This was bound to happen, sad to say. If you believe that the CCP will ever honor any agreement, treaty or accord, just look at Hong Kong. Taiwan beware!

• Like 2

Hong Kong's and Taiwan's situations are not the same: 

Taiwan, in its current version, was essentially a split due to civil war between the CPC and the Kuomintang.  If China wants Taiwan, they essentially will need to reopen the civil war or negotiate a reunification that is acceptable to both parties.  Taiwan knows very well that any negotiations are centered around Beijing taking control, whether expressed or not, and therefore they resist to this day.

Hong Kong was leased to the UK for 99 years, at which point it was to be handed back to China.  That happened.  Reverse the tables and say that Hawaii was leased to the Chinese for 99 years and was handed back.  I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam would say the rules of the mainland, by and large, would apply.

People may not like this, and I fully understand that.  I feel for the people of Hong Kong, of all of China for that matter, but it is what it is.  Only they can change it.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

BIG news on the China/Hong Kong front:  Taiwan is inserting itself into the mix!  I did NOT see this coming, and I don't imagine Beijing did either, nor do I think it will make them any happier.

Taiwan offers help to Hong Kong activists as China tightens grip

Taiwan's laws already provide help to Hong Kong citizens whose safety and liberty are threatened for political reasons.

Taiwan will provide the people of Hong Kong with "necessary assistance", President Tsai Ing-wen said, after a resurgence in protests in the Chinese ruled territory against newly proposed national security legislation from Beijing.

Writing on her Facebook page late on Sunday, Tsai said the proposed legislation was a serious threat to Hong Kong's freedoms and judicial independence - a statement that is likely to rile up China, which considers Taiwan part of its territory.

Taiwan has become a refuge for a small but growing number of pro-democracy protesters fleeing Hong Kong, which has been roiled by protests since last year.

Hong Kong police on Sunday fired tear gas and water cannon to disperse thousands of people who rallied on to protest against Beijing's plan to impose national security laws on the territory.

Bullets and repression are not the way to deal with the aspirations of Hong Kong's people for freedom and democracy, Taiwan's president said.

"In face of the changing situation, the international community has proactively stretched out a helping hand to Hong Kong's people," Tsai wrote.

Taiwan will "even more proactively perfect and forge ahead with relevant support work, and provide Hong Kong's people with necessary assistance", she wrote.

Taiwan has no law on refugees that could be applied to Hong Kong protesters, who seek asylum on the island. Its laws do promise, however, to help Hong Kong citizens whose safety and liberty are threatened for political reasons.

Anger in Beijing

The Hong Kong protests have won widespread sympathy in Taiwan, and the support for the protesters by Tsai and her administration has worsened already poor ties between Taipei and Beijing.

China, which claims Taiwan as its own, has accused supporters of Taiwan's independence of colluding with the protesters.

China believes Tsai to be a "separatist" bent on declaring the island's formal independence.

Tsai says Taiwan is already an independent country called the Republic of China, its official name.

Tsai's latest statement on Hong Kong could also further complicate its delicate relationship with Beijing, as she begins her second term in office.

In her inauguration speech last week, Tsai pledged to seek stability in relations with China, saying that "peace, parity, democracy, and dialogue" should form the basis for contacts between the sides as a means to prevent intensifying antagonisms and differences.

But Tsai also rejected China's "one country, two systems" framework saying it would "downgrade Taiwan and undermine the cross-strait status quo".

Meanwhile, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi said the proposed law for Hong Kong should be imposed "without the slightest delay".

The proposal is expected to ban treason, subversion and sedition, and comes after Hong Kong was shaken by months of enormous and sometimes violent anti-government protests.

Wang Yi told a news conference that the law was "imperative" after protests in the semi-autonomous hub last year "seriously endangered China's national security".

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES

Edited by Dan Warnick

7 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Made my first meme this morning.  Haven't even had my coffee yet.  Xi is a tyrant. 

