Reddit found 1,000 Russian troll accounts

Reddit says it has identified and plans to purge 944 accounts suspected to be tied to the Internet Research Agency (IRA), a Russian troll farm that has been linked to an alleged campaign to spread disinformation and propaganda on US social media sites before the 2016 elections.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman wrote that of the accounts that had gained “karma,” or the site’s metric for activity, more than half had already been banned ahead of the site’s investigation into Russian accounts. He said that seven accounts with a significant amount of activity “made it past our defenses.”

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reddit can deny it all they want, but I can’t take them at their word

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

Reddit can deny it all they want, but I can’t take them at their word

yes, somehow I don't place my trust in such sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am interested to see a statistic on which subreddits these accounts were most active in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Hajga Loma DK said:

Reddit says it has identified and plans to purge 944 accounts suspected to be tied to the Internet Research Agency (IRA), a Russian troll farm that has been linked to an alleged campaign to spread disinformation and propaganda on US social media sites before the 2016 elections.

Reddit CEO Steve Huffman wrote that of the accounts that had gained “karma,” or the site’s metric for activity, more than half had already been banned ahead of the site’s investigation into Russian accounts. He said that seven accounts with a significant amount of activity “made it past our defenses.”

 

So troll is now anyone who doesn’t agree with liberals?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JohnAtronis said:

So troll is now anyone who doesn’t agree with liberals?

I thought snowflakes are limited to the Northeast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

84 Tumblr accounts
470 Facebook accounts, not including russian run pages and groups
87 Million users sucked up in the Cambridge Analytica info grab. 
200+ Twitter accounts that effected over 1 million other users 
65 Instagram accounts just from the one Russian troll farm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to see a company being proactive. But if the news from Reddit or similar junk can shape our politics, we don't deserve any better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

84 Tumblr accounts
470 Facebook accounts, not including russian run pages and groups
87 Million users sucked up in the Cambridge Analytica info grab. 
200+ Twitter accounts that effected over 1 million other users 
65 Instagram accounts just from the one Russian troll farm.

How many on Disqus today

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hajga Loma DK said:

no trolls on pornhub

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites