Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BB

OTC Antacid Pepcid in NYC hospital clinical trial to treat coronavirus

(edited)

New York City hospitals have started a double blinded clinical trial using over-the-counter antacid Pepcid for therapy to treat Coronavirus

Active Ingredient is Famotidine.  It seems the Famotodine binds with the virus cell. 

187 enrolled. Plan on enrolling 1200.

Early data is encouraging.  

https://www.newsweek.com/famotidine-heartburn-medication-covid-19-new-york-1500341

Edited by BLA
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Neat.  I take that for heartburn now that ranitidine (Zantac) was recalled.

Thanks for the link

I bought 100 pills today.

" Anecdotal evidence has encouraged the Northwell researchers. After speaking to Tracey, David Tuveson, director of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cancer Center, recommended famotidine to his 44-year-old sister, an engineer with New York City hospitals. She had tested positive for COVID-19 and developed a fever. Her lips became dark blue from hypoxia. She took her first megadose of oral famotidine on 28 March. The next morning, her fever broke and her oxygen saturation returned to a normal range. Five sick co-workers, including three with confirmed COVID-19, also showed dramatic improvements after taking over-the-counter versions of the drug, according a spreadsheet of case histories Tuveson shared with Science. Many COVID-19 patients recover with simple symptom-relieving medications, but Tuveson credits the heartburn drug. “I would say that was a penicillin effect,” he says. "  

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/new-york-clinical-trial-quietly-tests-heartburn-remedy-against-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3pt8hWqMXrAltz9tG2NdASDb-C1eJbnkgirxs3qcr3m55hLDsN9Ty1A5U

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Neat.  I take that for heartburn now

I would switch to a different heart burn medicine and save those pills in case you or someone you know has breathing problems due to Covid-19,  those pills are better than gold right now, and they will be sold out in a day or two. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, Gregory Purcell said:

I would switch to a different heart burn medicine and save those pills in case you or someone you know has breathing problems due to Covid-19,  those pills are better than gold right now, and they will be sold out in a day or two. 

I have about 60 pills (20mg) on hand.

5 hours ago, Enthalpic said:

Neat.  I take that for heartburn now that ranitidine (Zantac) was recalled.

Thanks for the link

Be careful, Zantac is also connected to early onset dementia, No word on famotidine but similar chemistry may lead to similar results. I went off of it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Gregory Purcell said:

I bought 100 pills today.

" Anecdotal evidence has encouraged the Northwell researchers. After speaking to Tracey, David Tuveson, director of the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Cancer Center, recommended famotidine to his 44-year-old sister, an engineer with New York City hospitals. She had tested positive for COVID-19 and developed a fever. Her lips became dark blue from hypoxia. She took her first megadose of oral famotidine on 28 March. The next morning, her fever broke and her oxygen saturation returned to a normal range. Five sick co-workers, including three with confirmed COVID-19, also showed dramatic improvements after taking over-the-counter versions of the drug, according a spreadsheet of case histories Tuveson shared with Science. Many COVID-19 patients recover with simple symptom-relieving medications, but Tuveson credits the heartburn drug. “I would say that was a penicillin effect,” he says. "  

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/new-york-clinical-trial-quietly-tests-heartburn-remedy-against-coronavirus?fbclid=IwAR3pt8hWqMXrAltz9tG2NdASDb-C1eJbnkgirxs3qcr3m55hLDsN9Ty1A5U

Note again that the HCQ is being used without (at least not mentioned) Azithromycin, so is unlikely to be enough of a help.

Let's hope that famotidine works. Watch out for in vitro testing on the virus. 

NYC live virus test results are dropping, now below 17% positives. The lingerers are still ill and the virus hangs around longer than the 2-3 weeks after cessation of symptoms estimated from the experience in China. The new cases in NYC are, of course, old infections. Most of which occurred before 3.16 and most of the rest in the following two weeks or so to 3.30. Reading the test results as further spread is incorrect. It is not new infections but predominantly old infections that finally got tested. 

• Like 1

(edited)

1 hour ago, 0R0 said:

Note again that the HCQ is being used without (at least not mentioned) Azithromycin, so is unlikely to be enough of a help.

The authors noted they would have preferred to exclude HCQ but needed to include it because otherwise they wouldn't have had a large enough sample size.

If you are having trouble finding patients that are not on HCQ it means that HCQ is being tried on huge numbers of patients.

HCQ is unfortunately not what we hoped it would be; but it probably helps if so many physicians are prescribing it.

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1

(edited)

2 hours ago, 0R0 said:

Be careful, Zantac is also connected to early onset dementia, No word on famotidine but similar chemistry may lead to similar results. I went off of it. 

Prolonged use of any acid reducer isn't really great for you.  It can cause cardiovascular, kidney, and intestinal microbiome issues. H2 blockers appear to be safer than proton pump inhibitors. 

Of course, a bleeding ulcer isn't great for you either, nor is painful gastritis - find the balance.