Or, more appropriately, Xi is a Communist Bandit  共匪

1092120616_CommunistBanditXiApprovesHongKongDemocracy.jpg.2e4f2648d1340a4db4f2d9fa1011b2c0.jpg

I don't know why Xi (she) doesn't like the term.  According to the Urban Dictionary:

image.png.a875a5fa7307e6ee84a3c5332275dde7.png

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dan Warnick said:

I don't know why Xi (she) doesn't like the term.  According to the Urban Dictionary:

image.png.a875a5fa7307e6ee84a3c5332275dde7.png

Maybe Xi dislikes the word "Communist" ?  Also from Urban Dictionary:

communists.png.8080f2a088fac498047126b7a5c4db14.png

146586656_CommunistBanditXirulesoverhongkong.jpg.f2fb37e76ec366d82e538cc467ffcb80.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

OMG!  It turns out there's another meaning for Bandit.  Who knew?

image.png.dde00a7073fa02e8115ddb60601a0545.png

I'll bet he still gets the girls, though.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Tom Kirkman said:

Maybe Xi dislikes the word "Communist" ?  Also from Urban Dictionary:

communists.png.8080f2a088fac498047126b7a5c4db14.png

146586656_CommunistBanditXirulesoverhongkong.jpg.f2fb37e76ec366d82e538cc467ffcb80.jpg

Communism, capitalism, American and Chinese companies, etc explained

• Like 2

So I'm still making new memes this morning, because those pesky Mandarin spammers continue to keep spamming the forum this morning.  Playing whack-a-mole.  (Whack-a-CCP ?) 

The more they spam this forum, the more memes I'll make to annoy Xi's censors.

1931113101_XispreadsChinaFlu.jpg.0f2b50b6372ba678d0db9b02de1a5c60.jpg

• Like 1

Free Hong Kong!

And while you’re at it, free Tibet, recognize Taiwan, stop with the 9-Line-Map nonsense and maybe quit harassing the Ouighars.

Maybe focusing on China itself would be a good idea...

• Like 1
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

Where's all the whiners from the U.S. about social distancing?  Oh, complaining about these people wouldn't be a swipe, ultimately, at Trump.  I get it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good luck, Hong Kong.  I wish you every bit of success to keep the CCP out of your lives.  It would be helpful if every newspaper and news organization in the world made this front page news, every day, for as long as it takes.  That is the kind of news coverage that can make a difference in the world.  I am not saying we should forget or let slide ANYTHING else, just give these guys the top half of the front page.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

amend_china_1.png.610bb4e6bc0bf971ebf7629bf3439e13.png

amend_china_2.png.337318b123bcec65cd5e67dd20886b8f.png

amend_china_3.png.9b4208d3c525b47cb62b6264beb5dbd5.png

amend_china_4.png.8c4d19a058a4b91e6ba224ed96bf604c.png

amend_china_5.png.16e824ff42d0ee0e25928c1b15f4ee53.png

The daily Mandarin spammers here are gonna really hate these  : )

• Haha 1

If China does move ‘ham handed’ into HK, which is likely, the financial institutions will move out. The economy of HK will be decimated and will be of no further value to the CCP. HK will become a backwater.

• Like 1

Hongkongers are in conflict with each other, with younger ones calling for democracy backed by the U.S. and the latter insisting that they stop because HK businesses are losing.

HK was ceded to the British because China lost a war to the latter involving opium. That started because the British was losing money from trade with China, and to get their money back smuggled the drug illegally into China and profit from that. Even the U.S. profited.

China has not forgotten that plus the decades of humiliation which followed, where European countries, Japan, and even the U.S. were trying to carve up the country for exploitation. They managed to do that in neighboring Asian countries but failed in China.

After that, the U.S. tried a "grand chessboard" strategy by building hundreds of military bases and installations worldwide, especially those that surround and enclose not just China but even Russia. She also used covert activities and foreign polices based on onerous loans from the IMF-WB, not to mention petrodollar recycling, to project U.S. power worldwide. The press release to the public was always the same: to ensure "freedom and democracy" for all peoples.

But the strategy is failing because more members of BRICS and emerging markets are becoming less dependent on the U.S. dollar and remaining loyal to the U.S. and its allies, and instead want bilateral ties, trade, and more independence.

