Tom Kirkman

DEFIANCE – There are More of Us Than Them

Sad that it has come to this.  But as an Australia Now news program pointed out: It's not just us.

Remember that, all ye who say this virus is not being exploited for political purposes.  It is not just us.

People around the world are protesting, or, as in my host country, just quietly going back to work and avoiding the little hotpoints the government puts up for self-publicity purposes.

• Like 6

Babylon Bee

Screenshot_20200518-072217_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.a32f38c25c7146d08f60604db71a575a.jpg

Many Americans are growing tired of the lockdown and want to once again leave their homes and go do things. As many historians note, this is similar to the attitude of genocidal maniac Adolf Hitler.

“If there is one thing Hitler was known for,” says historian Eric Reese, “it’s that he would leave his house and do things -- such as go to a restaurant, go to the store, or give a speech to a large crowd. It’s interesting -- and maybe scary -- that so many Americans want to do some of those same things.”

There are many photos of Hitler outside, providing ironclad proof that Hitler also liked to leave his house. It’s not certain, though, what the connection is between hateful bigotry and not wanting to be trapped in one’s own home. “We can’t know what’s motivating these people who want to get out of their houses,” said California Governor Gavin Newsom, “but is genocide next? History says yes.”

In Hitler’s final days, though, he did dutifully shelter in place -- living in a bunker -- despite wanting to go outside, so historians note that people who actually do go outside are in fact “worse than Hitler.”

• Haha 9
  • Rolling Eye 1

There was no coronavirus in Poland circa 1980.

• Rolling Eye 3

Kirkman, That article was a very good read.  Thanks.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tom Nolan said:

Kirkman, That article was a very good read.  Thanks.

Great : )  Please feel free to share the article with others, to counter the toxic media.

I4QAdaTr.jpeg.7786fc6f12789a6a91985a055002096e.jpeg

• Haha 4

(edited)

The behaviour of the Sacramento Police Dept commanders, in ordering their men into the street in riot gear, is remarkable.  You have to conclude that [Governor} Gavin Newsom is involved in that decision.  I get the impression that he feels personally threatened by the "disobedience."   I conclude that politicians, and Democrats in particular, rapidly develop internal feelings of being threatened the moment that outright refusal to "obey" their Orders is shown. the response behaviour is a purely psychological reaction; wht does he think, that some moms and kids walking around and waving some picket signs are a mortal danger?  

Why the Democrat politicians are more afraid of anyone who refuses to genuflect before them, than say Republicans, is an interesting and curious twist.  Mass conformity seems to be more associated with the "Democrats" than other political factions.  

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Like 4
  • Great Response! 3
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Jan van Eck said:

The behaviour of the Sacramento Police Dept commanders, in ordering their men into the street in riot gear, is remarkable.  You have to conclude that [Governor} Gavin Newsom is involved in that decision.  I get the impression that he feels personally threatened by the "disobedience."   I conclude that politicians, and Democrats in particular, rapidly develop internal feelings of being threatened the moment that outright refusal to "obey" their Orders is shown. the response behaviour is a purely psychological reaction; wht does he think, that some moms and kids walking around and waving some picket signs are a mortal danger?  

Why the Democrat politicians are more afraid of anyone who refuses to genuflect before them, than say Republicans, is an interesting and curious twist.  Mass conformity seems to be more associated with the "Democrats" than other political factions.  

One must remember the Democratic hierarchy from the very beginning assumed the role of moral authority. And deeper to that thought Trump has cast himself as a outlier a agent of change since the very beginning..hence maga. Russian collusion/election....Flynn...Kavanaugh....Muller....The Wall...and finally impeachment. Each and every time the dems took the role of moral superiority...controlling the narrative, each time they lost.

If they lose control of the covid narrative the party will lose badly, this time they hurt all of America not just Trump or the Republicans...the entire US. California is the Democratic ground zero they cannot lose control of California...the implications would be profound.

Speaking of narratives:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/adam-schiff-wall-street-journal-editorial-board-has-no-credibility

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/politics/republican-ags-michael-flynn-judge/index.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/oregon-judge-tosses-out-statewide-coronavirus-restrictions/

https://thehill.com/opinion/criminal-justice/497729-how-the-fbis-intelligence-experiment-went-wrong

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

(edited)

2 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

One must remember the Democratic hierarchy from the very beginning assumed the role of moral authority

Eyes, I think you have hit the nail on the head. 

