Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JA

Africa's richest woman talking new jobs

In less than a month after being fired as head of Angola’s state-owned oil company, Isabel dos Santos, the daughter of former Angolan President Jose Eduardo dos Santos is eyeing new opportunities. Two major Angolan banks she has links to are preparing to sell shares as part of plans to strengthen their operations at home and abroad. 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-08/africa-s-richest-woman-prepares-new-deals-after-losing-oil-post

I thought she would be behind bars now

Dos Santos family is so wealthy that is their money is frozen by authorities, Angola would go bankrupt  

Jose Filomeno dos Santos, the president’s son, is also heavily involved in Angola’s economic life. He serves as chair of the country’s $5 billion sovereign wealth fund; he has been active in the banking sector since at least 2008; and he recently acquired 49% of Standard Bank Angola, which is part of South Africa’s Standard Bank Group.

Newly elected president João Manuel Gonçalves Lourenço did promise to crack down on corruption in order to repair Angola’s crisis-ridden economy. But I think it is unlikely for him to go after Dos Santos family.

Going after political comrades will not be easy for Lourenço. He has been part of the ruling party that has overseen corruption for decades, and he will know that such move would alienate important allies.

1 hour ago, Joanna said:

I thought she would be behind bars now

I wonder if Forbes is going to kick her off their 100 Most Powerful Women list. 

At any rate, Galp Energia (ELI:GALP), in which Dos Santos is invested,  is taking quite a tumble since her sacking. She might vehemently claim that all her investments are above board, but investors are nervous.

On 12/8/2017 at 2:31 PM, Rodent said:

I wonder if Forbes is going to kick her off their 100 Most Powerful Women list. 

At any rate, Galp Energia (ELI:GALP), in which Dos Santos is invested,  is taking quite a tumble since her sacking. She might vehemently claim that all her investments are above board, but investors are nervous.

well, Pablo Escobar was on Forbes list once