Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

The Facebook/Cambridge Analytica Scandal

(edited)

So, personal data of 50 million Facebook users stolen, admissions for deliberately targeting people with propaganda (not pro-Russian, either), Zuckerberg asked to testify before Congress, the works. One big and juicy data scandal. What do you think?

Edited by Marina Schwarz
  • Like 1

Something specific. Mark Zuckerberg's fortune dropped $4.9 billion on Monday after the Cambridge Analytica news broke. Fully deserved.

Image result for zuckerberg putin

Nobody is innocent in this scandal. Cambridge Analytica used Facebook in the way this social media is designed for, to gather data rom people to profile them, using those data to target people for advertising and allowing others, mostly advertisers to use the data for their own purposes. 

This is not the only scandal with Facebook. They were aware that Presidential campaign improperly seized data, not only by the Trump campaign, but also by Obama campaign. Facebook allowed this since 2012 and just looked the other way

FTC on Facebook probe: "We are aware of the issues that have been raised but cannot comment on whether we are investigating. We take any allegations of violations of our consent decrees very seriously as we did in 2012 in a privacy case involving Google"

Facebook in its current form and substance has become a stealth vehicle for disruption and deception for unsavory characters. Facebook needs dissolved for common good. ASAP

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, damirUSBiH said:

Facebook in its current form and substance has become a stealth vehicle for disruption and deception for unsavory characters. Facebook needs dissolved for common good. ASAP

I, for one, would be happy to see The Facebook die off. I hate The Facebook so much that I insist on calling it The Facebook out of spite.

• Like 1

It's time for FB and Zuckerberg to take responsibility. Too much misuse...

Judging by the mood in this thread I bring you good news: "Facebook Just Lost More Than Tesla's Entire Market Cap in Two Days"

I have to admit to a mild Facebook addiction but it's manageable and I would certainly appreciate a removal of the addictive substance. Also, they got too big too fast and are way too influential in opinion-formation, it's actually scary.

• Upvote 2

but things are about to get worse. Shareholders are now suing Facebook. Zuckerberg is MIA for a reason ... Investors definitely want to see him handling this better. 

Zuckerberg on Facebook: 
"We have a responsibility to protect your data, and if we can't then we don't deserve to serve you. I've been working to understand exactly what happened and how to make sure this doesn't happen again. The good news is that the most important actions to prevent this from happening again today we have already taken years ago. But we also made mistakes, there's more to do, and we need to step up and do it."

He needed 5 days to come up with this? 

Zuckerberg is on a thin ice right now with investors who are concerned about their systematic mismanagement. 

21 hours ago, Vlad Kovalenko said:

Did anyone see Zuckerberg lately? 

yeah, I caught a glimpse of the CNN interview. He looked reasonably healthy. For now.

Healthy and ready for some regulations. And he's right even he had to do it much earlier to avoid what just happened. There needs to be safeguards in place so that these companies don’t end up negatively affecting us in the long term and not just focus on the short term convenience of these companies services.

I think we should be very careful when a large company with monopoly or almost monopoly asks for regulation. Usually they use regulation as a barrier for other companies to not enter the market. 

"Looks lame anyway": Elon Musk just deleted Tesla’s Facbeook page — on a dare. Anti FB movement is spreading.

• Upvote 1

I got rid of mine.  I value my privacy more than I needed a constant meme stream.

• Like 1