The Democratic Party has largely had a certain Calvinist stentorian posture, that they sit at the right hand of God and thus know best what is best for everyone else.  there is this undercurrent of an urge to run other peoples' lives.  I see that even in matters as small as storm debris removal. 

I once lived in an exurban town controlled by Democrats.  I was a volunteer on the Fire Department and so after windstorms, hurricanes, that sort of thing, we would go out with our chainsaws as "first responders" to clear up fallen tree debris, tree limbs, anything that was blocking up the roads that would prevent ambulances and fire trucks from passing.  This had a certain urgency as if a downed power line started a fire and there was a tree across the road, then the equipment was blocked until the guys could cut it away, so we would go out right away and cut up whatever was blocking the path, clean it all up later.  the volunteering also took the pressure over the town crews, which were thinly manned due to the pressure to keep the overall payroll, hence thet axes, down. 

So after one hurricane there were these two large trees, perhaps 36 inches in diameter and over fifty feet tall, that had fallen across the main road right outside the fire house, isolating the fire house from a large section of town.  I scooted back to the house and got my chainsaw and protective gear, back to the site, and started donning the leggings  (they would stop the saw in cse of "kick-back," a lurking danger in chainsaw operation).  Along comes the local First Selectman  (equivalent to the Mayor), a peculiar fellow with strange ideas on a good day  (and seriously lousy ones on a bad day), who stops me and says:  "What are you doing?"   Me: "Cutting up that tree so tht we can get the trucks through."  He: "I forbid you to do that!"   Me: "Why?"   He: "It's dangerous!  Those wires might be live [referring to the downed power lines]."  

Me:  "Hey, there is no power anywhere for thirty miles around. Nobody has power."   He: "Someone could be running a generator and back-feeding into those wires."   Me: "All the houses are on wells; anyone attempting to backfeed will tripout his generator, all the well pump motors will try to kick on simultaneously, that would trip the breakers."  He: "If you try to cut that log I will have you Arrested!"   Me:  "On what authority?"  He: "I will have a policeman here in 30 seconds and he will arrest you!"  

So this total Masshole would rather leave the main road out of the Fire House blocked for two or three days so that it will be removed by paid town workers instead of some volunteer, which threatens his sense of Control over the public. 

Well, I packed it in and left, knowing that he would leave the area soon enough to go play Lord over some other part of town, and sure enough, I came back an hour later and the tree was gone, cut up for firewood by enterprising neighbors.  Hey, lots of guys have chain saws and pick-up trucks (or, in a pinch, a wheelbarrow). 

What a Masshole.   

Edited by Jan van Eck
  • Upvote 7

Restaurant reservations tanked before they were ordered to close. Consumers quarantined themselves before the government made it official. 

The point economists keep making over and over is that you need to convince consumers the environment is safe. Trump threw his credibility in the trash can almost immediately. State governors ordered closures and established health metrics to retain their credibility when they start lifting the stay at home orders. 

EVu9YvFXQAIAAtq.jpg

• Rolling Eye 2

Typical characteristic of the Democrat authoritarian. They are control freaks who justify their authority with an unsubstantiated if not utterly fake moral stance as "doing the right thing". They need to feel total control of people around them, and the people of their public or jurisdiction in order to feel safe. They are capable of dealing with "evil" opposition Republicans. But not with broad public disregard, distrust, or outright calling them out as evil. If their tool of "moral superiority" fails to impress the public, then they are immediately without their main tool of survival and feel a mortal and immediate danger. I have seen it up close at the lowest levels and the highest levels. From hompe owner's associations to national party leaders and statewide elected officials.

This Hillary type is fully and unquestionably committed to the idea that their group is the "elite" on all levels and all they do is right because it is they that do it, and enriching themselves is justified as their reward for being in "the right". Many don't take long into their careers to realize that they are just plain crooks and overbearing elitists. That hardly ever stops them, it just adds a layer of shame and guilt to their need to both be in control and appear as morally superior. How would they survive if their orders mean nothing and plain old people tell them they are immoral?

