Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ML

Anybody Watching Aluminum Stocks Today??

Not sure if anyone's paying attention but 2 aluminum producers looking amazing. Alcoa and Century Aluminum. Bought in the morning. They've been soaring on tariffs and Russia sanctions that took giant Rusal out of play. And Alcoa's earnings are today after the bell ... 

Got in on both of these this morning. Alcoa gained 4.45% so far today; Century Aluminum, 1.76%

I expect them to drop a bit right before close, though. That seems to be the pattern, and then they'll pick up again in the morning, assuming AA's earnings come in at least as expected. Assuming they meeting expectations, they only thing investors are looking at right now is whether the rally should continue because the market is tightening and there is still uncertainty over sanctions (good in this case). I mean, Rusal's not going to be 'un-sanctioned' ... 

so how is this going to play out? seems like there's going to be a supply bottleneck? maybe not, maybe just a redirecting of product. China would normally pick up the slack for Rusal, but can Rusal export to China and then China re-export to the U.S.? Illegal? too expensive? See lots of product started to come from Canada and Australia post-tariff (since both are exempt). 

Alcoa up to $61.50! Century ... meh

haven't had a chance to look over AA's earnings, but must have been good. Century's earnings call is May 3, after-hours.

Century ... we're beyond meh now. anyone know why Century is tanking now?

both Alcoa and Century are still down big time. Guess the action is over. Waiting on another wild Trump tweet so I can get out quickly. 

Yes. Wish I had known that before I bet on aluminum. Shame on me for trading tweets.