(edited)

Jan, I take back every disparaging remark, vocal or in print, which I may have made about you in the past!😂👍🏻

That said, pepper jack cheese is still far superior to that edam stuff!

Edited by Douglas Buckland
Ggg
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, footeab@yahoo.com said:

🤸‍♀️🤾‍♂️🤺💪😎

Keyboard issues?

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Jan, I take back every disparaging remark, vocal or in print, which I may have made about you in the past!😂👍🏻

Douglas, that is very gracious of you.  

You really do have to hand it to these kids.  Here they are, at 22, sitting on some train on vacation, totally unarmed, and this crazed terrorist has already shot someone in the carriage behind them and he bursts into the car with this fully loaded Kalashnikov, a pistol, and a box cutter knife, ready to murder everyone.  the conductor fled in the other direction, and these young men just jump out of their seats, and run - straight at him!   Right smack into the barrel of that automatic rifle, and they get to him before he can shoot them dead.  Now, no matter how you slice it and dice it, that is bravery of epic proportions.  And hey, these were just ordinary Americans. They just - did it. 

I am honoured to be among these countrymen.  And very humbled. 

• Upvote 6

27 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I am going to close my eyes and just barely let you slide on that one!   Cheers. 

• Haha 5

25 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

I am going to close my eyes and just barely let you slide on that one!   Cheers. 

Extra sharp cheddar for me.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, ronwagn said:

Jan is going to place a curse on you!!!

• Haha 2

(edited)

5 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

In this time of national trauma and self-doubt, and noting the comments of @Ward Smith  in another thread of mine on fuel demand destruction, I would revisit history, and take you back to August 21, 2015, when three young Americans, two soldiers and their chum a college student, were sitting on the Amsterdam-Paris high-speed train and a Moroccan terrorist gunman burst into the compartment with a firing Kalashnikov.  The youngsters leaped out of their seats and down the aisle straight into the gunman, tackling him, taking the gun, and tying him up.  This enormous, astonishing act of raw courage in the face of certain death saved the lives of over 500 passengers on that train. 

Francois Hollande, President of France, awarded the Americans the Legion d'honneur, the highest medal of France, in grateful thanks for stopping the incipient massacre. 

In a special ceremony held in California, where the Americans lived, the Government of France issued French Citizenship by naturalization to the fast-thinking vacationers.  Here is the picture, done three years later, on January 31, 2019:

And this is why I, a foreigner, like living in America.  I am surrounded by perfectly ordinary guys who can and will do astonishingly heroic things, all instantaneously, without any thought of personal risk. There is something in the culture of Americans that brings the best out in its people.  It is a salient feature of Americans.  The planet is fortunate to have the Americans.  I remain humbled by these guys.  Good work, men!

image.png

Wonderful tribute, Jan.  I'd like to think we all will rise to any occasion, although these boys put a spotlight on the best of our best.  It wasn't about nationality, it wasn't about anything but helping their fellow human beings.  I am humbled and honored to be their fellow man.  Sometimes we Americans fail; more times we succeed.  But we never stop trying to do better, so we and those around us can be better.

Douglas, hand me those Kleenex, will ya? 😘

Edited by Dan Warnick
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:48 PM, Douglas Buckland said:

On 4/13/2020 at 10:42 PM, ronwagn said:

Gouda. 

On that note, the best cheese I've ever had was a smoked gouda infused with bacon.  *drools*

• Haha 1