5 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

Chongqing is a 20 minute flight from Chengdu, where I lived.  The airline in Chongqing was/is a branch of what used to be called China Southwest Airlines, and as such I had to go there about every 2 weeks in my support role.  Lots of trips.  The good thing for me was that they got a Holiday Inn before Chengdu did, so I could have the chef fix me a nice western dinner every time I went.

Chongqing from the air on a clear day is beautiful.  The problem is it seemed like there were very few clear days all year long.  If my memory serves correctly, the airport is on top of 2 mountaintops, or hilltops depending on your definition, that were leveled out together to make room for the runway.  Very interesting and sometimes white knuckle landings!

Once inside the city it is tough going if you don't have motorized transport because the street grades are so steep that walking becomes exhausting.  Having said that, it is a city with great old world charm.  Take that with a grain of salt, because the rate of change and modernization in China is phenomenal and everything could be different now.  I have seen a recent video by a couple of American(?) ladies going around the city with their children and it looked like fun.  They walked up and down old streets and alleyways but travelled from place to place by car.

Hope that is useful information for you.

I was right: they have changed everything.  Now there are apparently 3 airports in/around Chongqing.  This is the main one now and it doesn't look anything like the old one I used to fly in/out of:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/chongqing/airport.htm

Here is the Google Maps view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chongqing+Jiangbei+International+Airport/@29.7191667,106.6416667,3473m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa264bdfc4843caa7!8m2!3d29.7191667!4d106.6416667

On 5/12/2020 at 9:00 AM, Marcin2 said:

Should add comparison with US:

US has land borders with Mexico and Canada

within 1000 miles of US borders : Mexico and Canada

within 2000 miles of US borders additionally: Central America 40 million people 200 billion GDP, Columbia and Venezuela: 80 million people.

Not much space for any complex supply chains development.

Within 3000 miles but you need long Sea voyage there is additionally Amazonia and Peru.

US simply cannot be center of global manufacturing and supply chains. Everybody would manufacture in China ( communist or not) just because of geography. 

Or India or any other Asian country or Africa. China primarily ships by container ship anyway. 

(edited)

-

Edited by Marcin2
-

With American help, I would include Canada, Mexico, and many areas in Latin and South America. But first we would do whatever we can within our own country. The more critical goods should be made in North America. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ronwagn said:

With American help, I would include Canada, Mexico, and many areas in Latin and South America. But first we would do whatever we can within our own country. The more critical goods should be made in North America. 

Seems rather silly that we would have to say that, doesn't it?  What were they thinking.  Seriously!

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

Must have been a side meeting at Davos.  If China is in fact in the process of withdrawing into itself, many of the issues with the WTO of the last 10 years could be resolved to everyone else's satisfaction without too much drama.  It would seem a good time for a new leader with a mission of a fresh start.  The WTO will never be easy, that is the reason it exists, but if they are transparent and balanced in their findings, most players simply want to get on with trade on a relatively level playing field.

Now if they can swiftly get the head of the WHO to "retire" and find a person with a focus on World Health and nothing else to take over, the world may be better for it.  Whether the WHO dropped the ball or not, their credibility seems to be shot and they cannot regain it with current leadership.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 9:03 PM, Dan Warnick said:

I was right: they have changed everything.  Now there are apparently 3 airports in/around Chongqing.  This is the main one now and it doesn't look anything like the old one I used to fly in/out of:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/chongqing/airport.htm

Here is the Google Maps view:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Chongqing+Jiangbei+International+Airport/@29.7191667,106.6416667,3473m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xa264bdfc4843caa7!8m2!3d29.7191667!4d106.6416667

Yes, I suppose if left China in 1999, the city world be quite different now.  It seems an interesting place, and I just watched this interview with a guy who found the American dream on Chongqing, and he isn't on an expat package.  His channel had a lot of interesting videos about that city.

I would like to visit Chongqing, but I am afraid of the air pollution, so I may give it a miss.