A H pylori test is a great idea for anyone with recurrent heartburn.  A dear friend of mine was hospitalized for 3 days, and got transfused two units of blood, because of a bleeding ulcer.  They biopsied the ulcer with enodoscopy and found it was due to H pylori.  He is now cured.

I should probably get tested. You just drink some radioactive piss then breath into a bag.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea_breath_test

Edited by Enthalpic

Another friend suffers from severe indigestion and went through a full workup (barium swallow, endoscopy biopsies, blood work, EKG) and they just ended up telling him to take a PPI indefinitely.  Their only finding was "irritated and inflamed tissue."

17 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

Prolonged use of any acid reducer isn't really great for you.  It can cause cardiovascular, kidney, and intestinal microbiome issues. H2 blockers appear to be safer than proton pump inhibitors. 

Of course, a bleeding ulcer isn't great for you either, nor is painful gastritis - find the balance.

A H pylori test is a great idea for anyone with recurrent heartburn.  A dear friend of mine was hospitalized for 3 days, and got transfused two units of blood, because of a bleeding ulcer.  They biopsied the ulcer with enodoscopy and found it was due to H pylori.

I should probably get tested. You just drink some radioactive piss then breath into a bag.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea_breath_test

Lots of probiotics and pickles/kimchi/kraut did it for me. Ample substitute for the famotidine. 

If I had H Pylori,  I probably had it killed by one of the many courses of antibiotics I had gone through. Finally gave up on antibiotics in favor of colloidal silver and have controlled a chronic infection and repeated bronchitis and pneumonia 2+ per year are gone for 6 years now. Going keto helps as well. Sugar is microbe food, and we don't need any. Not starch not sugar. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

The authors noted they would have preferred to exclude HCQ but needed to include it because otherwise they wouldn't have had a large enough sample size.

If you are having trouble finding patients that are not on HCQ it means that HCQ is being tried on huge numbers of patients.

HCQ is unfortunately not what we hoped it would be; but it probably helps if so many physicians are prescribing it.

It was never all that on its own. It only protects your hemoglobin from the virus, reduces inflammation the virus uses for spreading (pH pockets in the inflamed zone), It has to be coupled with another drug to stop another stage in the virus life and reproduction cycle. Azythromycin or doxycyclin interfere with the RNA duplication of virus infected cells just as they do with RNA formation of  bacteria.  Zinc is a helpful supplement as HCQ supposedly inserts it into the cell, where it interferes with the virus. The most frustrating thing is that the published results are virus count reductions to undetectable within 5 - 10 days for the complete protocol. Yet people are treated with it as if it has a chance to save them at days or hours before death. Then some fool thinks it is the medication that is a problem rather than the expectations and method of use.

• Upvote 2

(edited)

16 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

Lots of probiotics and pickles/kimchi/kraut did it for me. Ample substitute for the famotidine. 

If I had H Pylori,  I probably had it killed by one of the many courses of antibiotics I had gone through. Finally gave up on antibiotics in favor of colloidal silver and have controlled a chronic infection and repeated bronchitis and pneumonia 2+ per year are gone for 6 years now. Going keto helps as well. Sugar is microbe food, and we don't need any. Not starch not sugar. 

I haven't taken an oral antibiotic for at least 15 years.

I avoid sugar; I don't want the type 2 diabetes, obesity, or needless tooth decay.  I love some good kimchi or kraut.

I take Zinc Gluconate for it's antimicrobial, antioxidant, and testosterone boosting properties. 

My body is probably still full of silver from all the silver nitrate I used at the lab. Haha.  You get little black spots on your skin...

Edited by Enthalpic
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

I haven't taken an oral antibiotic for at least 15 years.

I avoid sugar; I don't want the type 2 diabetes, obesity, or needless tooth decay.  I love some good kimchi or kraut.

I take Zinc Gluconate for it's antimicrobial, antioxidant, and testosterone boosting properties. 

My body is probably still full of silver from all the silver nitrate I used at the lab. Haha.  You get little black spot on your skin...

Colloidal, it is nanoparticle metal. I use mostly 40nm and 1nm for the spray and interim boost between doses if needed. The larger size particles are usually made from the nitrate

• Upvote 1

(edited)

4 minutes ago, 0R0 said:

Colloidal, it is nanoparticle metal. I use mostly 40nm and 1nm for the spray and interim boost between doses if needed. The larger size particles are usually made from the nitrate

Cool.  I attended a presentation at a chemistry conference that was focused on nanoscale preparation. 

The larger size particles are usually made by not wearing gloves when handling fairly strong solutions of AgNO3....

Edited by Enthalpic

I'm pretty sure I had COVID without any testing or treatment.

Dry cough and three nights with night sweats / fever.

22 minutes ago, Enthalpic said:

I'm pretty sure I had COVID without any testing or treatment.

Dry cough and three nights with night sweats / fever.

If you are at uni that is a good chance