Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PZ

France Will Close All Coal Fired Power Stations By 2021

France has ambitious climate change agenda. It's a vision of E. Macron, French political leader. The 2021 goal sets a more aggressive target than the timeline advanced by Mr Macron’s predecessor, Francois Hollande, who sought to shut down the country’s coal-powered plants by 2023. This goal can be easily accomplished because France only produces around 1 per cent of its energy from coal-fired stations, but the commitment is a signal that the country is determined to lead on climate issues. After the corrupt N. Sarkozy, E. Macron is a better and more beautiful face of this big nation. 

France has generated the vast majority of its electricity from nuclear power for decades. This is not a big deal for them.

France has the advantage of massive investment in nuclear power. They have 58 nuclear reactors those provides most of their power. Not everyone is active. (country has taken about half its reactors offline for safety checks and repairs) Under normal conditions France is a net exporter of electricity.

They do have the advantage of nuclear power though, and the ability to buy power from neighbours. But, they are using -12,000MW of power from coal and has a plan to replace this in less than 3 years. Not so optimistic.

France also has a lot of hydro. Between nukes and hydro, its nearly 90% of French electricity. Now need to look at nuclear reductions too.

The heat-wave situation that seems to grip Europe and Japan on an irregular cycle will keep those coal plants around, simply for reserve power.  Remember that back in about 2004 some 15,000 people died in France during the heat wave. France is peculiar in that, in August, the entire  country shuts down and everybody goes on vacation to the South.  The old people are left alone in apartments in the cities, such as Paris, where air conditioning is rare. You get a heat wave and the inside temps of those stone buildings climbs up to over 95 F and just sits there, and the old people develop heat-stroke and die.  Nobody is checking on them because everybody is out of the Cities on vacation. 

To deal with that, there will be investments in air conditioning, and thus reserve coal power plants to ensure the juice is available.  

On 7/31/2018 at 4:32 PM, Jan van Eck said:

The heat-wave situation that seems to grip Europe and Japan on an irregular cycle will keep those coal plants around, simply for reserve power.  Remember that back in about 2004 some 15,000 people died in France during the heat wave. France is peculiar in that, in August, the entire  country shuts down and everybody goes on vacation to the South.  The old people are left alone in apartments in the cities, such as Paris, where air conditioning is rare. You get a heat wave and the inside temps of those stone buildings climbs up to over 95 F and just sits there, and the old people develop heat-stroke and die.  Nobody is checking on them because everybody is out of the Cities on vacation. 

To deal with that, there will be investments in air conditioning, and thus reserve coal power plants to ensure the juice is available.  

I thought that was 2003? Anyway, are you sure it was attributed to a lack of air conditioning or inadequate energy infrastructure? I seem to recall headlines attributed deaths to global warming. I guess it's all how you spin it.

2 hours ago, Rodent said:

I thought that was 2003? Anyway, are you sure it was attributed to a lack of air conditioning or inadequate energy infrastructure? I seem to recall headlines attributed deaths to global warming. I guess it's all how you spin it.

OK, I'm happy to roll with 2003.  Hey, I'm an old guy, I forget the details.  As to "global warming" ideas:  reporters, what do those guys know? You can't take them too seriously. 

2 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

As to "global warming" ideas:  reporters, what do those guys know? You can't take them too seriously. 

hey!! 😮

• Like 1

(edited)

Due to the current heat wave in Framce some nuclear plants will be halted. The temperature of the water in the Rhone river used for cooling is expected to rise above the authorised limit forcing to halt the plants for environmental safety.

https://www.montelnews.com/en/story/edf-cuts-nuclear-output-by-24-gw-with-40c-heat-expected/922779

Edited by Guillaume Albasini
Link added

On 8/1/2018 at 6:32 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Remember that back in about 2004 some 15,000 people died in France during the heat wave

2003. Can't find wine from this year anymore...