US eases sanctions on Rusal

Report post

The US Treasury Department eased sanctions on Russian aluminum producer Rusal and said it would consider lifting them altogether if the company severs ties with Oleg Deripaska, a Russian oligarch with close ties to President Vladimir Putin.Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin  said the department would consider a petition from Rusal to lift the sanctions, given the economic troubles the actions caused for U.S. allies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

Deripaska is alleged to have conducted a range of illegal activities, including money laundering, extortion and ordering the murder of a businessman, according to Treasury. He is also reportedly part of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

This is info from Treasury from before. So why the change? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

2 weeks of sanctions on Oleg Deripaska is clearly enough. I think he tanked 50 percent in HK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

4 minutes ago, 李伟王芳 said:

2 weeks of sanctions on Oleg Deripaska is clearly enough. I think he tanked 50 percent in HK

Those sanctions done did their job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

9 minutes ago, Nigerian Price said:

Deripaska is alleged to have conducted a range of illegal activities, including money laundering, extortion and ordering the murder of a businessman, according to Treasury. He is also reportedly part of special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 presidential election.

This is info from Treasury from before. So why the change? 

I also wonder why would the treasury department ease sanctions against a russian money launderer, oligarch and spy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

17 minutes ago, Hajga Loma DK said:

The US Treasury Department eased sanctions on Russian aluminum producer Rusal and said it would consider lifting them altogether if the company severs ties with Oleg Deripaska, a Russian oligarch with close ties to President Vladimir Putin.Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin  said the department would consider a petition from Rusal to lift the sanctions, given the economic troubles the actions caused for U.S. allies. 

Not going to happen. The real story here is that the Treasury Department extended the time frame during which companies could wind down their dealings with the faltering aluminum producer 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

softening Trump administration stance on sanctions imposed against Rusal just killed last week's breakout by Alcoa. Shares of Alcoa slumped 13.5% to 51.91 on the stock market yesterday, while Century Aluminum fell 5.3%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Report post

but this makes it impossible for traders! Alcoa, which we were tracking in a different thread, lost 14% yesterday and is still losing today. That's a massive one-day loss not seen in almost a decade. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0