Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DD

Volkswagen To Announce $340 Million Tennessee Investment To Build New SUV For U.S. Market

Volkswagen AG will announce that it plans to invest $340 million to build a new sport utility vehicle at its Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant in the United States as demand surges for larger vehicles. VW said in February that 54 percent of its total own-brand volume sales were SUVs. The German automaker is still working to improve its image in the United States after it admitted to cheating on diesel emissions tests in 2015, sparking the biggest business crisis in its history.

That is probably best way how you beat a tariff. Imagine that, manufacture your product in the country it is meant for... 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

Volkswagen AG will announce that it plans to invest $340 million to build a new sport utility vehicle at its Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant in the United States as demand surges for larger vehicles. VW said in February that 54 percent of its total own-brand volume sales were SUVs. The German automaker is still working to improve its image in the United States after it admitted to cheating on diesel emissions tests in 2015, sparking the biggest business crisis in its history.

Right.. by catering to the group of people in America who don't have emissions listed as one of their top ten concerns of the day--SUV owners. Clever!

39 minutes ago, franco said:

That is probably best way how you beat a tariff. Imagine that, manufacture your product in the country it is meant for... 

Hmm... That doesn’t change the tariff.  The steel used in these cars will still be subject to it, if imported.

30 minutes ago, Pavel said:

Hmm... That doesn’t change the tariff.  The steel used in these cars will still be subject to it, if imported.

I think the theory is that if they are manufacturing here, they will use steel from here. I think there will be an issue with some of the steel grades that are not made in the US. I think I saw somewhere that the oil and gas industry--pipelines specifically--were going to ask for waivers because the grade of steel that they are required to use for certain pipelines (or certain parts of pipelines?) was not made here in the US.