James Regan

USA TO PULL OUT OF MIDDLE EAST?

Recommended Posts

(edited)

Why doesn't the USA just pull all of its troops out of the middle east?

Edited by Tom Kirkman
Moderator edit to thread title - removed "BREAKING NEWS" and added question mark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

James, pretty sure this thread isn't "breaking news" but instead just wishful thinking.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tom Kirkman said:

James, pretty sure this thread isn't "breaking news" but instead just wishful thinking.

Im curious to here what the forum thinks will happen, and why the USA is so heavily invested militarily in the ME, I am only responding to the consensus of this forum that most feel the US should pull out, so why don't they. To be honest it makes sense to me, but I'm sure there is more to it than some idiot in Brasil and what he thinks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, James Regan said:

Im curious to here what the forum thinks will happen, and why the USA is so heavily invested militarily in the ME, I am only responding to the consensus of this forum that most feel the US should pull out, so why don't they. To be honest it makes sense to me, but I'm sure there is more to it than some idiot in Brasil and what he thinks.

I'm going to edit the thread title then, and remove the "BREAKING NEWS" bit and add a question mark at the end.

Unless you can show that this actually *is* breaking news, and is actually *not* just wishful thinking.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

4 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

I'm going to edit the thread title then, and remove the "BREAKING NEWS" bit and add a question mark at the end.

Unless you can show that this actually *is* breaking news, and is actually *not* just wishful thinking.

Headline like that grabs attention, as far as wishful thinking if it's the opinion of the masses that it would be a wish for-filled and would most certainly get Trump another term, why has he not done it?

***Can Brits plead the 1st?*******

Edited by James Regan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Headline like that grabs attention, as far as wishful thinking if it's the opinion of the masses that it would be a wish for-filled and would most certainly get Trump another term, why has he not done it?

***Can Brits plead the 1st?*******

While it is certainly amusing, I don't think it's a good idea to have the thread title start with "BREAKING NEWS".  You already have the title in CAPS LOCK.

Also, is it normal for Brits to plead the 1st?  Don't the "stiff upper lip" Brit laws take precedence?

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, James Regan said:

Im curious to here what the forum thinks will happen, and why the USA is so heavily invested militarily in the ME, I am only responding to the consensus of this forum that most feel the US should pull out, so why don't they. To be honest it makes sense to me, but I'm sure there is more to it than some idiot in Brasil and what he thinks.

Follow the money. The military industrial complex is making a fortune off of US military in ME. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Follow the money. The military industrial complex is making a fortune off of US military in ME. 

While it is part of the equation ....the US has spent over 6 trillion on the ME. Funded world growth funded world organized terrorism....oh and that green thing might as well be added into the mix. For the US it is net loser beyond comprehension.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

While it is part of the equation ....the US has spent over 6 trillion on the ME. Funded world growth funded world organized terrorism....oh and that green thing might as well be added into the mix. For the US it is net loser beyond comprehension.

What money has the US spent on the ME that wasn't military or for oil production?

What does funding world growth have to do with the ME? Are you sure we haven't made money off of investing in world growth?

Funding world terrorism is supported by the military industrial complex. Have to have an enemy if you are going to sell arms. 

  • Great Response! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

3 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

While it is certainly amusing, I don't think it's a good idea to have the thread title start with "BREAKING NEWS".  You already have the title in CAPS LOCK.

Also, is it normal for Brits to plead the 1st?  Don't the "stiff upper lip" Brit laws take precedence?

 

It wasn't Centred give me some slack and it wasn't in Green....

Edited by James Regan
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, James Regan said:

Why doesn't the USA just pull all of its troops out of the middle east?

Probably about the same time the UK abandons Oman...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

28 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

Probably about the same time the UK abandons Oman...

Douglas you won't provoke me into getting on the bandwagon, I have no idea what we are doing in Oman, but as far as I am concerned they have no reason to be there. No-one can give an answer as they have zero clue why the USA is so interested in the ME, especially now as they have the strongest oil industry in the world, apparently.

We abandoned Europe far more complicated than any US withdrawal from the ME, Oman should be an easier one.

Me thinks there iz other reasons....

Edited by James Regan
You guys stick with Liberia, its a Trophy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jay McKinsey said:

Follow the money. The military industrial complex is making a fortune off of US military in ME. 

This. The status quo is very profitable for various aspects of the private sector (and parts of the public sector):

 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, James Regan said:

Douglas you won't provoke me into getting on the bandwagon, I have no idea what we are doing in Oman, but as far as I am concerned they have no reason to be there. No-one can give an answer as they have zero clue why the USA is so interested in the ME, especially now as they have the strongest oil industry in the world, apparently.