I don't know that the Dem power grab has won them as much enmity as @Jan and @Eyes presume, because surveys downtown in the big Dem cities show a great deal of support for them, upwards of 70% in some cases. But as the facts come out that the virus was not on the scale of mortality as presented to the public, then the Dems and their supporting Media panic and horror show will be sidelined even in their core constituencies. Their collusion with the CCP will eventually be exposed.NDA agreements do not protect you in a counterintelligence investigation. Which I would expect will be happening soon enough.  Just in time to throw leaks into the months before the election.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, BradleyPNW said:

Restaurant reservations tanked before they were ordered to close. Consumers quarantined themselves before the government made it official. 

The point economists keep making over and over is that you need to convince consumers the environment is safe. Trump threw his credibility in the trash can almost immediately. State governors ordered closures and established health metrics to retain their credibility when they start lifting the stay at home orders. 

EVu9YvFXQAIAAtq.jpg

Not an issue. The real issue is the media frenzy of panic and the follow up of power hungry governors with illegal orders nobody needed to follow. Particularly not their AGs and police departments. And their people should have ignored.  It is people's choice whether they take the risk of going out or don't. Entirely not any business of the governor of anything. The overstated death stats, the unrelenting avalanche of arbitrary and capricious policy decisions and flip flopping suggestions to the public, the unreasonable policies, they all make it clear that this episode had nothing to do with the Wuhan CCP virus, But was purely a political ploy used by governments around the world to seek control of their people.

For the Trump supporter,the media, the "expert" bureaucrats, the Dems and the large corporations are of a piece and inseparable, the many who were taken in by this Kabuki horror show were out of restaurants and busy bars.They needed actual medical advice, not politicos trotting out their bureaucrat poseur "experts" to spout error scary  lies and gibberish.

The restaurants could have devised their way into reducing their patron's risks. But were not given a choice nor direction. Neither did their customers.

• Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 2

@0R0

“Typical characteristic of the Democrat authoritarian. They are control freaks who justify their authority with an unsubstantiated if not utterly fake moral stance as "doing the right thing". They need to feel total control of people around them, and the people of their public or jurisdiction in order to feel safe.”

The caveat to this is that many people are just sheep anymore and WANT to be led around by the nose. They simply do not want to, or are incapable of, making a decision.

I miss the days of my youth when ANY decision by ANYONE in authority was immediately questioned, then debated, before acceptance.

(Well, except for my grandfather who was a deputy sheriff in Summers County, West Virginia....you questioned him at your peril!😂)

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

So as I child I often watched the twilight zone. It made a lasting impression on me let's say.

In memory of that show and a tribute to this thread...I give you Biden'sVP pick..Stacy Abrams the below is a actual pic from a photo shoot. Joan of Arch reincarnation...well several reincarnations or more

EYLaHRnX0AEI-Gt.jpeg

Edited by Eyes Wide Open
  • Haha 4

22 minutes ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

So as I child I often watched watched the twilight zone. It made a lasting impression on me let's say.

In memory of that show and a tribute to this thread...I give you Biden'sVP pick..Stacy Abrams the below is a actual pic from a photo shoot. Joan of Arch reincarnation...well several reincarnations or more

EYLaHRnX0AEI-Gt.jpeg

We’re screwed.....

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Dead on accurate.  Presented without my usual long winded comments.

In April something was bugging me… a familiarity amid the COVID lock-down status & another time… I couldn’t quite put my finger on it until a dear friend reminded me.

Many U.S. states are acting like the early 1980’s and the imposition of Martial law in Poland to target the Solidarity movement.  Subsequently I wrote about it on a Twitter thread, because the parallels were really quite remarkable.

sacramento-storm-troopers.jpg.04f39de000e5c68ef289b023f3f36d7a.jpg

Sacramento California, peaceful protesters confronted by riot police

Both Poland circa 1980 and the U.S. friction in 2020, center around fragile economic issues. Both were an outcome of state control; and the key connection is government targeting control over the workers.

In both examples the state took exclusive control of the economic and social state of the citizens, and the courts provided no option for redress. In both examples the state locked down the citizens and would not permit them to interact with each other.

In 1981 the government in Poland initiated Martial Law and citizens were forced to communicate underground. In 2020 a considerable number of U.S. state governments locked-down citizens in similar fashion and banned citizen assembly.

In 1981 in Poland the communist regime used economic psychological pressure, selecting workers permitted to earn wages. Those workers identified as “essential” to the state. In 2020 many State governors selected workers to earn an income by designating them “essential” to the state.

