James Regan

Ban Chinese characters from OP forum

Why dont OP @CMOP just write the code to ban all Chinese alphabets from the community, its ruining the forum, once I see it I just log out, its beyond annoying, its becoming literally viral out of control.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, James Regan said:

Why dont OP @CMOP just write the code to ban all Chinese alphabets from the community, its ruining the forum, once I see it I just log out, its beyond annoying, its becoming literally viral out of control.

Yes, it would be nice if Chinese characters would be banned.  The purposes of these ongoing spam attacks is to drive away members out of frustration. 

While I am not Oil Price staff (just a forum member and volunteer moderator) it would be wise for the Oil Price IT guys to institute a ban of Chinese Characters, and also do some common sense changes such as limiting new members to creating 1 new thread per day, until the new member receives at least 1 upvote from other members.

Many hundreds of spam wall of text threads this morning, close to 500 Mandarin spam threads, by 6 new members, none of them received any upvotes from other members.  Clogging up the forum and choking forum bandwidth.

So lately when I do my daily login and daily banning of the daily spammers, I add a person touch by adding in 4 of my own personal memes in the "Note for member" section in their ban notification.  

note.png.c5aabd2a78a9d264056692272b802e64.png

Here's my 4 memes that I add in to the "Note for member" section when banning spammers.  I'm bored with my old memes, and am open for suggestions for making new memes.  I prefer mocking Predident Xi with Winnie the Pooh images, because comparing Xi to Pooh is illegal in China.  Anyone have suggestions for new memes to annoy Xi?

edict.jpeg.3f1bb0d9c204bcb470d21cf29e38f727.jpeg

springtime.jpg.ec03ce24a996cc001b45f81bac855b1b.jpg

953547196_xiblamesus.jpg.dd538dab2b389eedeceeffa52fc03c18.jpg

1906540166_Xicatchesflu.jpg.a13a7499fbf920f6920164a5077ed584.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Well, Xi is pronounced She.  Have some fun with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

such as limiting new members to creating 1 new thread per day, until the new member receives at least 1 upvote from other members. ??? So you get one new member upvote another new member and they are open to bury the site. Trying to block spammers is a whack a mole. Ban Chinese?  and the spammer posts in German. Have new members first posts hidden until the forum moderator approves of their 1st post

• Upvote 1

(edited)

On 5/6/2020 at 5:57 AM, notsonice said:

such as limiting new members to creating 1 new thread per day, until the new member receives at least 1 upvote from other members. ??? So you get one new member upvote another new member and they are open to bury the site. Trying to block spammers is a whack a mole. Ban Chinese?  and the spammer posts in German. Have new members first posts hidden until the forum moderator approves of their 1st post

!sr 2nd and 3rd they may get as bored as we do?? - Also pay attention to Proxies this could be another check, many legitimate reasons for using a proxy but lots of badAreasons, I'm sure something could be done to make guys like Toms thankless task easier (he not paid either). But the fact is after midnight in Brasil its not worth logging on, if I had to wake up to that I would have dumped the forum a long time ago, these spam messages leave a trend be it time, proxy servers, type setting, amount of characters in title (that one should be easy) its the main thing they use. The whole page full of wingdings just makes you want to take drugs and go back to bed, uuuumm not a bad idea..... This is a monetarized platform and volume is critical but so is quality, doesn't look good guys.

Or give certain trusted users the power to put a new spam suspected topic in a holding pattern until moderators can decide, this way you will have 24 hour cover, picking trusted members from world wide time zones. We are a community and we can do a neighbourhood watch, I'm sure of it.

Edited by James Regan
  • Upvote 1

Something seems to have happened after CMOP checked on this thread.  Selva banned only 1 spammer last night, and I haven't seen a single spammer today.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ah, this explains the sudden lack of spammers today ...

Screenshot_20200507-200710_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.49e8a935397e667a88d9d680aa836085.jpg

Chinese Government Lays Off Entire Propaganda Team As American Media Doing Their Job For Them

BEIJING—The Chinese government has laid off its entire propaganda arm, cutting thousands of jobs at China Central Television and other state-run media outlets as the American media is already doing their job for them.

"It seemed kinda redundant for us to have a state-run media when we have the American press," said President Xi at a press conference Monday. "The American media is carrying water for us. It's pretty incredible. We unleashed a virus on the world and lied about it for months, and the American press can't stop praising us. As long as they make their orange leader look bad, they'll repeat any line we feed them."

"Really, we Commies could learn a lot from the propaganda of the press over in America," he added admiringly.

The Communist dictator sat the nervous, state-owned journalists down and asked them, "What would you say you do there?" to which they responded, "We take the propaganda and tell it to the people." But President Xi wasn't fooled, saying that the American press already does that and the redundancy would be eliminated. 

Luckily for the state-owned journalists and broadcasters who lost their jobs in China today, CNN was hiring.

• Haha 2