We abandoned Europe far more complicated than any US withdrawal from the ME, Oman should be an easier one.

Me thinks there iz other reasons....

Jimmy, if all the Western powers were to abandon the Middle East, who do you think would waltz in....Ecuador? 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, James Regan said:

Why doesn't the USA just pull all of its troops out of the middle east?

Because we haven't finished improving the quality of life for the citizens of Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya and Yemen??  I know this is a smart-ass answer but one of Bin Laden's goals was to bleed the US into bankruptcy.  He may be dead, but that goal is very much alive.  His $500,000 investment in 911 has theoretically returned him over $6 trillion.  He knew us better than we did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For all the talk of oil independence, green movement taking oil's place, butcher of the KSA, you name it, the world is still very seriously oil dependent and no replacement can stand up and do so at present.  Better for everyone to take a handful of those "chill pills" and figure out how to play nice, or at least not blow each other sky high during the coarse of normal business.  Although, that has been the answer to low oil prices countless times in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because ME still is the most important region to provide affordable fuel. Oil and Gas will dominate the World as a source of energy for many years to come. British Empire concentrated on ME since pre-WW1 era, than pass the baton to US. A Holy place is never empty...If US pull out, China will take it's role.  

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

The bottom line is because the US can't afford to have anyone else control the cheapest oil on the planet. Gives Russia a monopoly position and secure's China's supply at a discount. Big advantage to them, and would spell the end of the West if the CCP manages to get the economy to grow for real again. I.e. takes its hands off the economy once more and lets it develop without Emperor Xi's "long game strategerie". 

Perhaps the EU UK and Japan and India will one day be ready to take it over and carry the bulk of the burden. But that is not today.

Edited by 0R0
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, surrept33 said:

This. The status quo is very profitable for various aspects of the private sector (and parts of the public sector):

.and the politicians - various mega-rich Jews contributed large sums to Trump's campaign

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2020 at 12:56 AM, dukeNukem said:

Because ME still is the most important region to provide affordable fuel. Oil and Gas will dominate the World as a source of energy for many years to come. British Empire concentrated on ME since pre-WW1 era, than pass the baton to US. A Holy place is never empty...If US pull out, China will take it's role.  

Another reason is because Saudi demands payment for all their oil purchases in US dollars which helps underpin the strength of the dollar.

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2020 at 6:21 PM, Jay McKinsey said:

Follow the money. The military industrial complex is making a fortune off of US military in ME. 

 

On 5/1/2020 at 12:56 AM, dukeNukem said:

Because ME still is the most important region to provide affordable fuel. Oil and Gas will dominate the World as a source of energy for many years to come. British Empire concentrated on ME since pre-WW1 era, than pass the baton to US. A Holy place is never empty...If US pull out, China will take it's role.  

 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:16 PM, James Regan said:

Why doesn't the USA just pull all of its troops out of the middle east?

To all of the above: yes. 

However, I'd argue that will come to an end in due time.  The world is reaching a point where it doesn't strictly need Middle Eastern oil.  It's unlikely the region will maintain its wealth in the face of lower prices, dwindling market size, and dwindling market share - and that means there won't be anything for the military-industrial-congressional complex to profit from.  Likewise, there won't be any political incentive to keeping the region stable. 

Unfortunately, reaching that end state takes time.  The US is withdrawing its troops from the region - at a glacial pace.  In 10-20 years, we'll realize the US presence there has become negligible and wonder when it happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)

On 5/1/2020 at 12:16 AM, James Regan said:

Why doesn't the USA just pull all of its troops out of the middle east?

Simple:

crude oil and natural gas are the most important commodities by high margin,

gulf states sell oil in US dollar, and that is petrodollar, the basis of much of the reserve status of US currency, Americans you can keep 1 trillion deficits (this year it would be 4+ trillion plus) and current account deficits, you can print money, at present you printed 7 trillion dollars, yet dollar is not debased.

US has 60-70 thousand troops in Middle East plus 10-20% of Naval and Air Force assets. It costs about 50 billion dollars.

The benefit of US dollar reserve currency status: 0.0% base rate with 22trillion debt. Instead of 2.5% if no reserve currency status. So profit is 22*2.5% = 550 billion dollars minus cost of Middle East 50 billion = 500 billion net gain.

The gain in cashflow is much higher it is over 1 trillion dollars a year, cause people need hydrocarbons and need to buy it in dollars, so have to keep dollars in their coffers.

There are future adverse effects, Us economy is collateral damage, cause if money has no cost, bad businesses survive, rich people become richer, poor become more poor, in short Gini index rises etc.

But it is future, not now.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.