Tom Kirkman

Meet W.H.O.'s Goodwill Ambassador: Peng Liyuan, wife of Chinese President Xi Jinping

2 of WHO's Goodwill Ambassadors are:  

1)  the wife of China's President Xi  

2)  a news presenter and host for the English-language channel of the Chinese Communist Party's state-controlled CCTV.

1026859599_WHOgoodwillambassadorwifeofXi.png.27444094f76dbbdc9aa20f1421cf654d.png

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/status/1262917231358418954

https://www.un.org/fr/node/55065

World Health Organization (WHO)

1. James Chau (UK) Goodwill Ambassador for Sustainable Development Goals and Health
2. Peng Liyuan (China) Soprano and Actress, Goodwill Ambassador for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS
3. Yohei Sasakawa (Japan) Chairman of The Nippon Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination

https://www.newsweek.com/who-must-drop-its-pro-beijing-goodwill-ambassador-opinion-1504961

As the World Health Organization (WHO) meets virtually this week for its annual assembly, its chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus should explain why the agency's elite group of "goodwill ambassadors" includes a Chinese government news presenter who has broadcast forced confessions and is now exploiting his WHO title to whitewash China's handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Born and raised in the U.K., James Chau has worked since 2004 in Beijing as a news presenter and host for the English-language channel of the Chinese Communist Party's state-controlled CCTV.

Chau was appointed to the WHO in February 2016 by its previous head Dr. Margaret Chan, a Chinese national with close ties to Beijing. Appointments only last two years, which means Tedros has twice renewed Chau's term.

• Like 2
  • Great Response! 1

So?  It's not like they need the money 😂, and they are performing a service for public good.

Goodwill Ambassadors are well-known personalities from the worlds of arts, literature, entertainment, sport or other fields of public life who commit to contribute to WHO's efforts to raise awareness of important health problems and solutions.

Appointed by the Director-General, they work closely with WHO to draw attention to its overall priorities or a specific health issue affecting people's lives and well-being.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hotone said:

So?  It's not like they need the money 😂, and they are performing a service for public good.

Goodwill Ambassadors are well-known personalities from the worlds of arts, literature, entertainment, sport or other fields of public life who commit to contribute to WHO's efforts to raise awareness of important health problems and solutions.

Appointed by the Director-General, they work closely with WHO to draw attention to its overall priorities or a specific health issue affecting people's lives and well-being.

With respect, you don't think we know what goodwill ambassadors are supposed to be?  I'm pretty sure the reason for the post is to point out the apparent tentacles of the CCP into the WHO.  But, apparently, based on your comment, in the middle of controversy surrounding Chinese influence in the WHO, you choose to go with the "this is perfectly normal" routine.  Okay.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

With respect, you don't think we know what goodwill ambassadors are supposed to be?  I'm pretty sure the reason for the post is to point out the apparent tentacles of the CCP into the WHO.  But, apparently, based on your comment, in the middle of controversy surrounding Chinese influence in the WHO, you choose to go with the "this is perfectly normal" routine.  Okay.

I think that Americans have already become too paranoid about China.  I heard this example: 'If I pick up a pen, my friend will think that I will write something down for him, my enemy will think that I am going to stab him'.  Americans now view everything from the point of an enemy, which is stupid.

Sure, China didn't handle the situation well in the beginning.  You can watch this CNN interview with China's Dr Fauci.

13 minutes ago, Hotone said:

I think that Americans have already become too paranoid about China.  I heard this example: 'If I pick up a pen, my friend will think that I will write something down for him, my enemy will think that I am going to stab him'.  Americans now view everything from the point of an enemy, which is stupid.

Sure, China didn't handle the situation well in the beginning.  You can watch this CNN interview with China's Dr Fauci.

Good video.  Thanks for sharing.  I'm impressed it comes from CNN.  But then again, it was an interview with an esteemed doctor and does not contain CNN opinion, so I would expect no less.

