Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CM

Meet Our New Cyber Defense Warriors ... Courtesy of the DoE

The Department of Energy just held it's competition for the next class of cyber defense warriors. This what we're banking on to protect our critical energy infrastructure. Personally, I think it's a great idea, but one that we're still not getting ahead of fast enough. And I can think of a few other spots we might want to hold a competition for in D.C....

https://techcrunch.com/2018/04/09/department-of-energy-hosts-competition-to-train-cyber-defense-warriors/

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 2.36.49 PM.png

This brand of cyber warriors are a different breed entirely, and the DoD will need to do a lot of creative things to keep the pipeline filled with people to serve in this capacity. I have my doubts that they will be able to recruit enough qualified people. 

The military is not known for cyber-geek-recruiting prowess.

What strategies are they using besides college recruitment? This is not the only--or even best--option here. Many cyber skills (I use that term generously) are not learned in college, but through..uh... different means.

A dollar late and a dollar short. The US should already have a slew of these cyber warriors in the works. Our infrastructure and national security has been at risk for quite some time.