Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KT

Erdogan most popular leader in the Middle Eastern mind?

Those of us who watch geopolitics might be surprised to hear that a new Pew Research Center poll shows that Turkish leader Erdogan is the most popular leader in the Middle East--meaning, he's viewed most favorably in the Middle East. Egomaniacal to the bone, Erdogan is certainly loving this. Friends on the ground in Turkey (and quite possibly half the Turkish population itself) will definitely take issue with this, but tyranny, it would seem, is paying off. On the surface, it may not seem to mean anything for energy, but pretty much everything on this geopolitical level means something for energy. Erdogan wants to be the ruler of a major energy hub between the MIddle East and ... well, the rest of the world. 

Not surprised. The Pew poll of course wasn't for Turkey, as I understand. But looks like he's pretty popular in Lebanon and Tunisia particularly. It's by default. Trump's Jerusalem gaffe helps because Erdogan then gets to come out, alongside Russia, with popularity-winning criticism. Lebanon's an eternal mess, as is Tunisia. From this perspective, Erdogan looks great.  

Haven't you heard? Erdogan has already declared Turkey the hub of hubs with the near-completion of the TANAP pipeline. Construction is (according to state-run mouthpieces) to be 94% completed by the end of this year. 

Great for PR, but TANAP alone isn't going to make Erdogan's dreams come true. Ask the Turks about Iraqi Kurdistan ... they just lost Kirkuk oil, which they were pursuing so aggressively. The Kurds were feeding them oil directly and bypassing Baghdad. Erdogan bowed under pressure and in the end came out against the Kurdish referendum. But this chips away at the hub dream ... 

So the Turks are cut out of Kirkuk / Iraqi Kurd oil now?

Not cut out entirely, as far as I know, but they're getting significantly less, and nothing from Kirkuk, the biggest fields. That'll all go to Iran for the near future. Baghdad is suing the Turks, and this is multi-billion-dollar case going down in Paris because the Turks cut deals directly with the Kurds. They might have won some reprieve in this suit by denouncing the independence referendum. 

I hear Erdogan's having trouble from other areas too -- as the hub reality fades. They were hoping to bring Eastern Mediterranean gas through Turkey to Europe, but Greece is also eyeing 'hub' status. I heard it's collaborating with Greek Cyprus and Egypt to bypass Turkey with an underground pipeline to Greece and then directly into the rest of Europe. 

so basically,, the PR is that Turkey is the world's biggest energy hub, and the reality is that ... it's not

Yes Turkey got the  title "The world's largest energy hub" even 8 years ago and it was given by domestic newspaper. Turkey allegedly gained this title thanks to a rash of at that time international agreements. 

17 hours ago, Kate Turlington said:

Those of us who watch geopolitics might be surprised to hear that a new Pew Research Center poll shows that Turkish leader Erdogan is the most popular leader in the Middle East--meaning, he's viewed most favorably in the Middle East. Egomaniacal to the bone, Erdogan is certainly loving this. Friends on the ground in Turkey (and quite possibly half the Turkish population itself) will definitely take issue with this, but tyranny, it would seem, is paying off. On the surface, it may not seem to mean anything for energy, but pretty much everything on this geopolitical level means something for energy. Erdogan wants to be the ruler of a major energy hub between the MIddle East and ... well, the rest of the world. 

I think that the catch is that he is only one there strong enough to counter US. Majority of other ME leaders are long departed

Erdogan is a personification of the dictator and he has done everything to clear all the traces of the reformer Kemal Pasa Ataturk in Turkey

I agree. Today Turkey is far away from the secular country and closer to the classical religious country  custom made by Erdogan. Totalitarianism 

Erdogan's closest and probably favorite partner today is Putin. This fact shows where Erdogan sees himself and Turkey. Classic  regime. 

Turkey spreads influence on the Balkans. With Russia, it is probably the most influential country in that part of Europe. That is something what should surely concern US because Putin- Erdogan lever won't be stopped by itself... 

In Turkey, same as in Russia, the opposition almost doesn't exist. As I already said, regime. 

4 hours ago, Adam Varga said:

Turkey spreads influence on the Balkans. With Russia, it is probably the most influential country in that part of Europe. That is something what should surely concern US because Putin- Erdogan lever won't be stopped by itself... 

Friends in Bosnia tell me there it's pretty much the beginnings of the second Ottoman Empire, but this time with "soft power" (schools, medical services, lots of business that no one can refuse).

Turkey imposes itself as leader of the Muslim world. As a strong response to the capture of Jerusalem, the capital of Israel, Erdogan's call on Jerusalem for the capital of Palestine has come ....

It's so interesting to me, the nutty leaders are always the dynamic ones that despite their nutterness (or because of?), they are magnetizing.

Sure strange how he supports a Palistian state but doesn’t offer the same to the Kurdish people.

And, what about this: 

'We have key suspects. We can kill and torture these suspects and their relatives (Gulenists) during the investigations and prosecutions!' -  statement of pro Erdogan journalist Cem Kucuk 

Before destroying the remnants of democracy in Turkey, Erdogan purged judges, fired prosecutors who were investigating him, called to arrest his opponents, and demonized the press—going after their wallets or singling out critical media outlets. Sound familiar?

democracy and freedom of speach

This is the 10 worst jailers of journalists in 2017: 
Turkey 73
China 41
Egypt 20
Eritrea 15
Vietnam 10
Azerbaijan 10
Uganda 8
Syria 7
Saudi Arabia 7
Bahrain 6

So then my visit to Turkey is cancelled. Great. 

The fight of Erdogan's regime with the people what they calls Gulenists, (belonging to the Fethullah Gulen movement) will never stop. There where they can and where they have a strong influence, eg Kosovo, they seek extradition of people (the last example is a teacher who lives and works in Kosovo) for whom they think they are working against Turkey .... The same goes for other countries.

Rod, If you do not prefer Gulen or Kurd's AKP, maybe you can visit Turkey ...Otherwise