Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marina Schwarz

40 Companies Sign Up for the UK Plastics Pact

More than 40 retailers and consumer goods companies have pledged to eliminate single-use plastic bag use by 2025, replacing it with biodegradable, recyclable or reusable alternatives. And here I thought any plastic bag can be reusable but how does that help the environment? Names include Nestle, Coca-Cola and Procter & Gamble plus the largest supermarket chains in Britain.

We are talking about more than 40 companies responsible for more than 80% of plastic packaging on products sold in UK. What will really change? Recycling is not a magic solution and just because you put it in the bin doesn’t mean it will actually be able to be recycled. What we need is less wasteful and diverse forms of packaging. We don't need so many different kinds of plastic for our stuff.

• Upvote 1

Exactly. That made me wonder what is the big deal with this initiative. But I remember there was a supermarket in, I think, the Netherlands, that eliminated all plastic packaging, including for things like coffee and chocolate. Can't remember the details, though. It's not easy to do when we're so dependent on/used to plastic bags and packs.