Jay McKinsey

60 mph electric mopeds

I kinda wish I’d started riding seriously earlier...maybe I could have worked up to this level and given the TT a shot.

These guys impress the crap out of me, just finishing would be serious bragging rights!

• Like 3
  • Great Response! 1
  • Upvote 1

(edited)

7 hours ago, Jan van Eck said:

H A W T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S.   What is that strap-on traction device, like a bandage, that those guys put on the tire (apparently for the rain)?  

@Jan van Eck very observant and opens a discussion - They are tyre warmers to bring the tyre up to race temp from the get go, a cold tyre with +/- 26psi after a few minutes will increase to 31psi (very hard (psi wise) to take any curve at speed) your looking from 23psi to 27psi depending on track. So you pre heat the tyre at race temp. In the picture you saw was not for this reason, it was to hide the type of tread being used by the rider from other riders, as wet race tyres should not be preheated as they will fall apart very quickly, you want the cold rain water to keep the tyre cool to not take the leading edge of the tread, anything off this lip can spell disaster, the lip expels the water quickly from the rest of the tread, so you have less moisture in the rest of the contact surface.

Make sense?

Edited by James Regan
  • Great Response! 2
  • Upvote 2

(edited)

5 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

the TT Isle of Mann race has fatalities often...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isle_of_Man_TT_Mountain_Course_fatalities

No one talks about it, it happens, the riders vote to carry on or not, they ask the next of kin and the normal reply his that the rider would not want to stop people doing what they came to do, modern day gladiators.......

If crashes are posted on line it doesn't end well for the person who posts the incidents, looking for a thousand impressions on someone dying is Fkn disgusting.

Doug is correct average of four over the years but everyone knows the risks, the fans are not safe either, its either something you love or hate, they are trying to ban it. Doug comment about the MotoGP Rider is correct I sat on a flight next to Marc Marquez and he told me that it was nuts and he would never do it, it at one time was on the MotoGp circuit but Giacomo Agostini lost his bottle and started the boycott of the TT it went from pro to amateur these guys don't make any money its done for the esteem a TT rider will learn and many have and beat GP riders. It takes a special person. You can see at the finish of the races the families in tears of joy that there loved one made it back, its a different sport.....

Check the end of this video and check out the relief .....

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, James Regan said:

No one talks about it, it happens, the riders vote to carry on or not, they ask the next of kin and the normal reply his that the rider would not want to stop people doing what they came to do, modern day gladiators.......

If crashes are posted on line it doesn't end well for the person who posts the incidents, looking for a thousand impressions on someone dying is Fkn disgusting.

Doug is correct average of four over the years but everyone knows the risks, the fans are not safe either, its either something you love or hate, they are trying to ban it. Doug comment about the MotoGP Rider is correct I sat on a flight next to Marc Marquez and he told me that it was nuts and he would never do it, it at one time was on the MotoGp circuit but Giacomo Agostini lost his bottle and started the boycott of the TT it went from pro to amateur these guys don't make any money its done for the esteem a TT rider will learn and many have and beat GP riders. It takes a special person. You can see at the finish of the races the families in tears of joy that there loved one made it back, its a different sport.....

It was scary before, even scarier after I watched how wobbly they were when they left the ground. 

You know the difference between a Ducati and a Harley? 

One has a throttle, the other only has a volume knob

• Great Response! 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Douglas Buckland said:

I kinda wish I’d started riding seriously earlier...maybe I could have worked up to this level and given the TT a shot.

These guys impress the crap out of me, just finishing would be serious bragging rights!

@Douglas Buckland doing the Classic TT next year on this, it was planned for this August with Factory Honda Brasil on a CBR900RR, we got accepted and then guess what... This will be a parade lap on a 1956/7 Clubman DBD34 500CC BSA Single - Older than you. Get yourself there next year its the Mecca for any motorcyclist.....

IMG_5488.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, James Regan said:

To me, it is an absolutely amazing event. To ban it would be the ultimate in PC correctness gone awry.

Jimmy, if the oilfield craters, you and I should make a plan to attend the TT when it resumes!

3 hours ago, James Regan said:

@Douglas Buckland doing the Classic TT next year on this, it was planned for this August with Factory Honda Brasil on a CBR900RR, we got accepted and then guess what... This will be a parade lap on a 1956/7 Clubman DBD34 500CC BSA Single - Older than you. Get yourself there next year its the Mecca for any motorcyclist.....

