Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AB

Waymo Says Its Driverless Technology is Safe

Self-driving car spinoff Waymo says the technology behind its new autonomous vehicles is safe. Waymo's CEO says they will buy up to 20,000 electric vehicles from Jaguar Land Rover to help realize their vision for a robotic ride-hailing service. Somehow I don't believe them about safety issue. 

• Like 2

And somehow I have lost my faith in this technology after the Uber case. Not that I was for it before that terrible incident, but now I'm definitely against it. I just don't like being run over. 

• Like 1

Sure it is, sure. I just read Nvidia has announced a suspension of all self-driving tests globally. Now that's smart. Waymo's assurance is silly. Wait at least a week before making grand statements.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

Sure it is, sure. I just read Nvidia has announced a suspension of all self-driving tests globally. Now that's smart. Waymo's assurance is silly. Wait at least a week before making grand statements.

Agreed a little too soon. To make such an announcement is ridiculous. It's too early to tell for all companies for all AI. It's inevitable that there will be Human Deaths by cars - AI or not. 

• Upvote 2

There is almost always a learning curve with any new tech. The problem with this new tech is that the "lessons learned" could be quite catastrophic to life and limb. And you're right, @Marina Schwarz, it's callous to make grand safety statements now. Someone just lost their life. If nothing else, out of respect for the family who lost someone, it would be wise to take a beat. This statement reeks of desperation.

• Upvote 1

On 3/27/2018 at 2:58 PM, Stormysaga said:

Self-driving car spinoff Waymo says the technology behind its new autonomous vehicles is safe. Waymo's CEO says they will buy up to 20,000 electric vehicles from Jaguar Land Rover to help realize their vision for a robotic ride-hailing service. Somehow I don't believe them about safety issue. 

Seems like a bad PR move to me. What initially sounds like reassurance on the surface, seems more like refusal to accept the current limitations. Why not acknowledge that there might be problems and reassure the public that you are working on it?  Why deny problems exist? That's like Mountain Dew suggesting that their product, in moderation, is part of a healthy balanced diet. Just best to fess up. Never wise to try to hoodwink the public.