Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AB

Tesla Is Much More Than an EV Company

While everyone's obsessed with tracking Model 3 production and whether Tesla makes its goals, no one's paying attention to the fact that Tesla is much, much more than an EV company. It's a battery company that sells most of its batteries with wheels attached. 

Tesla Energy is becoming a recognized leader in commercial and residental renewable energy solution, since its launch in 2015. Tesla has gone all-in on producing not only the world’s cheapest batteries, but also the world’s most efficient ones. Also its batteries has designed serve to store renewable energy as it's generated and disperse it when needed.  

But beyond batteries, Tesla  is also a world leader in solar energy after it acquired SolarCity in 2016. Tesla’s “energy generation and storage” revenue was $1.1 billion in 2017, up a whopping 516% from the year prior.  The combination of bringing batteries and solar panels in-house opens up incredible synergies in Tesla’s business.

The future of an electric car in your driveway, solar panels on the roof, and battery storage in your garage is coming fast thanks to Tesla. Customers purchasing electric vehicles usually want batteries and solar panels too. It is estimated that Tesla already has some of the world’s highest retail sales per square foot, and that number is only going up as the company matures and expands its product lineup.

The world will need a lot more batteries and solar panels in the next years and I believe Tesla will have a major role in this transition off fossil fuels. 

• Like 1

One of the futuristic news says the next electric car to make it to market may have a one minute charge time. Just like cellphone batteries that charge in seconds right ? They have been talking about " amazing " cellphone batteries for prob at least 5 years and I always laugh. When Tesla appeared it was like a new king in town. Today, I'm not sure in that... Best example is MODEL 3. News from two days ago:
The "$35,000 Tesla Model 3" still doesn't exist - and it won't until at least the end of 2018.
Bloomberg estimates that Tesla is building Model 3s at a rate of just more than 800 per week, a far cry from the 2500-per-week goal set by Musk at the outset of Model 3 production. 
There is only one king: Nikola Tesla.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stormysaga said:

While everyone's obsessed with tracking Model 3 production and whether Tesla makes its goals, no one's paying attention to the fact that Tesla is much, much more than an EV company. 

You are absolutely right about Tesla. It is certainly more than just an EV company. Unfortunately, it's in human nature to see only negativities while leaving everything positive on side.  Now everybody is just talking about Model 3 delays and forgetting how much more Tesla does offer us, such as batteries, energy storage and solar.  Its energy worth more than $10 billion and it's still growing. 

• Upvote 1

The main reason this company exists is because the government gave him (subsidies) the money for it. Smoke and mirrors - over promise under deliver. Too much promises, not enough realization.

• Like 1

They haven't had one profitable quarter yet and competition is coming to their niche market in the form of BMW, Audi , Porsche, Mercedes and the domestics... rhetoric, promises have yet to be followed through on, Tesla's on thin ice IMO.

Maybe is better to say Tesla is not a car company. It's a battery company trying to become a car company but....

I think the best description about Tesla's business recently wrote someone who used comparison about Tesla and lemons. Therefore, “The market for lemons”, a paper by Nobel prize winning economist George Akerlof which describes how information asymmetry among buyers and sellers (meaning that the buyers know less about the goods they are about to buy than the sellers of those same goods) leads to a continuous decline in the quality of the goods available in the market. 

Elon Musk is the perfect hero for our era of reboots and reality TV. Much of the myths he has built around himself consists of worn-out sci-fi tropes, recycled and sold as reality. At least he's diversifying: next, he will "give us all telepathy", apparently, to save us from "bad AI".

3 hours ago, pinto said:

The "$35,000 Tesla Model 3" still doesn't exist - and it won't until at least the end of 2018.
Bloomberg estimates that Tesla is building Model 3s at a rate of just more than 800 per week, a far cry from the 2500-per-week goal set by Musk at the outset of Model 3 production. 
There is only one king: Nikola Tesla.

That's not surprising, what is surprising is that customers who made deposits and investors alike don't seem to care.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jpZelabal said:

That's not surprising, what is surprising is that customers who made deposits and investors alike don't seem to care.

It really is an interesting phenomenon, the loyalty, although I think people are largely too apathetic to be too loyal, so I really don't get it. I can't wrap my head around it.

Tesla lives on old glory and glory of his CEO. But fans are still loyal to this company while waiting in line for their cars. There will always be those willing to wait as much as it has just to be able to say "I got Tesla in my garage".  And like it or not, we can't deny that Tesla is a brand. 

Generally, one important thing when we talk about Tesla. They're not just an energy producer either.... to be cliché, they're a tech company. Their valuation is based on heavy future IP potential. Brand value, etc. Not just making cars, not just making solar, not just making batteries. That's where the valuation comes from. While they are "losing money" their overall business valuation is climbing much higher than the rate of loss. That's why they get more money. That's why they're not dead despite a "red" ledger. Also don't underestimate future growth of the energy products

The loyalty is because this is the future. Watch tech IPOs today, when you don't need hard assets anymore--just big ideas. And Musk is the king of big ideas. He misses production goals all the time, and he's the first to concede this. Tesla share price speaks volumes. It's not smoke and mirrors. It's just early days. Watch the battery gigafactories, and the powerwall. Energy storage is the most exciting thing here and it's going to be huge. 

2 hours ago, CMOP said:

Pass the WSJ log in details ;]

paywalls make my heart hurt.