IMG_5488.jpg

Just saw this...would love to hook up with you there! Got to book early or know someone..

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Ward Smith said:

It was scary before, even scarier after I watched how wobbly they were when they left the ground. 

You know the difference between a Ducati and a Harley? 

One has a throttle, the other only has a volume knob

Yeah, yeah, yeah.....heard this all before from various crotch rocket pilots.

So far this year I’ve pulled over to :

Repair one puncture on a Ducati.

Tie-wrap up a broken shift lever on another so it didn’t hang up in the chain and the guy could putter home in second gear.

Finally had to sort out the kickstand sensor on a Tuono. He was going down the highway at Mach speed when the sensor failed and completely shut his bike down.

These Italian bike ARE very quick....when they are running!😂

I’ll just keep my old Black Pig!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, James Regan said:

It struck me while watching this one:  This has to be one of the highest examples of what individual freedom is all about.

For all you alternate reality, ideologically challenged, sheeple that only buy into some sort of herd mentality, I will ask you this:  When you see these guys doing what they do, does it not stir some primal understanding of "this is my body, my life, I'm really good at this and I'm going to go out there and do it, consequences be damned?"

Just because you may not have the BAXXs to live your own life and take your own chances, you don't get to take away my right to do so!  No, No Buts!  You don't get to take away my rights.

• Great Response! 2

LOL!  Look at the title of this thread!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

It struck me while watching this one:  This has to be one of the highest examples of what individual freedom is all about.

For all you alternate reality, ideologically challenged, sheeple that only buy into some sort of herd mentality, I will ask you this:  When you see these guys doing what they do, does it not stir some primal understanding of "this is my body, my life, I'm really good at this and I'm going to go out there and do it, consequences be damned?"

Just because you may not have the BAXXs to live your own life and take your own chances, you don't get to take away my right to do so!  No, No Buts!  You don't get to take away my rights.

Great post Dan, hit it right on the head, as I always say,  life isn't a practice lap, its game on, live it as best you can and screw those who dont agree with your lifestyle, live your own life just don't force your will or beliefs up my nose every opportunity. Rather risk it like this than waste my time trying to convince others, words and rhetoric are easy, actions take a bit more effort and risk......

Taking what we call Road Racing (Brits) away, would be like asking the NRA to shut it down, aint happening.......

• Great Response! 1

This will be my last one dont want to bore anyone too much, this is the St Ninian Cross roads the first slight curve after the start before they had down Bray Hill at 180mph, this shows you the reality and skill, dont blink.

• Upvote 1

And now a moment from George Carlin, on nothing other than Bullshit!  If you so desire, when he talks about Bill Clinton, you can substitute Donald Trump.  Enjoy!

• Great Response! 1

2 hours ago, James Regan said:

This will be my last one dont want to bore anyone too much, this is the St Ninian Cross roads the first slight curve after the start before they had down Bray Hill at 180mph, this shows you the reality and skill, dont blink.

I really hate it when my front tire comes off the ground....and then I have to clean out my shorts...😂

• Haha 2

(edited)

1 hour ago, Dan Warnick said:

And now a moment from George Carlin, on nothing other than Bullshit!  If you so desire, when he talks about Bill Clinton, you can substitute Donald Trump.  Enjoy!

Brilliant- He managed to nail it, only a BULSHITTER would debate this...........

BULLSHITUPROFEN-Upset stomach, nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, constipation, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly.If your doctor has directed you to use this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.This medication may raise your blood pressure. Check your blood pressure regularly and tell your doctor if the results are high.Tell your doctor right away if any of these serious side effects occur: easy bruising/bleeding, hearing changes (such as ringing in the ears), mental/mood changes, unexplained stiff neck, signs of kidney problems (such as change in the amount of urine), vision changes, symptoms of heart failure (such as swelling ankles/feet, unusual tiredness, unusual/sudden weight gain).This drug may rarely cause serious (possibly fatal) liver disease. Get medical help right away if you have any symptoms of liver damage, including: dark urine, persistent nausea/vomiting/loss of appetite, stomach/abdominal pain, yellowing eyes/skin.A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is rare. However, get medical help right away if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.In the US -Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088 or at www.fda.gov/medwatch