In 1981 in Poland; communication amid the Solidarity Movement was forced underground. In 2020 many oppressive State governors demanded social media remove public content adverse to the interests of the Stay-at-Home confinement orders. Big Tech complied with the authoritarian dictate.

In 1981 Polish authorities arrested anyone organizing protests against the authoritarian state. In 2020 numerous authoritarian officials arrested citizens for non-compliance with unilateral dictates. From a New Jersey governor arresting a woman for organizing a protect; to an Idaho mother arrested for allowing her children to play at a park; to a Texas salon owner arrested for operating her business.

solidarity-movement.jpg.865f2fe22b335e66d4b3c9c6fcda00ae.jpg

In 1981 Polish authorities had a program for citizens to report subversive activity against the state. Snitching. In 2020 New York City, LA and numerous state and local officials started programs for citizens to report non-compliant activity against the state. Similar snitching.

In both 1981 Poland and 2020 USA we also see media exclusively creating ideological content as propaganda for the interests of the authoritarian state (controlling citizens).

Interestingly, as we begin to see the American people saying “enough”, and openly defying the authoritarian state. There’s another parallel that is comparable, enlightening and quite remarkable.

Just before the authoritarian state in Poland collapsed there was a rapid movement for the citizens to take to the streets in defiance of state control. I remember watching with great enthusiasm as I saw a very determined pole shout on television:

…”we take to the streets and today we realize, there are more of us than them”…

Fast forward more than thirty years later and those glorious voices are prescient. The power of the government comes from the people; or as we say in the U.S. “from the consent of the governed.” Thus the underlying principle behind our defiance.

If the people will lead, the politicians are forced to follow:

virginia-beach.jpg.8a748ec75ee472c724da16047c656612.jpg

If one person refuses to comply, government can and as we have witnessed arrest them. However, if tens of thousands rebuke these unconstitutional decrees, there isn’t a damn thing government can do to stop it…. and they know it.

If one barber shop opens, the owner becomes a target.  However, if every barber shop and beauty salon in town opens… there is absolutely nothing the government can do about it.

If one restaurant and/or bar opens, the state can target the owner.  But if every bar and restaurant in town opens; and if everyone ignores  and dispatches the silly dictates of the local, regional or state officials… there isn’t a damned thing they can do about it.

The power of the local, regional or state authority comes from the expressed consent of the people.  As soon as the majority of people deny that consent, those officials and state authoritarians lose all of their power.  Yes, it really is that simple.

Go live your best life.

You’re worth it.

1827969633_sacramentostormtroopers2.png.83a39c6bdd6bc3d79c2be654145bd99a.png

Sacramento, California

had-enough-2.jpg.1596f0c3d86d75e0fda14ea8ea3387ad.jpg

My topic on The Ways of Resistance https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WQ-zisaVMZfE5k3wNHiATcMreKlWa5VTHPk15pn0eCE/edit

6 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

The mass media love to call conservatives fascists yet the truth is very plain to anyone with a brain. Demoncrats are the fascists. 

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 4

(edited)

15 hours ago, BradleyPNW said:

EVu9YvFXQAIAAtq.jpg

An excellent chart that shows, without a doubt, that the restaurant owners and their patrons did NOT NEED the government to tell them to do what they were already doing.  Duh!  And, as has been already stated by another commenter, they would also have found ways to make it safe for their VALUED customers in order to get the business back when it was deemed safe.  How would they know?  By listening to the experts, NOT the government.  The government's job, in our society and system, is to advise, to make recommendations.  Example: in a Tornado Watch or even a Tornado Warning scenario, or a Hurricane Alert/Warning, the government can STRONGLY advise to take shelter, to evacuate even, but they cannot force a resident to do any of the above.  If a man wants to get sucked up into a twister, that's his right, foolish as it may seem to others.

Edit:  I've just got to come back to this excellent chart.  So, the government ordered restaurants closed, that were already closed.  If that was me doing my job, I think I'd just keep my mouth shut and hope nobody noticed I'd missed it!

Edited by Dan Warnick
y
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

An excellent chart that shows, without a doubt, that the restaurant owners and their patrons did NOT NEED the government to tell them to do what they were already doing.  Duh!  And, as has been already stated by another commenter, they would also have found ways to make it safe for their VALUED customers in order to get the business back when it was deemed safe.  How would they know?  By listening to the experts, NOT the government.  The government's job, in our society and system, is to advise, to make recommendations.  Example: in a Tornado Watch or even a Tornado Warning scenario, or a Hurricane Alert/Warning, the government can STRONGLY advise to take shelter, to evacuate even, but they cannot force a resident to do any of the above.  If a man wants to get sucked up into a twister, that's his right, foolish as it may seem to others.