Now, one more time:  I don't believe your average American citizen has a problem with the Chinese people.  They have a serious problem with the Chinese government.

So, to whoever you "heard" those comments from, tell them to relax.  Tell them to tell people around them they feel that way, seriously.  I'll bet those Americans around them will be stunned to hear it, and will immediately do their best to dispel his/her feelings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

2 of WHO's Goodwill Ambassadors are:  

1)  the wife of China's President Xi  

2)  a news presenter and host for the English-language channel of the Chinese Communist Party's state-controlled CCTV.

1026859599_WHOgoodwillambassadorwifeofXi.png.27444094f76dbbdc9aa20f1421cf654d.png

https://twitter.com/HillelNeuer/status/1262917231358418954

https://www.un.org/fr/node/55065

1. James Chau (UK) Goodwill Ambassador for Sustainable Development Goals and Health
2. Peng Liyuan (China) Soprano and Actress, Goodwill Ambassador for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS
3. Yohei Sasakawa (Japan) Chairman of The Nippon Foundation, Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination

https://www.newsweek.com/who-must-drop-its-pro-beijing-goodwill-ambassador-opinion-1504961

As the World Health Organization (WHO) meets virtually this week for its annual assembly, its chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus should explain why the agency's elite group of "goodwill ambassadors" includes a Chinese government news presenter who has broadcast forced confessions and is now exploiting his WHO title to whitewash China's handling of the coronavirus pandemic.

Born and raised in the U.K., James Chau has worked since 2004 in Beijing as a news presenter and host for the English-language channel of the Chinese Communist Party's state-controlled CCTV.

Chau was appointed to the WHO in February 2016 by its previous head Dr. Margaret Chan, a Chinese national with close ties to Beijing. Appointments only last two years, which means Tedros has twice renewed Chau's term.

Tom, you should go to work for The Epoch Times. They are the only newspaper that reveals things like this. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

(edited)

10 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Yeah, choose them to do something they do not care about......... Has someone mentioned this is a rather good strategy to save more money for internal economy of big nations, say, after cutting UN and NATO off?                                                                                                                                                                                                                       image.png.bd43bc18ac0d11600ce3a9ac2b9e66de.png

Edited by specinho
  • Haha 1

(edited)

8 hours ago, Hotone said:

I think that Americans have already become too paranoid about China. 

I agree and the reason is the intensity of US media propaganda. But Chinese are not alone, US is paranoid about about any country or block of countries (like EU) that it can no longer control.

it is perfectly in line with psychological profile of US society. US society feels exceptional in the way that it means it is perfect. Unfortunantely (as is in life) there are many political, economic and societal problems. But because Americans are so "exceptional" the problems are not solved. The can is kicked down the road. And politicians find foreign culprits of these problems: now it is mostly China and in part also European Union, in the past it was Japan. But always foreigners not Americans. This is very harmful for United States, but unfortunately till significant losses would come Americans will not change.

It is China/EU that are the ultimate culprits of 9/11, War on Terror, US fiscal deficit, US foreign trade deficit, 2008 global financial crisis and great depression, FED QE and last but not least COVID-19.

Politicians from both parties tell you this and you have to believe cause like in North Korea and China this is only narrative available.

Back to Ambassadors, it is perfectly normal that celebrities volunteer for such positions, in a lot of organizations, also at WHO: link to all WHO ambassadors:

https://www.who.int/about/who-we-are/structure/goodwill-ambassadors

It would be fantastic if US First Lady Melania Trump also joined.

TRY to leave for 60 seconds your exceptional armour of anti-China paranoia and read this:

Chinese First Lady is one of the most popular people in the world, she is the wife of No.2 person globally (after US President).  She is an ambassador for Tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS.

So it is important that she gives her face for promotion of such heathcare initiative.

Xi Jinping was himself the face of toilet building initiative in China.

Narendra Modi was himself the face of toilet building initiative in India.

Each of them saved 100,000s of lives due to better sanitation for 35% of the global population.

Edited by Marcin2
typo
  • Rolling Eye 1