ML

Forget the trade war, WWIII will start in Syria

Iran is threatening retaliation for an apparent Israeli air strike in Syria, and Trump's got his finger on the button (at least the Twitter button) to clash with Russia over same ... The latter might not happen because until recently Trump was pretty much OK with letting Russia run with this one, but they rarely think more than one move ahead. Russia means Iran, and Israel's meddling too much and it's all going to hit fever pitch. 

I would caution, though, about attempts to control the news flow on this. Trump needs a big distraction right now, and Syria works for that. Doesn't mean there's not a finger on that missile button because that would be an even bigger distraction. But everyone gets caught up in the rational geopolitics of things when sometimes there's a domestic political rationale.

See Russia calling for restraint this morning ...

Wonder how the markets will interpret it

so far oil has rallied on it, but I remember old traders talking about when Baghdad got bomded years ago, maybe 90s, crude fell so fast it massacred some traders, took whole accounts, whole firms out

• Like 2

Market is on a tear this morning ... everyone's numb to Syria at this point I guess. Geopolitical bloodbaths don't have the same effect as trade wars. 

"The Clash of Titans", Iran vs Israel, U.S vs. Russia. In last 48h we had seen one real clash, Iran-Israel (military bases) and announcement of one possible: U.S. against Russia. But, for now it's a "verbal dialogue", and I believe it will stay on that.

Trump needs to show everyone he's down on Russia right now ...

There is something concrete that is pouring oil to fire- Russian envoy to Lebanon said any U.S. missiles fired at Syria will be shot down! 

Russia is only worried about one family in Syria - Assad family. And, of course for its own interest...Get into the war because of  Assad - is not a clever move.

It's definitely been a crazy morning in World news. In terms of Russia and United States - I believe it will stay political talks and tweet attacks. The world doesn't need another WW3. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CMOP said:

It's definitely been a crazy morning in World news. In terms of Russia and United States - I believe it will stay political talks and tweet attacks. The world doesn't need another WW3. 

I believe so too, but the doomsday clock sure is a bit closer to midnight...

• Like 1

[Rodent rushes in to the conversation] Did someone say "Doomsday Clock"?

Brent still holding above $72.

"China Says US Should Give Syria's Assad 'an Opportunity to Explain" 

Who Benefits from war?  Not Iran Not Russia 

China? 

On 11. 04. 2018. at 12:14 PM, CMOP said:

and now Trump is saying the strike on Syria could be soon ... or not soon. hmmmm.... that's helpful. again, love to watch the market react to this gibberish. 

so now it's just over ... that's it? stocks loved it. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 7.55.14 AM.png