines so slightly different) mutate regularly and not everyone catches a cold (or flu) each year. For myself (my wife was a teacher and we had a young daughter so you would think it almost certain I'd catch a yearly cold at least) I get a cold every few years and I've only had flu once in my life and don't get vaccinated even though I'm supposed to.

I said "to some extent" many people will be sufficiently exposed to create an immunity without getting symptoms.

I don't get colds often and can't recall a flu (but get a shot most years), but I'm  certain my immune system gets exposed every year- I just fight it off.

1 minute ago, Enthalpic said:

I said "to some extent" many people will be sufficiently exposed to create an immunity without getting symptoms.

I don't get colds often and can't recall a flu (but get a shot most years), but I'm  certain my immune system gets exposed every year- I just fight it off.

I was actually looking for some data on how many people catch colds or flu each year but it's probably pointless, I'm sure many people probably do get exposed to it and create antibodies and don't show symptoms. It would be nice to know some figures and percentages of a given population but testing would be very costly and probably has never been done. The CV-19 testing program especially in the US might actually give some interesting data...the UK though has been utterly useless.

The UK weekly total death figures will be updated tomorrow (that will include early April data), I've got nothing else to do so quite looking forward to it 😂

10 minutes ago, El Nikko said:

I was actually looking for some data on how many people catch colds or flu each year but it's probably pointless, I'm sure many people probably do get exposed to it and create antibodies and don't show symptoms. It would be nice to know some figures and percentages of a given population but testing would be very costly and probably has never been done. The CV-19 testing program especially in the US might actually give some interesting data...the UK though has been utterly useless.

The UK weekly total death figures will be updated tomorrow (that will include early April data), I've got nothing else to do so quite looking forward to it 😂

I've also never had a cold sore, but certainly have been exposed.

Worst case if the immunity of the recovered wanes quickly; very little herd immunity.

Or if some people become generally asymptomatic long-term carriers (HPV, HSV, HEPc, HIV).

I'm of Danish ancestory - I problably carry a mutation that makes me more resistant (some northern Europeans lack HIV receptors)

2 hours ago, El Nikko said:

Why do you think everyone will get it?

Colds and flus (the latter has vaccines so slightly different) mutate regularly and not everyone catches a cold (or flu) each year. For myself (my wife was a teacher and we had a young daughter so you would think it almost certain I'd catch a yearly cold at least) I get a cold every few years and I've only had flu once in my life and don't get vaccinated even though I'm supposed to.

It sounds like the SARS-CoV-2 virus isn't mutating that much, certainly nowhere near like influenza. I have no clue about the virological reason, but might be good for vaccine development.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/the-coronavirus-isnt-mutating-quickly-suggesting-a-vaccine-would-offer-lasting-protection/2020/03/24/406522d6-6dfd-11ea-b148-e4ce3fbd85b5_story.html

• Upvote 1