Marina Schwarz

Can Saudi Arabia Afford Vision 2030?

I've been seeing way too many headlines including Saudi Arabia and billions of dollars in them. So, the Saudis are clearly on a spending spree but I'ms tarting to doubt they can afford it. They've only got $250 billion in their sovereign wealth fund, this year they'll have a deficit north of $50 billion, and just a quick roundup of only the biggest projects yields a bottom line of more than $700 billion. Yeah, sure, this won't all have to be paid this year or next but it is still a lot of money, even if SA only has to contribute half of it.

• Like 1

Looking at your numbers they aren't looking  that bad in comparison to many of the big dogs you hear about daily

• Like 1

What big dogs would these be? Can't think of any other government with such an ambitious reform program.

On 4/16/2018 at 12:59 AM, Tluke said:

Looking at your numbers they aren't looking  that bad in comparison to many of the big dogs you hear about daily

they are definitely diversifying into many projects as opposed to other giants as you mention. 

Way too ambitious, I think, unless you're siphoning money off of your citizens. 

The numbers simply do not add up and talk about "foreign investors" is not enough to convince me the money is actually coming.

It's not just foreign investment. As has been discussed a few times on this community, he's forcing his own business elite to invest in his projects. 

I always say and repeat that geopolitical and political risks mount and are quintessential for all the implications of Vision 2030 carried out by MbS in Saudi Arabia, and the social and demographic consequences it might probably have in the long run as well as regarding the influence and sentiments it might carry out in the religious hierarchy in the country.