Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

This is why we need self-driving cars ...

There have been a couple of self-driving car tragedies lately, but nothing compares to the damage humans do themselves behind the wheel, and it's only getting worse. Yes, I'm talking to you obsessive texters and social media-ers who can't miss a beat in the life lived vicariously. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.09.45 PM.png

• Upvote 2

I would think this would be obvious to everyone but human beings always impress me with their ability to fear the unknown more than the clear and present danger of the known, which in this case is much more dangerous by all accounts. And I don't say that because some guy just rammed into me while texting. ...

24 minutes ago, Kate Turlington said:

There have been a couple of self-driving car tragedies lately, but nothing compares to the damage humans do themselves behind the wheel, and it's only getting worse. Yes, I'm talking to you obsessive texters and social media-ers who can't miss a beat in the life lived vicariously. 

how is self-driving cars an improvement? They still recommend hands on the wheel at all times, don't they? Still requires a licensed driver behind the wheel--which would lead one to conclude that texting would still be a hazard either way. What self-driving technology does do is increase the possible risk because people erroneously think it is foolproof and requires no oversight.

but they already think it's foolproof ... i estimate that about half of the people i see behind a wheel I'd rather know they were in a fully automated car (the final version of the self-driving vehicle). 

but by the time self-driving/full automated cars become the 'thing', Musk will be on Mars and no one will think it's ... scary anymore. :)

Toyota executive thinks that autonomous vehicles could eventually save 35,000 lives annually, what is 98 percent of deadly crashes blamed on driver error. 

Well  he's right at some point. Accidents like self driving Uber like in Arizona when woman died are unfortunately something that will happen along the way. And every accident in those cars will be watch under the magnifying glass. Our skepticism will slow down the adoption of autonomous driving. I can't see we are ready to accept self driving cars at this time.

10 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

Here's an idea ... since Facebook is already going down, let's make it pay out for accident insurance, too, and take partial responsibility for Texting-While-Driving accidents :)

I think the problem here is the new addiction to devices. I find myself incapable of comprehending texting while driving, honestly. Or hanging out in social media while behind the wheel. One out of four is a lot! Isn't it time this addiction is addressed properly?

can't really comprehend hanging out in social media when NOT behind the wheel ... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dowmike said:

can't really comprehend hanging out in social media when NOT behind the wheel ... 

Amen.

I don't feel bad in the least for all those facebook users who let themselves become tools of campaign-ology. What did they think would happen? Did they think Facebook was created with the sole purpose of making them feel better and less lonely, and given them a platform to host their alter-ego? Hopefully, they didn't all do it while driving. I fear that self-driving cars will actually be a bigger boost for social media 'vicarious living' as someone put it earlier. 

4 minutes ago, Seleskya said:

I fear that self-driving cars will actually be a bigger boost for social media 'vicarious living' as someone put it earlier. 

In that case I would rather have them behind the wheel of self-driving car  than conventional car.

Honestly, I don't understand the fear of self-driving cars. Really, I'm not going to buy another car until it can drive itself. I mean, have these people not ever sat in traffic before? Would definitely rather be watching a movie...

• Downvote 1