Is that how Ayn Rand fantasists would write their alternate COVID reality timeline? 

Restaurant owners are experts at restaurant operations not infectious disease. Private industry can't make a profit preparing for, responding to, or managing a national pandemic response. Hence, government is the main player.  

wrt public safety, emergency responders don't have a lot of choice when it comes to saving fools. The idea of placing the safety of hospital ER staff into the hands of Bubba "Prepper" Jones is a joke. It's gotta be a joke, right? This thread consists of people proposing that a mythological political ideology created in Little House on the Prairie is the source of magic we should use to combat an infectious disease. 

https://www.history.com/news/little-libertarians-on-the-prairie-the-hidden-politics-behind-a-childrens-classic

• Rolling Eye 1

6 minutes ago, BradleyPNW said:

Restaurant owners are experts at restaurant operations not infectious disease. Private industry can't make a profit preparing for, responding to, or managing a national pandemic response. Hence, government is the main player.  

Screenshot_20200519-152044_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.8374c656bb02119c4c024aa2a30c0df4.jpg

Government Announces Lockdown Of All Fast-Food Restaurants To Prevent Heart Disease

• Haha 2

How should we deal with public health and infectious disease? I know, let's turn to the magical thinking of a twentieth century children's story famous for mythologizing US history. 

51JbeCi5vsL.jpg

• Rolling Eye 1

16 hours ago, Eyes Wide Open said:

So as I child I often watched the twilight zone. It made a lasting impression on me let's say.

EYLaHRnX0AEI-Gt.jpeg

Ticking a few boxes there 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BradleyPNW said:

How should we deal with public health and infectious disease? I know, let's turn to the magical thinking of a twentieth century children's story famous for mythologizing US history. 

51JbeCi5vsL.jpg

White privilege I'd assume.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 9:34 AM, Tom Kirkman said:

Dead on accurate.  Presented without my usual long winded comments.

Tom FYI:

The Polish Solidarity Movement had a strong and determined leader, Lech Walesa with a clear mandate from his support base.

US lock-down scattered protest movement across America imposed by covid19 Plandemic has neither. 

Most protesters tend to be Republican and pro Trump - the clueless leader at the center of the crisis - who can't even lead himself let alone a nation of 330 million people, regularly and habitually picking up fights with every one from Xi to Jared, Fauci to WHO the hell is WHO?! 

Solidarity had US, NATO Allies, CIA, MI6 and the Vatican & POPE John Paul II ....supporting and fighting on their side for their cause.

American people out on streets of America don't - assuming naively and optimistically that the above are not fighting for the Government and against the American people.

Western Media Industrial Complex were hounding General Jaruzelsky and his military rule with their relentless 24/7 assault on them for their authoritarian rule and violating human rights and cracking down on Solidarity and its support base.

American people and public opinion can't really make out how the fuck the CNN & FOX News 24/7 wrestling match, Trump & Obama boxing match or Trump & Democrat State officials shouting match relate to their lives and livelihood in the darkness of lock-down in any positive way other than creating an atmosphere of mass confusion and distraction less breathable and less clear than that created by the Mount St. Helens eruption in 1980.

Unfortunately for the American people this is not a simple divide between the people and the Government as most republican protesters are proudly carrying and waving the photos of the head of the Federal Government; its like Solidarity & Lech Walesa carrying and waving General Jaruzelsky's photo rather than tear and burn them. 

There are more American people than American Government officials, politicians and law enforcement police officers in riot gears across America but people are not united in their goals and objectives; scattered and leaderless protests in themselves are not an adequate recipe for winning and obtaining political objectives on such grand scale with so much at stake on both sides of the divide.

Further deterioration of social unrest and street protest could lead to violent clashes and possibly arm conflict between those disparately wanting to end the lock-down and return to work and resume their normal way of life and restart to make a living with the authorities Republicans or Democrats still adamant to extend their extra judicial powers and lock-down policies banking on compliance and cooperation from those still fearful of the pandemic and wishing to stay home longer.

ps; don't expect a political coup either as Uncle Sam does NOT have an embassy in Washington.