At some point, the U.S. won't accept such a world:

• Great Response! 2

(edited)

And they have every right to do so...

Why do you think the US will not accept this? What action do you think the US would take to stop this?

Edited by Douglas Buckland

Guys there are over 100 non democracies in the world.

Accidentally I believe your anger is focused on Hong Kong, the Second most developed non-democracy just After Singapore.

Also accidentally I believe this is about part of country named China, that you hate  cause it will dethrone US as the strongest  country in the world.

Please try to overcome the lenses of this really stupid raw hate, this is antagonizing the US against the world, try smart approach to tackle inevitable Development of China.

I know that it is 5 months till Presidential elections so this is not possible, but later I hope there would be less bias, more common sense in  blaming outsiders for problems of US.

Latest 3 months Reuters or CNN, Well most of US media reached the level of Chinese rags like China Daily in reporting international affairs.

Well China Daily is better  cause there is much less warmongering and raw hate than in US media.

America becomes xenophobic  country.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

Please try to overcome the lenses of this really stupid raw hate, this is antagonizing the US against the world, try smart approach to tackle inevitable Development of China.

CCP can f*ck right off.

YouTube has been actively censoring comments that the Chinese Communist Party finds "offensive".

Chinese *people* are not the problem.

CCP is a parasite.

Please don't apologize for the CCP, it's just wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

59 minutes ago, Marcin2 said:

Guys there are over 100 non democracies in the world.

Accidentally I believe your anger is focused on Hong Kong, the Second most developed non-democracy just After Singapore.

Also accidentally I believe this is about part of country named China, that you hate  cause it will dethrone US as the strongest  country in the world.

I know that it is 5 months till Presidential elections so this is not possible, but later I hope there would be less bias, more common sense in  blaming outsiders for problems of US.

Latest 3 months Reuters or CNN, Well most of US media reached the level of Chinese rags like China Daily in reporting international affairs.

Well China Daily is better  cause there is much less warmongering and raw hate than in US media.

America becomes xenophobic  country.

https://www.parliament.gov.sg/about-us/structure/system-of-government

Does this more closely resemble a democracy or dictatorship similar to China...🤔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Douglas Buckland said:

https://www.parliament.gov.sg/about-us/structure/system-of-government

Does this more closely resemble a democracy or dictatorship similar to China...🤔

Visit Russian Gov page, they also have Democratic institutions, they also do not work, like in Singapore.

My opinion Singapore (democracy index) is between Russia and China. More democracy than in China but less than in Russia.

In Russia you have at least many parties, also opposition represented in parliament ( but all is rigged in favour of Putin).

And Singapore is effectively monoparty state like China, it is so rigged that only 1 non-ruling party is represented they have 6 seats, the ruling party the remaining 83.

Singapore is definitely more authocratic than Russia , the fact that their ways of destroying of opposition and democracy are much more subtle than in Russia does not change anything.

Probably even North Korea has parliament , I really do not know, and they are also Democratic Republic of Korea by name.

(edited)

1 hour ago, Tom Kirkman said:

CCP can f*ck right off.

YouTube has been actively censoring comments that the Chinese Communist Party finds "offensive".

Chinese *people* are not the problem.

CCP is a parasite.

Please don't apologize for the CCP, it's just wrong.

Tom, I just question your motivation, the reason  of This discussion about Hong Kong.

It is not because that you are defender of human rights by yourself.

It is because: China is so large, US is in conflict with China, you are focused on China cause of American media bias.

Hong Kong people with 4th place in HDI and 0.939 mark 

are relatively fine, US has mark 0.920

Guys your writing about Hong Kong has nothing to do with Hong Kong

Edited by Marcin2
Typo

The HDI is published by the UN Development Programme.

The UN, as has been shown by the recent WHO fiasco, has been bought and paid for by China. The recent press out of the UN is increasingly anti-American, which has caused the US to question it’s funding, or even participation, in the organization.

The HDI is dependent on the information it receives....crap in=crap out. If you actually believe that China rates higher than the US, then why do we have a problem with illegal immigration while China only has a problem with illegal immigrants from North Korea?

• Like 2