Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

New EV ETF Bets Bigger on BHP than Tesla

The Autonomous & Electric Vehicles ETF (NASDAQ:DRIV) targets companies involved in the development of autonomous vehicle hardware and software, electric vehicles and EV batteries and raw materials. BHP is at #10 and Rio is at #14. To compare, Tesla is far below, at #30. The stock make-up of the fund was done by algorithms but I think it demonstrates how raw materials for EVs are taking center stage over the carmakers: GM, Ford, and Volkswagen are all lower than BHP and Rio.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marina Schwarz said:

The Autonomous & Electric Vehicles ETF (NASDAQ:DRIV) targets companies involved in the development of autonomous vehicle hardware and software, electric vehicles and EV batteries and raw materials. BHP is at #10 and Rio is at #14. To compare, Tesla is far below, at #30. The stock make-up of the fund was done by algorithms but I think it demonstrates how raw materials for EVs are taking center stage over the carmakers: GM, Ford, and Volkswagen are all lower than BHP and Rio.

At least for the time being, even when carmakers are losing money on their EV lines, raw materials providers are still making money off the carmakers. It's a good bet--raw materials are needed whether EVs are profitable right now or not.

• Upvote 1

And with Rio it's a bet on batteries, too. That's the back door to investing in EVs. 

here's the fund's top holdings ... so chipmakers top the list:

Screen Shot 2018-04-18 at 8.12.52 AM.png

just started trading so no data to go on, but will be watching this one. like the basket. 

Keep an eye on SQM.

• Upvote 2

Which comp is better future /make big profit : CXO NOC, RSPP or GFKSY ?

• Like 1

CXO is an interesting case in theory, but not for me. Investors have been dropping the stock even though it recently made a move to turn itself into one of the biggest players in the Permian. 

none of these is really relevant to the subject at hand (EV and the EV back door) ... and I can't see the full basket, but I would definitely add aluminum to it. US premiums are going to hurt the EV industry, but all the more reason to have stocks like Alcoa in the basket to balance things out. Aluminum prices are skyrocketing right now on the back of tariffs and sanctions. 

12 hours ago, Kirk said:

Keep an eye on SQM.

Just said they'll be raising their lithium capacity to 100,000 tonnes next year.

• Like 1