Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VK

VW To Introduce Autonomous Parking In 2020

Volkswagen Group, which includes Porsche and Audi, is currently testing autonomous parking at the Hamburg Airport, with plans to put the technology into consumer vehicles beginning in 2020. For VW, self-parking is the next step after driving assistance systems in the evolution toward fully autonomous vehicles. The system will first be available at multi-story parking garages. The autonomous cars will have their own, separate traffic flow, so they won't be driving alongside human-operated vehicles. 

• Like 1

[sigh] Is it really that hard, learning how to park? Aren't there more important improvements to be made in the automobile industry?

• Like 1

I personally like this idea. I always lose most of my time looking for a parking spot and dealing with other drivers who actually have never learnt how to park their cars. 

They are also talking about robots that will automatically charge cars after it parks itself. Great idea for freeing up the charging infrastructure. 

I can only imagine the multitude of things that could go wrong here.  Is this talking about cars parking without a driver present? or a remake of the alreading existing self-park technology that requires a driver to be in the car? How is this different?  

maybe they should try autonomous transparency ... 

More nonsense tech jammed into a car that raises prices unnecessarily. Is it really that difficult to park a car? But still has a better case than autonomous driving, given the current climate of things.

We can all park just fine, that's not the issue. The idea is that without passengers needing to get out, these cars can park much closer together, saving valuable space. Also, it could really help keep drivings from driving around in circles looking for parking spaces, wasting gas and emitting more pollution then necessary. It's a good idea.