AB

Los Angeles Painting City Streets White In Bid To Combat Climate Change

California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious and cooler summer. They have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change. The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile. I haven't expected this kind of combat against climate change. 

• Upvote 1

Being from California and living in desert almost my whole life - this is a great and unorthodox idea. It's unbelievable how hot it's been getting the past couple of years. Hopefully this does alleviate "heat islands" as they called it. 

Definitely interesting - never heard of this before. 

Interesting idea - I'm sure there's a lot of places that can benefit from this ( UAE definitely has the money).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TomTom said:

Interesting idea - I'm sure there's a lot of places that can benefit from this ( UAE definitely has the money).

They'll be painting their streets in gold.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how will they mark a pedestrian lane? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormysaga said:

California officials are hoping their latest attempt to stem the rising tides of climate change leads to a more socially conscious and cooler summer. They have been painting streets white to reduce the effect of urban "heat islands" and combat the effects of climate change. The LA Street Services began rolling out the project last May, which preliminary testing shows has reduced the temperature of roadways by up to 10 degrees. While each coasting could can last up to seven years, they are also pricey, with the estimated cost of $40,000 per mile. I haven't expected this kind of combat against climate change. 

$40,000 per mile per seven years? Surely you jest. No matter; there are only 7,300 miles of road and alleys in LA....

11 minutes ago, BlackTortoise said:

I wonder how will they mark a pedestrian lane? 

yellow

Making the city more livable has no price. But definitely has nothing to do with climate change. 

4 minutes ago, Rodent said:

$40,000 per mile per seven years? Surely you jest. No matter; there are only 7,300 miles of road and alleys in LA....

:o

9 hours ago, CMOP said:

They'll be painting their streets in gold.

They would have done the white-street thing already. But they're used to the heat, I guess.

That's some price tag per mile!