CMOP

Apple memo warning employees about leaking gets leaked

Fun Fact: The memo sent to Apple workers about the consequences of leaking - well as you may have guessed was leaked. 

Apple recently sent a lengthy memo admonishing employees against leaking.

The memo warned that Apple "employees, contractors, or suppliers—do get caught, and they’re getting caught faster than ever.

Leakers face jail time and massive fines for network intrusion and theft of trade secrets both classified as federal crimes. In 2017 - 29 leakers were caught - of which 12 went to jail. 

• Like 1

Have they caught the leaker of the leak memo yet?

@Marina Schwarz not yet!

• Like 1

"Leaked memo" on "leakers"? The irony. 

• Like 2

Leaked Apple memo says 12 employees were arrested last year for leaking secrets. Weird how Apple employees get arrested for leaking more than FBI/DOJ/CIA employees :)

• Like 1

Very little information these days can truly be kept under wraps. With as many outlets as there are now for disseminating information, and the propensity for, in today's digital age, sharing every piece of your own (and everyone else's) personal business, breeds a new generation of people who are incapable of secret-keeping or even normal discernment of proprietary information. Said sharing can include everything from "look what I ate for breakfast, lunch, and dinner" to "I heard Josie slept with Billy" and all the way to "my company just asked me to do something illegal in this memo" or "here's what my company is working on today".

What's lacking is good judgement and context--and without both we are surely doomed.

Apple, proud sponsors of this new generation, should expect nothing more.

• Upvote 1