Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AN

Cyber Attack on Major US Pipeline Network

They say everything's under control but the sheer fact that a cyber attack managed to breach the communications of a major US pipeline network is highly disturbing. I mean, they knocked the electronic data interchange out of operation. It's being downplayed, but this is huge .. it's energy transfer partners network.

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 12.10.24 AM.png

• Upvote 3

Not just ETP ... what was attacked was a third party data system used by a bunch of pipeline giants, including Kinder Morgan.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

This is America's critical weakness, and it's not being taken seriously enough. It's that Western habit of taking everything for granted. But it's dangerous. Watch Russia, or North Korea, dig in on this because our societies are so dependent on ICT systems that are not secured against incidents ... 

• Like 1

they probably had to run to Staples... no, but really .. i get the ransom attack and perhaps that suggests something a bit different, but the pipeline attack had no ransom as far as I've read. So what's the point? They took them offline for a bit it seems. Is this just a fishing expedition? A trial run to see how far they get each time; a test phase? And what's the scenario here? What happens when this network gets shut down for any length of time?

• Upvote 1

Everyone who knows anything about cybersecurity has been going on and on and on that attacks are only going to get more frequent and more serious. Most businesses have been playing deaf for some reason I cannot fathom. "it won't happen to me" sounds ridiculous but it seems like that's what a lot of companies have been thinking. There are heaps of surveys being done, revealing how inadequate most cyberdefenses are globally and yet things are too slow to change.

Not sure the end game here, either. But hackers don't always have a motive that makes sense to you and me.

Not to completely derail the thread, but while we're on the subject of cybersecurity, does anyone know of worse commercials other than PC Matic? Who makes these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRPknU5Y82A