Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ES

China's Tariffs Into Effect on Oil Pipe

China's tariffs into effect today. World didn't stop turning as far as I can tell. Per Houston Chronicle,

"Last year the United States exported 832,000 metric tons of steel pipe, according to the U.S. International Trade Administration. More than 80 percent of that pipe went to Canada and Mexico, with China coming in a distant third."

Does anyone have any reason that we should expect more significant fallout than this? And does anyone know why I can't ever remember that it's spelled "tariff" and not "tarrif"?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Looks like this is just a bit of a slap to take to the negotiating table. Significant that they didn't target soybeans, which would have been one of the big ones. This is a $3-billion tariff package compared to Trump's $50 billion (in the works) proposition. So China's will bite, but not draw blood. Some farmers and a key Trump voting state (Iowa, I think) will not fare well. It's not just about steel ...