Tom Kirkman

China to transfer LNG technology to Iran

This bit caught my eye; the active transfer of technology from China to Iran is far more important than the money in this LNG deal:
==============================

"... the MoU is focused on technology transfer and entails the Chinese side to provide the know-how to design and build LNG units and offer engineering services. ..."

https://financialtribune.com/articles/energy/85478/china-nioc-sign-mou-on-lng-plant-construction

• Upvote 1

They are actively preparing for new sanctions. Smart. China is the closest to untouchable right now as we saw with the tariffs.

• Upvote 1

China doesn't pay to much attention to technology license agreements.  I believe the bulk of China's LNG technology was originally licensed from the U.S. - from Air Products based in Pennsylvania, for example.

Wondering if this LNG technology transfer to Iran is in retaliation to the escalating trade war between the U.S. and China.

11 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

China doesn't pay to much attention to technology license agreements.  I believe the bulk of China's LNG technology was originally licensed from the U.S. - from Air Products based in Pennsylvania, for example.

Wondering if this LNG technology transfer to Iran is in retaliation to the escalating trade war between the U.S. and China.

it certainly won't do it any good! 

20 hours ago, Tom Kirkman said:

I don't really think this is retaliation. China doesn't retaliate just to retaliate. They're far too strategic and all about soft power. But, yes, it's more or less the U.S. giving Iran LNG tech by way of China :) And it definitely makes sense. So that's China getting in front of the South Pars gas largesse, and Iran would love to have that market share. 

• Like 1

Yep, retaliation might not have been the best word to use.  The Chinese government tends to be pretty methodical, and use checkbook diplomacy rather than barrel of a gun diplomacy.

Tom

Its been awhile. I was struck by the parallel of India offering LNG regas technology to regional neighbors and the potential threat that represents to Excelerate as well as to their Norwegian competition. Apparently they are in the process of installing a FSRU and are anxious to share the technology with other smaller LNG importers.

• Like 1

Hi Eric, how are you doing these days?

Recently I had the (retired) head of R&D at the National Iranian Oil Company ask me about some technical specs regarding the small scale LNG regasification units which I had mentioned over on LinkedIn.  So it seems Iran is indeed interested in LNG technology.

Interesting that India is offering small scale LNG regas units to other countries.  As the price of oil goes up, both small scale LNG liquefaction and regasification may become more popular.