PP

President vs. Amazon: Amazon Loses $53B In Market Value After Trump Announcement

18 hours ago, Stephen said:

The Post Office has already came out and said they make money on Amazon's deal the last time he raved about this.

Sure. To be clear, I'm not taking a side one way or another. I'm simply observing what is happening and saying that this happens all the time. Founder/CEO's become immensely wealthy and powerful and they begin to believe their own fawning press: that they are brilliant beyond compare and, more importantly, that they are untouchable in the business realm. That has a tendency to lead to the belief that they are beyond reproach and begin to test the limits of business ethics, if not legality, while attempting to garner favor in The Imperial City. This game drastically increases idiosyncratic political risk to the company. 

• Upvote 2

yeah, two sides to everything--as always. It's hard to argue that Amazon hasn't gotten too big, really. Not happy about the drag on the tech sector and all the money I just lost on tech stocks, though :) Surely, no one's considering my stock picks when they formulate foreign policy or anti-trust regulations though. That said, this administration does have a tendency to act without follow things all the way through to their logical conclusion, so I worry about the methods (re trade war and moves against China). But with regard to Amazon ... if we're not careful, they'll be dictating foreign policy soon all on their own. 

14 minutes ago, Seleskya said:

yeah, two sides to everything--as always. It's hard to argue that Amazon hasn't gotten too big, really. Not happy about the drag on the tech sector and all the money I just lost on tech stocks, though :) Surely, no one's considering my stock picks when they formulate foreign policy or anti-trust regulations though. That said, this administration does have a tendency to act without follow things all the way through to their logical conclusion, so I worry about the methods (re trade war and moves against China). But with regard to Amazon ... if we're not careful, they'll be dictating foreign policy soon all on their own. 

You're not wrong. But let's face it, the average US voter hasn't dictated US foreign policy in at least 2 decades. The argument could even be made that the US public hasn't dictated foreign policy since Congress voluntarily neutered itself of its sole ability to declare war in 1950.

• Upvote 1

As much as it goes against the grain for me to say this, Amazon, Google, FaceBook, Apple... have all become too powerful and need their feathers clipped.
Monopolies are not a good thing.

• Like 1

Well, I, for one, can't. I've tried and failed. Also, Amazon is not quite retail as we older folk know it, so I really don't know what skills Amazon employees need to have. They are not all necessarily shop assistants if at all, after all. There could be an aspect of whining about it, of course, but my point was that competition is good all around. Growing as big as Amazon is and pushing out most of its competition is not good all around, except for the Amazon management, I suppose.

On 3/30/2018 at 12:36 AM, pinto said:

I know only one place for "Justice time": court. Fake news = lawsuit for libel. This is something else....

Courts will pin the blame on journalists, not on the owner. Bezos would have paid heavily to the journalists to compensate for any inconvenience. He has too much money

32 minutes ago, kshithij Sharma said:

..... He has too much money

I would always prefer the freedom of speech. If Bezos is rich it doesn't mean that he stole something from someone... Or because he's rich,  he must "fall down'

14 hours ago, pinto said:

I would always prefer the freedom of speech. If Bezos is rich it doesn't mean that he stole something from someone... Or because he's rich,  he must "fall down'

Actually, the capitalism works by stealing natural resources, gaining undue favour from government by befriending senators etc. The concept that the rich people did not steal is wrong. The biggest theft that one can do is theft of natural resources and government money. Natural resources are precious and can't be valued at any price. These resources are non renewable and no matter how much money is spent, once depleted the resources can't be brought back.

• Like 1

New stage Trump vs. Amazon-  U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he would take a serious look at policies to address what he says are the unfair business advantages of online retailer Amazon.com Inc... Before this statement, in his tweet Trump called the Washington Post the “chief lobbyist” for Amazon...I don't know what is target WP or Amazon? Or both..

If I were an Amazon shareholder, I would ask the question; How does buying the Washington Post add any value to my investment? Or a FB or any other of the so-called new media companies stockholder; How does putting your thumb on the political scales one way or the other(though we know which way almost all of these biases go) help my investment?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1