Edited by James Regan
  • Like 1
  • Great Response! 1

6 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

This is how I find myself feeling about this Corona virus.  I dont feel at risk or that those at high risk should be out and about mabey the government could use the EI system to find workers and create jobs in pandemic food delivery. Same thing but different harness when roofing... mandatory my third ticket was supposed to be like 5k and 25k to my employer. You know on a 3 story your gonna harness... on a 1.5 with 5 guys on the roof plus 4 air hoses your at 9 rolly objects on a slant that tangle just makes it harder. Meanwhile you walk around walmart and theres sugar lickin butter suckin smokers at 400lbs lol and I'm the one at risk? (WAS)... became a mechanic to work under cars on hoists inspected by guys I wouldn't trust to change a wheel lol. Life is funny.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/25/2020 at 12:46 AM, Jan van Eck said:

Airbags are dangerous devices, especially to drivers, passengers, small children, and your dog.  But remember the reason airbags were developed.  The US Feds mandated what were called "passive restraint systems," so that if you got in and drove off and didnot fasten the safety belt, you would still be protected from ejection, either through the side window or the front windshield if that popped out.  At fist the industry attempted the "automatic safety belt" with that retainer devisce in a track  that ran up the side of the front pillar and up and over along the roof line.  But that was cumbersome and mechanics loathed it as it cycled each time you opened the door.  Sothey developed the airbag, and now the bag deploys so that when you crash there is something to keep you from going through the window.  If everyone fastened up the standard cheap safety belt then there wiould be no need for the airbag.   

Hoepfully, none of the airbags will ever work in any of my cars.  Put on the belt, you are plenty safe, and don't drive like some drunken lunatic. I have yet to have my first crash, and I have been at it for a half century.  Not that hard:  drive prudently, don't speed, and leave distance.  All there is to it. 

Totally agree with the last sentences. Disagree about should an airbag be in a car. 100% yes. They help even those buckled in. New airbags arnt that bad. I got my forehead split open (not bad but a bit) by a airbag hitting a telephone pole as a front passenger in a 97? dodge neon. My Seatbelt was on . Not guy (friend)  behind me and the result was me breaking my back (put simply) and him his femur. My door was jammed shut cause the pole was directly infront of my seat and crunched the q panel under the door seam. I got out and pulled out the friend behind me. My neck was very bruised.... long story short I know a good airbag whack lol. New ones are muti stage and have redundant safety's and even weight sensors in seats (that light boxes set off and cause annoying codes - if your the tech) that wont deploy if a small person is there. I still love all things with a engine lol I only do it safer for my kids. If the law is a certain speed a governor would be easier. Mabey make GPS mandatory and have 120kph max on road... probably what self driving cars is all about. We just had a 26 year old die around the corner from us 3am his was the only car in the accident on a pin straight hill. ... the given is that people are dumb (and machines do fail) and since that is the case air bags are mandatory.  

My wife and I just watched "12 Monkeys" with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt (Brad could still act back then, :) 1995).  Odd that that movie just became available on our Netflix library.  Toooo many similarities to the current world situation.  Why?  And why to they make movies like that that could give nasties ideas?  Is the CIA really imbedded in Hollywood?  Why would they want to have millions of people watch a movie like "12 Monkeys" at this time?  Concerned viewers want to know!

• Like 1

Jan van Eyck:   And it costs you a dime a day to run!  You arrive at the "office" nice and cool, not all sweaty as with a bicycle that you actually pedal.  Cheers. 

In my experience, just using a bicycle costs more, between check-ups, parts and accessories, easily more than a quarter a day if you do it every day.  Still a good deal... you can save on exercise machine/club and break even!

Most impressive bicycling quotes I heard:

"In winter, many people prefer bicycles [in Fairbanks, Alaska] because its gets so cold that cars are unreliable."

"[reply, doesn't it get hot in Pheonix when you bike 8 miles each way?] On hot days I take two bottles of water." 

• Haha 1

(edited)

16 hours ago, Dan Warnick said:

My wife and I just watched "12 Monkeys" with Bruce Willis and Brad Pitt (Brad could still act back then, :) 1995).  Odd that that movie just became available on our Netflix library.  Toooo many similarities to the current world situation.  Why?  And why to they make movies like that that could give nasties ideas?  Is the CIA really imbedded in Hollywood?  Why would they want to have millions of people watch a movie like "12 Monkeys" at this time?  Concerned viewers want to know!

Netflix just launched Season 9 of Walking Dead- mind boggles....

Just to get back on topic someone sent me this yesterday about how the Scots (not Scotch) handled DT, if your offended by Scottish swear words don't watch it, we are a bit blunt at time. Skirtwearers had him sussed LMAO.

Edited by James Regan
  • Haha 1