Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ML

Yieldcos: After Greedy Bust, Are They Back for Real?

I see a ton of recent deal-making for Yieldcos lately. I know that bubble basically burst in 2015, but I'm reading a lot lately from some non-aligned talking heads that seem to think the yieldco model for renewable energy projects makes sense and that now we're seeing a phase II where they're getting smarter (and less greedy). Love to hear everyone's take on the top tier of these yieldcos and whether they're worth the investment (for value investors who want to see dividends from renewable projects). 

• Like 1

I don't know ... that's a tough one. NRG seems to be fairly promising and is widely considered a success story, but I see why people could potentially view these as Ponzi schemes. Ultimately, I think the model makes sense, but anyone who got caught up in the first round with a couple of the 'big' ones probably lost their shirt. Now bigger players have bought them up and I think I agree that were' looking at a better round II of the yieldco trend. 

• Like 1

NRG Energy looking pretty good (3 months): 

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 12.32.27 AM.png