Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jose chalhoub

North and South Korea talks and implications

So its finally happened, North and South Korea leader have met in the DMZ in the middle of a global fanfare, with the blessings of the international community. But the implications for global oil and gas prices still have not been measured yet. But being the region an important hub of oil and gas production and being Russia and China important energy players along with the United States becoming an important LNG exporter to countries like China, South Korea, also being North Korea an important energy importer from Russia, we should monitor the implications of this historic event for global oil and gas prices and geopolitical dynamics soon. 

lot of variables here and paths to go down but on first glance I don't see any negatives

• Like 1

I don't know how will implicate on price of oil, etc, but I'm sure that is most important step for peace on Peansula in last 60 years. And, the only real peace will come when Koreans, north and south, can cross the dmz without being shot. Peace should be uphold

image.png.bbe10d6fd1b3e1110416066f689c9a7f.png

well i agree... lets just wait if this can be sustained in the long term... 

I mean, ostensibly, it would open up a legitimate market for oil and gas ... but that presumes buyers that can actually pay. so i think we're very far from all of lot for the time being. 

• Like 1

This week could be the most interesting week in last decade... Trees where planted to cement historic moment between US - France; South Korea and North Korea...

image.png.f7a7a6378abe1db19a755dafa0ce11e3.png

• Like 1

well im aware that south and north korea actually are not considerable oil producers but importing countries especially of natural gas since the whole asian region have been turning to LNG, but being the region where the peninsula is located home to important oil producing hubs such as the south china sea and also close to transit chokepoints, this could actually reduce the tension to the element of transportation of oil and LNG tankers from the U.S., the Persian Gulf, etc. Definitely a risk reducing situation at least in the short term. 

also the reactions from Russia and China will be crucial to this historic moment. And especially when we are close to the potential rejection of the iranian nuclear deal... 

i was wondering how this recent development will influence in the future of the TransPacific Partnership and the willingness of the United States to reconsider its entrance into this mechanism, now that the situation of the Koreas seem to take a different path.