Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AN

Syria: The great distraction that will temporarily boost oil prices

Well, wouldn't be the first president to try to control news flow with a well-timed missile strike in Syria. Yay, oil prices! But any uptick in oil prices won't be long-lived unless it turns into an actual war and that largely depends on whether Russia wants to play along and is willing to do it over Syria. Just as big of a WWIII threat is the Iran-Saudi-Israel angle, as US pushes Saudis to collaborate with Israelis against Iran (that's probably the bigger threat). MBS can't contribute that much without risking Vision 2030 because he's already fighting a losing war that's much too expensive in Yemen. In the meantime, will it distract enough from the White House chaos? Probably not because Americans are rather numb on Syria and tend to eat up the local drama more exuberantly. 

I think you'd be surprised at how easily people can be distracted. We're all like rats with new garbage prospects. 

2 minutes ago, Carlsbad said:

I think you'd be surprised at how easily people can be distracted. We're all like rats with new garbage prospects. 

That's pretty dark. Even if true, I'd rather not think about it. Re oil prices ... 

both WTI and Brent are trading down: 

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 6.48.36 AM.png

I think this is all a bit overblown, like everything. US markets haven't missed a beat. Indexes all up. Dow up 144 points right now

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 9.53.16 AM.png

But the Saudis DO want regime change in Syria ... so what will this mean for those tricky alliances? If the US is attacking Assad targets and Assad is fighting the Islamic State and the US is fighting the Islamic State and the Saudis have basically created the Islamic State and funded it from the beginning ... and the Saudis seek to undermine Iran in Syria ... the math isn't that hard, really. Everyone starts propping up the terrorists in order to thwart Iran. Wouldn't be the first time.