Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JT

What happened to stocks yesterday?

U.S. stocks took steep losses yesterday despite solid corporate earnings reports as rising interest rates spurred uncertainty among investors. The 10-year Treasury yield rose to 3 percent Tuesday for the first time in four years, a threshold that investors generally associate with a fading stock market. This is all too sensitive for my taste. 

The Dow Jones industrial average closed 424 points lower, a 1.74 percent drop, after falling more than 600 points by midday Tuesday. The Nasdaq fell 1.7 percent on the day, while the S&P 500 sunk 1.34 percent. 

Investors are bracing for the potential impact of several factors that could suppress the stock market, including Federal Reserve interest rate hikes and trade tensions between the U.S. and China. Rising borrowing costs and higher prices for commodities could take a chunk out of corporate earnings and redirect investments into bonds and other safe harbor assets.

The Dow was down 9% for the past 3 months at one point today. It is flat to last October.That is 6 months of zero gains

Just now, Stephen said:

The Dow was down 9% for the past 3 months at one point today. It is flat to last October.That is 6 months of zero gains

Remember the recession of 08', the stock market was doing the exact same thing. 

Just now, Cokiga Damke said:

Now they repealed Dodd Frank and I am worried that it could be lost worse than 2008.

1 minute ago, Cokiga Damke said:

Rising inflation, rising gas prices, rising debts and deficits, rising interest rates, stock market crashing. Sweet

1 minute ago, Cokiga Damke said:

only this time, we are going alone into it

Companies buying their stock back with their tax cuts never moved the economy. Strong middle class did

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joanna said:

U.S. stocks took steep losses yesterday despite solid corporate earnings reports as rising interest rates spurred uncertainty among investors. The 10-year Treasury yield rose to 3 percent Tuesday for the first time in four years, a threshold that investors generally associate with a fading stock market. This is all too sensitive for my taste. 

It is a "stormy" market indeed

1Q GDP is now projected to come in at only 2%. President promised 5%

Just now, Nigerian Price said:

1Q GDP is now projected to come in at only 2%. President promised 5%

3% would be a miracle 

Just now, Stephen said:

3% would be a miracle 

3% is needed just to keep the deficit where it is now. You need greater than 3% growth to pay for tax cuts

16 minutes ago, Joanna said:

"Along with interest rates, other costs are rising for companies, with the potential to bite into profits and dampen earnings growth. This earnings season, with double-digit growth, was expected to pump up stock prices and take investors' minds off trade wars and geopolitical concerns. But strong earnings may have opened the door to a new concern — commodities and labor costs are going up along with interest rates."

2 hours ago, Joanna said:

US equities are overvalued at present levels. Tax cuts are done, oil prices are rising. 

I think that its the fact they raised the minimum wage. I used to pay a dollar for my prescriptions and now I pay 3. thats 3 times as much from 12-2017 to 4-2018. They raised the minimum wage for the worker by $2 and hour and now the cost of everything has to be 2 to 3 times hirer to cover this? inflation? I just find it plain bad math and economic planning.